When I think of You

August 28, 2008

August 28, 2008
There’s a storm coming towards us and I can tell Mama and Daddy are getting scared. Food is scarce and they barely have enough to feed us, let alone feed themselves. Sometimes and most days we go without food. The longest I’ve gone without food is four days. Mama says I’ll stay alive if I find clean water but even that is hard to come by.
Everyone is preparing for the storm. They don’t have a name for the storm yet but they might have one in a couple of days.
People are everywhere in the Marketplace. Trying to buy food and repair their shelters so they can try their best to be safe during the Hurricane. But everyone in Haiti knows that that is almost impossible, seeing our history with Hurricanes.
I’m trying my best to help Mama with preparations but Mama seems so stressed and tired. I asked her the other night if she was all right. She tried her best to smile and look happy but I knew that in her eyes, she was sad.
I don’t want Mama to be sad.
Mama and I have been best friends ever since my old best friend, Anise, yelled some nasty words at me that Mama didn’t want me hearing. Mama got mad.
But that was the only time I have ever seen Mama mad. Mama has always been kind and gentle with my siblings and me.
I have three brothers and I am the only girl besides Mama in my family. My oldest brother, Michael, is fifteen and he loves sports. The next oldest brother, Samuel, is eleven, and he loves to help Mama, just like me. I’m next in the family. My name is Hanna Nockai and I am nine years old and I love to write. That’s why Mama and Daddy gave me this journal for my birthday last week. Then my younger brother, Austin, is six and he loves pretty much anything. He is a good younger brother. I did have an older sister, Kathleen, but she died during Hurricane Ivan in 2004.
I don’t have many memories of her.