Status: Slow but I want to write it damn it! Comment and subscribe!

All the Lights on You

I’ve Always Been A Mercenary

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠


It started the same as the last few mornings. The same tenor voice ringing throughout the hallways of the theatre. The man she had been seeing was here, she knew it. The part of her that wanted to run and flee the seen was struck with an awe. The voice had a range that could make most musicians give up on their careers. Why now? Because he thought the theatre was empty? Didn't this guy know that Amanda lived here and could go to jail for trespassing and all the vandalism? Whatever the reason he was here again but every time Christine made it to the stage he would be gone. She figured it must have been the backstage door he could hear as she opened it. Not today, she couldn't miss another opportunity to see who this was.

“So, let me save you. Hold this rope and I'll pull you in. 'Cause I am an anchor. Save her or feel it sinking in. Let me save you, hold this rope.”

Christine slowly as she could opened a side exit to enter a row of seats. She slipped in and carefully closing the door to make sure no sound echoed throughout the room. Her eyes scan the stage seeing the male performer center stage with his arms raised in front of him as he sang to the invisible audience. He was so animated in his performance as he moved around not tearing himself away from the crowd.

“I may never sleep tonight. As long as you're still burning bright.”

The man didn't have a microphone on but Christine was taken back at the power of the voice. The voice didn't crack, it never shook as he changed octaves as he pranced around the stage. He has experience, he had talent, but who the hell was he? She steadied herself as she leaned on the row of seats. How was he unknown and not a star in the spotlight? Christine asked herself why someone would go noticed with a voice like that. However she felt distracted by the voice, something familiar about the man but the song wasn't something she had ever heard. She was unaware how a voice could shake her foundation and not cause a memory to come up to tie with it. She knew she had heard this voice before but couldn't place it.

Her eyes fell on the mask on the man's face. Gold from what she could see as the stage lights reflected off of it. It didn't cover his whole face, merely the eyes and the nose. He clearly didn't want to be seen, but at the same time he did break into an theatre. However it was fitting, adding to his 'phantom' vibe everyone had been joking about. Clearly this wasn't an act of the supernatural but someone who had a decent amount of confidence.

There was no reason for all of this. Christine couldn't wrap her mind around why this man decided to do this. He destroyed sets almost every day this week and yet wanted to perform on this empty stage. He couldn't have been an upset actor that they hired; the group had hired everyone who tried out and still needed cast members. There were no arguments on what parts where given to actors so there was no reason he would be an upset member. But hell, she would have recognized it was one of her fellow actors.

His singing was brought to an end with a stung out high note followed by him bowing to the invisible crowd. Christine's eyes glanced over to the side of the stage as she saw Amanda come forward clapping at the performance. The man smiled and bowed towards her. Christine swore under her breath, the two knew each other. Amanda had been letting him in. Christine felt her stomach sink to her toes, she was in disbelief. Amanda had worked so hard to keep this theatre going, to keep her home that was attached to the theatre and yet she let this man sabotage the whole crew.

“Still lovely as ever.” Amanda's smile had reached to her eyes with the happiness she felt, “I can't believe how after all this time you still have that power.”

The man had chuckled, “Thank you. It's been nice to be up here. I feel like I never left.”

She changed the subject that caused Christine to slowly walk towards the stage, anger still in her bones, “You haven't destroyed anything today. You finally done?”

“I think they get the point. Show must go on but under my rules.” He growled under his breath, “This is my comeback.”

Christine's mind clouded with confusion as she spoke up, “What the hell?”

The two on the stage had turned to see Christine at the front row. Amanda cautiously put her hands up as she watched the male glare at Amanda, “You said no one would be here.”

“It's fine. We will work around this.”

The man backed up on the stage as a cloud of smoke erupted from where he was standing. Christine stood immobilized as the smoked soon cleared and he was gone. So perhaps not supernatural but at talented for one. Amanda sighed as she met Christine's eyes knowing she would have to explain herself, “Let me explain.”

Christine felt her blood boil, “Explain what? Who the hell is that? Why would you do this Amanda? Why would you let him do this to us? After everything we worked for.”

The response was stern, “I did what I did because time has been cruel to this place. We won't sell any tickets. People in this small town have forgotten us. I have to do this to bring this home back to life. It's over now Christine, we've done enough to attract attention.”

