Status: active.

Harmonies

Four.

By the look on his face, it seemed that he was surprised. He must not have planned that she would agree so quickly. From what she could gather, he had prepared an entire speech and in fact he had. She was the only person on the list of possibles that would even come near close to a good home for the child. He was determined to make her take him home.

They were heading to the child's playroom that the building managed. "You see, Mr. Preston," Arabella explained. "I have this thing. I can't leave innocent things, whether it be an animal or child, suffer. I lived with my mother for sixteen years. I know that a child is a big responsibility but he's my brother and I make enough money to do it." She didn't include that she worked piano gigs because she figured he didn't need to know that.

"Of course," he said, nodding. "If you do indeed decide to take Lennox into your custody, the state will offer a hundred dollar support check for food and a hundred dollar support check for other necessities." Arabella took this in. She had enough money in the bank to pay for this child's things, but if she didn't have to, she wasn't going to.

Inside the playroom, three kids all about one and a half it seemed, sat laughing as a girl made faces and funny sounds. The room was brightly colored and there were plastic toys and legos scattered around the floor. The two little girls sat with pig tails and ponytails in their long hair. They looked exactly identical.

Then, there was Lennox. His golden hair was cut short, buzzed slightly longer than a "short" buzz. Arabella's eyebrows knit together. They looked nothing like each other. The boys skin was the same color as hers, sure, but nothing seemed similar. His eyes were a dazzling green like their mother's unlike her own dark brown ones. Her hair was a dark brown while his was a golden blonde. She could see no similar facial features.

"That's my brother?" she asked, amazed. He was the most beautiful baby she had ever seen. He seemed to be happy and smiling; his happiness leaked into her every pore it seemed. The clock was ticking. She had begun to plan out her time already. The office would close in a little less than an hour. That would leave her with one hour and thirty minutes exactly.

"Yes it is, Bella. Shall we pick him up now and sign the papers to finalize the process or should we sign the papers then come back?" he posed the question.

Without saying anything, the brunette pushed open the door. Instantly four heads turned to look toward their guest. She smiled when Lennox's lips broke into a huge grin. He pushed himself up off the floor and ran toward her like he knew exactly who she was. He had no idea though. He was only interested in the curls that bounced and twisted when he touched them.

Arabella hoisted Lennox off the ground with her arms wrapped around his waist and set him on her hip. He laughed and giggled as he played with her curls. "I'm sorry. My name's Bella. I'm his older sister," she said to the bewildered woman.

She smiled the smile of a tired woman. "He likes to fly like a superhero" was all she offered as advice.

Arabella was out of the office at exactly five o' clock. She, in her opinion, had signed more than her fair share of papers; she had spoken to a childcare expert and got the basics on Lennox's development stage; she had been given a car seat, child locks for cabinets, and a box of Lennox's other things. She had piled everything into the backseat of her car, along with strapping the tike into his seat in the back all by five.

Her only worry now was what was the kid going to do while she play piano for the party.