They Never Meant a Word of It

Chapter 5

“Hello?” a voice called tying to sound as if it was talking to anyone.

“What do you want?” I croaked out between, my best attempt at, silent sobs.

“Are… you okay?” it asked as inconspicuously as it could.

“Why do you care?” I ripped the stall door open and snapped at her.

“I’m…curious.” she attempted to cover with what she wanted to think.

“Well, no. I’m not really okay. My step-brother really set me off.” I mumbled the last part.

“Aw, what’d he say?” she said treating me like a seven year old.

“He said it’s no wonder why my old family didn’t want me.” I mumbled again.

“Ouch,” she said flatly, without thinking.

“Yeah.” I mumbled self-consciously.

“So, you wanna come out now? I’ll even help you fix your make-up,” she said attempting to sound reassuring.

“Thanks,” I smiled weakly and walked out of the stall. “I’m Clarissa, by the way. Call me Claire.”

“I’m Cathleen. People call me Cathy but I hate that,” she told me, I laughed lightly.

“I won’t ever call you Cathy, I swear,” I giggled out.

“Good. Now let’s do make-up. Great shirt, by the way,” she said motioning to my shirt, I gave her a strange look, otherwise known as ‘what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about?’.

“I wouldn’t think you’d like Green Day,” I said crossing my arms and looking her up and down

“Don’t judge a book by its cover,” she stated with a slightly familiar smile

-Time Elapse-

It took a lot of tears and screaming of “That’s the wrong color!” and other various things like that, but we got it done. Best of all, besides my blood shot eyes you couldn’t tell I was crying.

“Thanks a million,” I said beaming in her direction.

“Anytime,” she said with a flip of her hair.

“Thanks,” I repeated a little quieter, “so… uh… I was wondering if you were like doing anything today? Cuz I was maybe gonna hangout with some friends…if you wanna come…”

“Oh, Claire. Listen…” she stuttered. Here comes something I don’t want to hear, I opened my mouth to stop her, but she beat me to it. “I…don’t think it’s best if we’re…seen together, ya know?”

My mouth formed a big “o” and attempted to not seem to upset.

“I’m sorry. We can still be friends though…if it’s like… just the two of us.” Cat said slightly awkward, rubbing her arm subconsciously.

“Yeah, sure.” I mumbled, my eyes becoming involved with my small tears in my converse and the many places they’ve taken me.

“It’ll complicate things, Claire. I’m wicked sorry,” She said placing a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged her hand off, if she can’t be friends in public why can she in private?

“Yeah. Okay. See you round.” I mumbled, self-conscious as ever.

“Bye.” she smiled weakly. Hello feeling of being a total reject. I turned and walked away attempting to not show the fact I cried over the fact I lost my parents years ago. I return to the quad and there they were, Patrick and his friends talking with mine. Cat had gone over to her table with her click. I rolled my eyes and went back over to my friends. Sisky elbowed Bill in the ribs and nodded his head to me.

“Look ‘Issa,” Bill started. I put my hand up to stop him.

“I don’t wanna hear it.” I stated looking away from him to Patrick. “Hey Patrick,” I said forcing a small smile.

“Hey Claire,” he said looking over to Bill, I turned to look as well. He was listening to Sisky talk to him trying to hide an expression of hurt upon his face. “What’s up?”

“Sky?” I half asked half answered as I turned my face to the sky. I continued to stare as words floated around my skull not entering. The clouds shifted slowly across the pale blue sky above the schools second floor. The sight made me think, nature was everywhere, in public if I may say so. The opposite of Cathleen was nature, she was so closed minded, fitting into the school clicks and categories, while nature was open and available for everyone.

“You alright Claire?” Sisky asked. I jerked my head down and spun to face him at the same time causing an extreme amount of physical strain on my relaxed muscles. My head spun and my hands clapped over my ears and formed tight fists gripping them. Someone placed a hand on my shoulder and I screamed out of fright and the source.

“You!” I screeched at Bill, “You’re the one causing this, remember?” I said throwing his arm on me. “I can’t believe your nerve! You think you can bring up my parents into this conversation when yours are never home! Just because my family didn’t want be doesn’t mean I’m an incompetent idiot!” I continued to scream, until things went pitch black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, it sucks. >___< Fairy should make it up to you with the next chapter, right? -elbos her in the side-