Sequel: I'm A Mess
Status: up and running(:

Manage Me

Katie

I had been expecting Jack to freak out, call me a slut, and tell me to get the fuck out of his house when he heard about Kade. I was prepared for that. But Jack was actually calm, and that wasn’t something I knew how to handle. I felt like I was in a fog the entire time I had been talking to him. It wasn’t until he asked about seeing Kade that I realized not only was this real, but Jack wasn’t running for the hills. He was willing to make this work. I couldn’t help the huge grin that broke out on my face, nor could I stop myself from jumping straight into his arms. He made a noise of surprise, staggering slightly at the sudden impact. I buried my face into his neck, his arms moving to wrap around the bottom of my butt as my ankles linked together behind him.

“Thank you.” I whispered, pressing feather light kisses against his skin.

“What for?” His voice rumbled through my body.

“For being you. For not freaking out or hating me or running away. For wanting to still make this work even though I have Kade to worry about now. For just…being you.”

I could tell Jack was smiling even though I couldn’t see his face. He squeezed me tight before rubbing his cheek against my head, prompting me to pull my face out of his neck and meet his gaze. I unlocked my legs, dropping them back to the floor. Jack kept his arms wrapped around me. I reached up on my toes and placed my lips against his. I kept it short, knowing how easily the pair of us could get carried away. When we separated, Jack fell back on the couch, pulling me down with him. I let out a giggle, resting my head against his chest. I looked up to catch him smiling.

“Are you gonna answer my question?” He asked. I quirked an eyebrow, forgetting what he had even asked in the first place. He let out a chuckle. “About meeting Kade.” He prompted. My mouth popped open a little, realization dawning.

“Oh…uhm…well I’m not sure.” I stammered out. “I’m planning on waiting to see if my mom calls and if not she’ll be hearing from me in a week. I’d rather not bring lawyers into this because I don’t exactly have the money for it, but if that’s what’s necessary that’s what I’ll do. So, whenever I move him out of my mom’s house I guess.” I played with Jack’s fingers absentmindedly, thinking. It was then that I realized the one thing I had yet to do. “Fuck!” Jack instantly tensed, looking down at me. I chewed my lip, abandoning Jack’s hand to run my own through my hair.

“What’s wrong?” His eyes searched mine.

“I haven’t talked to the landlord at my new apartment yet.” I mumbled, moving to get off of Jack as I opened my phone. His grip turned iron around my waist and I stared down at him. He looked upset.

"What new apartment?”

“Well I can’t very well have Kade living here, Jack. I’ve been looking at this apartment for a while, it’s really perfect for the two of us, but I wasn’t planning on moving out for another week or so, so I haven’t called. I really need to make sure I can get moved in before I get Kade.” I was rambling, still attempting to move from Jack’s grasp.

Suddenly, my chest was pulled flush against his. I stared into his deep brown eyes, every thought in my mind vanishing without warning. His stare was intense and I found myself suddenly feeling light headed. It was another moment before he spoke.

“Why are you talking about moving out?”

I didn’t answer. I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to say. Jack stared down at me.

“I never asked you to move out, Katie. I don’t want you to move out.”

“Jack.” I said seriously, propping myself up on my elbows. “Kade is four. And he’s actually only been four for just over a month, so really he acts like he’s three. Which means he is going to be my main concern and he’s going to need a stable place to call home where there isn’t going to be loud parties or lots of drinking or other crazinesss. I’m not going to bring Kade into a situation where that’s probably going to be happening a lot, and I’m not going to make you give that up for me when we haven’t even been together for a full day.”

“You’re not asking, I’m volunteering. Katie, I don’t care if it’s been one day or one year, you are who I want to be with right now and I’m going to make that happen. So what if your son moves into the pool house with you, as long as you’re still here I don’t care. Okay? You need to get that through your head, Miss Feist.” His voice had turned teasing, his arms still locked around my body. “I am not letting you go anytime soon, no matter what.”

I smiled down at him. My head was telling me not to trust him, but I couldn’t help myself. Something about Jack felt safe. It felt like home. So I just nodded and laid my head back against his chest, loving the way his heartbeat thumped against my cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter and I'm sorry it's so short. I'm in a slight rut, you guys. I have officially figured out how the final few chapters are going to pan out, but I still don't have the chapters written up to that point. I'm contemplating a few time jumps, but I don't really want to do that, so just bare with me through the next several chapters, okay? I promise, it's going to get better once I hit the ending chapters.

Also, HOLY FUCKING HELL ALL MY BROTHER AND HIS FRIENDS DO IS EAT. If you also read Break Your Little Heart then you know that a few days ago I discovered my brother had eaten all of my Cookie Crisp without telling me, leaving me breakfast-less for the week because we each get a box of cereal and even though he was allowed to eat the rest of mine, I couldn't eat his. And now, I'm sitting here updating, and I look over in the kitchen AND MY FUCKING BROTHER AND HIS STUPID FRIENDS ARE EATING MY SHARK SNACKS. THIS IS NOT OKAY. My brother is only ever here for a few days a week, but I live here full time, so when I say something is my food, IT'S MY FUCKING FOOD. THAT MEANS I FUCKING BOUGHT IT WITH MY OWN GODDAMN MONEY.
...I realize this is extremely ridiculous, but I'm extremely ridiculous and I work hard for my money to buy my food with. And then when my little brother just waltzes back in here and eats it, it pisses me off. Also, he never apologizes or feels bad about it, which is also just rude. Anyway, back to things that you actually care about....

Thank you to the absolute best commenters in the entire world!:
newyork_xo
dakunaito
nathaliie
theofficialsteph
Perfect Porcelain
randomrebel
erratic
and
Dimitri4ever16
If it weren't for you guys this story would be dead right now. I'm not even kidding you guys, I would have lost motivation to push through my blocks a long time ago if you didn't exist. So thank you for being so lovely. All my love belongs to you. <3

Enjoy this picture of Rian and Cassadee being PERFECT AND BEAUTIFUL since I'm being so crazy and this chapter kind of sucks. Also, good luck dealing with the fact that your heart is now a gigantic pile of mush. You're welcome.
Image