Sequel: We All Fall Down
Status: Updates when possible.

Memories That Fade Like Photographs

I said I'd never forget your face

I didn’t know it could be possible to lose so much in such a short amount of time. I lived my whole life with them and then the one night I decide to rebel against my parents they’re gone. I came home with three squad cars in my front driveway. I frantically ran towards the house in fear and tears falling from my eyes only to be stopped by two officers. “Miss, you can’t go in there.” One of them told me. I tried pulling out of their grasps not knowing what to say finally I screamed out, “This is my house! Where are my parents?!”

“You’re the daughter of the Johnsons?” he asked. I looked up at him and nodded, “Yes, I am. I’m Lucy…” I sobbed, “Where are my parents?” The officer’s face fell, “Lucy, I’m Officer Campbell, this is Officer Martin. Is it okay if we ask you a few questions about tonight?” he asked.

“Yes, I will but answer mine first…” I said through my teeth. Anger was consuming my body with tears still pouring out. “Where. Are. My. Parent?!”

“I’m sorry Lucy but you’re parents aren’t here.”

“Where’d they go? What happened?” I cried.

“Lucy, you’re house was broken into and the criminals killed you’re parents. Your mother heard a strange noise; your father went to go check while she called 911. We caught the criminals just in time and we promise they’ll be locked up for a long time.” He said as if I were a young child.

Tears lightly came out of my eyes as I took in all of his words. Someone called him over and he left saying Officer Martin would bring me to the ambulance truck to get me a blanket and ask a few questions. Once we were settled by the truck he gave me a sympathetic look and started asking questions. “Miss Johnson-” I cut him off. “Lucy, call me Lucy or Lulu. Just don’t call me that.” I said looking past him at my house. He nodded in agreement and started over. “Lucy, where were you tonight?”

“I was out with my friends at a party…” I trailed.

“When did you leave for the party?”

“What time is it now?” I asked.

“2:19 am.”

“I snuck out of my house around eleven.”

“So, you didn’t get permission from your parents to go to this party?”

“What kind of questions are these? I’m not the one that fucking murdered my parents. I loved them and now they’re gone. Where am I suppose to go?” I snapped. Officer Martin didn’t flinch at my outburst. He just looked down and said he was sorry but its his job.

“I should be sorry. This is my entire fault… How did they get into the house?” I asked.

“There was no sign of breaking and entering but there was a window open, we believe that’s how they came through.” He sighed. I started to cry a lot harder than I had been that whole night. This was my fault. I left my window open. “Was it the window on the second floor with the roof sticking out the side?” I asked.

“Yes, how did you know?”

“That’s my window.” I said softly with shame.

“This isn’t your fault.” He told me. “It’s a terrible thing that a girl at your age has to go through this, losing both parents. It’s not fair.”

“Life’s not fair…” I mumbled. He nodded in agreement. I finally looked directly at him with sadness written on both of our faces. “Where am I suppose to go now?” I asked. He looked over at me and said, “Do you have any family that could probably take you in? If not we might have to place you into a foster home.”

“My mom was an only child, and both grandparents have passed. My dad has a sister, but she lives in Baltimore.” I sighed.

“Well, we know you can’t stay there tonight, so how do you feel about foster care till your aunt can come get you… wait, do you know if she’s okay with it?” he asked.

I nodded, “She’ll take me in a heartbeat. And I’d rather stay with a friend, if that’s okay?”

“Yes, that’s fine. Call up your friend, and then we’ll call your aunt and set up a day for you to go out there.” He said. I gave him a small, weak, sad smile and walked away calling up my best friend Brooke. After I told her what happened she started crying. She said that I could stay with her as long as I needed to but when I told her I was going to go live with my aunt in Baltimore she cried more and said she understands. When she came to pick me up Officer Martin and Officer Campbell were walking towards me and Brooke.

“Lucy…” Officer Campbell spoke softly; I turned around to face him as he held out two rings in front of me. “Are those… m-my parents wedding r-ring-s?” I stuttered.

“We believe so. We thought you would like to have them. In case you didn’t want to come back here.” He said. I looked at the rings trying to think of what I’d do with them. Then it hit me. I took off the silver chain around my neck and placed both rings on them. I hooked the necklace back around my neck and stared down with a sad smile. I looked up at both the officers, “Thank you.” I softly spoke. They nodded and genuinely said how sorry they were for my loss.

I went home with Brooke as planned, I cried myself to sleep that night with Brooke comforting me through it all. I was pretty sure we’d both would look like shit the next day. Honestly, I could care less. This was the last month of summer vacation and I was already having the worst of it. Now, I have to soon say goodbye to the one friend I’ve had since I was younger. It hit me hard as the week dragged on. Aunt Katherine flew out here the second she got the news. Once the house was cleared off from what had happened Brooke, Aunt Kay, and I went back to get my things. Then at the last moment before locking up the house for good, I turned and stared at the house I grew up in. Thought back to all the memories, all the birthday parties, everything. This was my last goodbye to a house I won’t be able to see for a long time, a house that reminded me too much of them.

I let a few tears roll down my face before I shut the door and locked it behind me. I picked up my bag and walked over to the taxi where my aunt was waiting patiently. I handed my bag to the taxi man and he put it in the trunk. I turned on my heel to face my best friend. A sad smile spread across both of our faces, hurt written in our body language.

“I’m going to miss you so much Lulu.” She said as a tear rolled down her face. I embraced her into a hug and we cried on each others shoulder. “I’m going to miss you too, Brooke.” When we pulled apart we wiped away each others tears and smiled happily at each other. “Promise to call me, Skype me, and all that other jazz?” she joked. I laughed for the first time in weeks as I stared at her, “I promise. And you, your mom and brother have to come down for holidays and such. I need you there as always… Promise?” I held out my pinkie finger. She smiled at it and wrapped her pinky around mine as she said, “Promise.”

And then I got into the taxi, we drove away and I stared out the back window at my friend who sadly waved as I drove away to my new life, a new life I now live. The life I share with my Aunt Katherine. Life in… Baltimore.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys like it! The boys won't be shown till the next chapter! So, if you want it up now, tell me! If not you'll be waiting (;

This story is for my cousin Bryanna, who told me to post it. So, i hope she reads it and likes it ;P

Comment and Subscribe, please!
I hope to see at least 5 comments before I decide to post the next chapter!

Outfit:
Lucy