“Who is he?”

Amanda bit back her response, “In time I can tell you.”

“I want answers now!”

Amanda walked toward the end of the stage, “Darling, I know you do but have faith in this. That man has been making this play what it is. Those altercations in the music is from him, not me. He has a talent we need but the world isn't ready to receive it yet. I personally will pay for the damages but you can not let anyone know he is here. Christine this theatre relies on it.”

As much as Christine knew this whole situation was outrageous a part of her wanted to keep this secret. She wanted to get to know this unknown musician; this mysterious man who could outshine even Amanda on a good day.

“Promise me,” Her voice shook, “Promise me your intentions are for good and I'll keep it quiet.”

Amanda look as if she could cry from happiness, “I promise.”

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠


Brendon's back hit the foam mat under the stage's trap door. He laid there as the trap door closed and surrounded him in darkness. He couldn't catch his breath. Christine wasn't meant to see him so soon. Even if he wasn't a hundred percent devoted to Amanda's plan he couldn't shake his uncertainty. This girl could ruin everything he had been planning for the last five years.

The last time she almost caught him he had been excited but now he was filled with dread. The situation was becoming real for him. No longer were they on the drawing boards. He had to realize there was no going back. Finally, after all this time he would be remembered and not forgotten like he was. This small town was going to no longer morn but be amazed at his journey and his survival.

Brendon's heart still pounded as he closed his eyes to focus his mind from the whirlwind of emotions he had felt. She had heard him clear as day. The tables had turned. She had sneaked up on him when he had his walls down. He had been so careful, he had worked his time around her so he could have the upper hand. Brendon couldn't help but smile, it had been so exciting. It has been years since he felt an adrenaline rush quite like this.

He could get used to this.

He slowly stood as he walked his way under the stage back to his home. He had become accustomed to the lack of light that he could blindly sort out the corridors to the destination. No one up there had realized that when he fell through the stage he had ended up in an underground city. Sure, it had been rumored the city had been rebuilt on top of the old one but no one believed it. Brendon never did tell he reached this underground town. Flooded was the original story but it didn't matter. As long as Brendon was safe from up there he didn't care.

There had been some close calls due to the old structures under here had finally collapsed. Brendon was convinced that the town would be swallowed up by a sink hole one of these years. Not that there was much of a town anyways, they could always rebuild like last time. However, parts of this underground town had been left untouched. He could sneak his way around throughout the basement of the buildings grabbing what supplies he needed. The stores wouldn't miss what he took, he was simply just trying to survive. He couldn't live off Amanda forever.

“I'll repay my debt after all this.”

Brendon constantly reminded himself this as he stole more supplies. He easily could have stayed with Amanda but he rather live down here. He had his own living area. Brendon was housed up in a old pawn shop from what he believed was from the 1800's. He didn't care, he had a bed not completely rotten and a piano that had been left in the store. Both, older then time its self but he managed. A few broken keys couldn't hold him back.

Writing music is what kept him sane down here. Brendon knew he wasn't forced to stay down here but he couldn't imagine going back up after his family knew him to be dead. He couldn't stay down here forever but Brendon was honestly terrified to return to the town. He knew it hadn't been an accident that the stage collapsed. Someone wanted him dead. Surely now, after all this time, it was safe but would the person try again if they knew he had survived? Brendon pondered as he entered his home and tossing the gold masquerade mask off his face.

He ran his hands threw his hair sighing at the adventure he had. Amanda had convinced him to stay down here. 'Make a legacy of yourself' she had told him. Would this all be worth it? Brendon used to bring people from states away to see him back in the day but would this story sell to the market? These questions made Brendon uneasy.

His mother would kill him once she found out he was alive.

Brendon sat on the edge of his bed careful not to sit on his discarded sheet music. He had been writing in all of his spare time, one musical after another. He loved musicals and always wanted to direct one. Perhaps his time would come in the future. Possible have a musical shine on Broadway. A Tony award. Anything to make all of this suffering worth it.

If only those were his only motives.

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't even know if someone is going to read this, but if you do, thank you. It'll mean a lot to me. My depression took my writing from me and now I have it back. Excited to see what I can come up with.