Status: In Progress.

Listen to Your Heart

Memories

"So what do you want to do?"

"I don't know," I said as I shrugged. "What do you want to do?"

"I don't know. What do you want to do?"

John and I went back and forth like that as he drove us around in his car. I thought he would at least have an idea of what we would be doing since he was the one who had invited me and all, but of course he had not planned it out. That was John for you.

"I don't know," he said for the hundredth time. "What do-"

"Okay!" I suddenly yelled. "Enough already!"

"Tell me where to go and I'll stop," he said as he smiled at me.

"I don't care where we go," I said. "Just please stop with the whole 'what do you want to do?' thing."

"I know what we can do now," he said suddenly.

"Good," I said.

Before long, John pulled into a familiar parking lot. I smiled as I recognized it instantly. It was the old putt putt golf place we all used to hang out at as teenagers. It brought back so many memories. I looked over at John to find him smiling too.

"I can't believe this place is still here," I said as we both got out of his car. "It still looks the same."

"Yeah," he said. "Remember all those weekends we came here to hang out? What was up with us hanging out here? We were such losers."

"Speak for yourself," I said. "You're the one who always wanted to come here. I just tagged along."

"Ouch," he said, faking a hurt expression. "That was mean, Brooke."

I smiled innocently at him and followed him inside. He payed for everything even though I protested. I was fine with helping pay, but he wouldn't have it.

Once we were set, we both walked outside to where the first hole was. John volunteered to go first so I stood off to the side and watched him.

"Ready to get your ass beat?" he asked before he went.

"Want to put your money where your mouth is?" I asked.

"Fine," he said. "Twenty dollars sound good enough?"

I stared at the smirk on his face for a moment.

"Fifty dollars."

"Whoa there, Brooke," he said. "I don't want to have to take that much from you."

"Just shut your skinny little ass, O'Callaghan, and make your move," I said.

"That sounded dirty, Matthews," he said.

I blushed when he said that, which caused him to laugh. He finally shut up after a few moments and began concentrating. It took him only two tries to get the ball to it's destination.

"Beat that," he said, sounding smug.

I walked to the spot he was at previously and concentrated very hard. It had been a while since I had played so I didn't know how well I was going to do. I finally gathered up the nerve to swing and jumped from excitement when I made a hole in one. I turned to find John's eyes wide.

"You were saying," I said, calming down and putting my hand on my hip.

"Lucky first try," he said with a playful glare. "Let's see you do that again."

It was amusing seeing John that way. He had always been quite competitive. I would usually let him win stuff because he would throw a sort of tantrum if he didn't, but I wasn't going to let him win this.

----------------


John and I were neck in neck when we got to the last hole. It was any ones game at that point. I was determined to beat him though.

"Ready to lose?" John asked me.

"Are you speaking to yourself?" I asked, smiling. "That's weird, John."

"Funny," he said. "Very funny."

He concentrated on getting a hole in one. After a few moments, he hit the ball. For a split second, I thought it was going to go in, but smiled when it stopped near it. He said a couple of profanities as he walked to it and swung lightly to get it into the hole.

"No pressure, Brooke," he said as he walked to where I was.

I ignored his comment as I walked to the spot. I breathed in deeply as I concentrated. It took me a few moments before I finally swung. I watched as the ball moved towards the hole. It slowed down once it got to it, making me think it wasn't going to go in, but, as if a gust of wind swooped in to help it out, it went inside. I had won.

"Son of a bitch," John said as he shook his head. "I want a rematch."

"You're not getting one," I said, smiling. "I won."

He walked to where I was and dug his wallet from his back pocket to give me the money.

"I don't want it," I said as I shook my head.

"But you won fair and square," he said. "We had a deal."

"Yeah, but I change my mind," I said. "Take me out to dinner and we'll call it even."

We looked at each other a moment before he shrugged and put his wallet back in his pocket.

"Good enough for me. Let's get out of here and go eat now. Losing makes me hungry."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope all of you like it. Thank you to everyone who has read, subscribed, and/or commented. I really do appreciate it :). Please comment and let me know what you think of the story so far.