Changing on the Fly

Pittsburgh

“My name is Nathaniel Gibbs and I am the chief of the LAPD. I am sorry to inform you this but Rick Hartmann passed away earlier today in a car accident.”

That can’t be true.” I said not wanting to believe the chief.

“Unfortunately Miss. Hartmann it is true.”

“Have you told his daughters yet?” I asked worried about how those two girls just lost their only parent.

“No we were going to pick them up from daycare and then tell them.” The chief explained.

“Can you not tell them and let me?” I asked as I was already booking the next flight out.

“What do we tell them when we pick them up then?” he asked curiously.

“Just keep them at their daycare and I will call a close family friend to pick them up and keep them until I get there.” I said coming up with a plan as I went.

Right after finalizing the plans with the Chief I broke down. My cousin died this morning, after I was just with him. I couldn’t believe it, Natalie and Fiona had no parents left, and both died too young. I just sat in the living room and cried for the girls, for Rick and for me until Max found me.

“Mon Cherie, what’s wrong?” I couldn’t even answer him because I knew if I said it out loud it would be real. I watched through blurry eyes as Max pulled out his phone and worriedly called Sid.

When Sid got here I finally was able to speak. “Rick” I sobbed “car accident” I sobbed again “dead”.

Once the broken sentence registered in Sid’s head he pulled me out of my seat and into a tight death grip hug. “C. when are you flying back out?” he asked.

“I have to leave for the airport in 20.” I said calming down a little in Sid’s arms. Sid pulled out his phone and did something with it before dragging me to my room and grabbing my bag and quickly throwing clothes into it.

“Come on I need to pack my bag quick before we head to the airport.” He said dragging me along. At this point I was too numb to even care about anything but those little girls who don’t deserve this.

The flight went by in a blur. I remember the flight attendant asking if I was ok and Sid forcing me to drink something. But before I knew it we had landed in LAX.

Sid and I grabbed our carry on’s and booked it off the plane and right to the car rental place before making our way to Mary’s house. Once we got there Mary gave me a sad smile before the girls came running out.

“C. I knew you would stay longer.” Fiona yelled once she saw me. She and Natalie had huge smile on their faces and I hated knowing that I was going to be the one to take it off.

On the way to their houst they kept talking. Asking Sid questions and laughing at something he would say, especially when he would say about.

“C why isn’t Daddy’s car here?” Natalie asked as soon as we pulled into the driveway.

“Why don’t we go inside and talk?” I said as Sid grabbed my hand for reassurance.

“Ok” the girls said together before running into the house. Sid and I slowly followed.

“Natalie, Fiona can you guys sit on the couch please?” I called once we were in the house.

“Already there” Fiona called from the living room. I took a deep breath before walking in.

“Do you guys remember where your mommy went?” I asked trying to figure out he best way to say this horrible news.

“Daddy told us she went to heaven.” The girls said together.

“Yes she did, and that’s where your daddy went to today.” I said as I watched the girls faces go from confusion to realization to sadness.

“But Daddy told us that once you go to heaven you can’t come back.” Fiona said.

“He was right sweetie.” I said knowing that they understand what has happened now that they are older.

“Then he died.” Natalie said bluntly. I just nodded as both girls broke down and I broke down right along with them I engulfed them in a hug while I did so and a few seconds later I felt Sid’s arms wrap around us as he comforted the three of us.

For the next few days we cried and slept. Sidney would make sure we ate and helped me figure out the funeral arrangements. Family and friends flew in for the funeral. Once I saw my father I broke down again because I couldn’t imagine what my life would be if I didn’t have him in my life.

“Shh, Ciara it’s alright, everything is going to be ok. He comforted me and I actually believed him even though those girls lost their father I knew they would be ok. They had each other and me.

The funeral was just like any other funeral sad and depressing. But it tired the girls out enough so that they were in bed by 6. This gave me time to talk to the lawyer about Rick’s will.

“I would have liked to have said it’s good to see you again Ms. Hartmann.”

“Same” I said getting nervous about where the girls would go.

“Now Ms. Hartmann, Rick had recently changed his will after his wife had passed.” I nodded my head and waited for him to continue. “He set up trust funds for both the girls which they will get when they are 18. So that they are taken care of, and he mentioned who he wanted to take the girls, if something were to happen to him. He named you as their legal guardian if you wish to be.” He looked at me.

“Of course I will be. They need someone that they know and trust to take care of them.” I said not needing to think about it.

“Good, I’m glad you said that he smiled knowing what happens when children are put in the system.”

“You just have to sign here.” Mr. Johnson said after he explained everything that went with the will.

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

The next couple of weeks the girls finished up school and I got a call from the Penguins management a couple of times asking if I needed anything and asking about a contract extension. I had to give them an answer by tomorrow I really want to go back to Pittsburgh but I need to do what’s best for Natalie and Fiona.

“Hey girls can you come here for a sec?”

“Sure thing, Ciara.” Natalie yelled from upstairs before I heard the sound of two sets of little feet running down the stairs.

“What can we do for you?” Fiona asked sounding so grown up.

“I have a question for the two of you.” The looked at me with those big blue eyes just like their fathers. “I know that you guys love it here but I was wondering if you wanted to move with me to Pittsburgh?” Both girls looked at each other having a silent conversation.

“Ciara can we tell you a secret?” Fiona asked.

“Of course you can.” I said wondering what the secret might be.

“Before you came out here we asked Daddy if we could move to Pittsburgh.” Natalie explained.

“Daddy said that we could because he was offered a job there but made us not to tell you.” Fiona continued.

“He wanted it to be a surprise we were going to move at the beginning of August.” Natalie finished.

“So you want to move to Pittsburgh?” I asked.

“We need a fresh start.” Fiona smiled. I smiled because I knew she sounded just like her father.

“Ok than we have a lot of packing to do. But first it’s nap time.” I smiled at them as they let out a yawn before running up the stairs for their naps.

I called Ray Shero to let him know that I will be rejoining the team next year. He praised the lord because he didn’t want to play against but then told me he would draw up the contract and it would be ready to sign by the time I got back to Pittsburgh. Once I hung up with him Sid called from his workout asking if I needed anything.

“Yes, I need as many boxes as you can find.”

“Boxes does that mean what I think it means?” he asked excitedly.

“Yes” I smiled knowing that no matter the turn of events I knew everything was going turn out all right.

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

A week later we had everything packed. I had found the perfect home for us to live in that wasn’t very far from Sid’s or my Dad’s new home.

“Are you girls ready for your first plane ride?” I asked as we sat in first class waiting to take off. The both nodded excitedly as they chewed the gum Sidney gave them to help prevent the ear popping. As we started to take off Natalie had a death grip on my arm. However once we were in the air Natalie and Fiona talked to everyone who would listen. It was adorable watching them go up to people and just start a conversation by asking what that person enjoyed doing.

Fiona got to one guy and he told her he liked to play hockey. Her face lit up like I was Christmas morning and she saw that Santa came. She called her sister over so they both started talking to him.

“Do you guys like hockey?” he asked. They both nodded quicklyt.

“Who’s your favorite team?” Fiona asked.

“I’m actually a Sabres fan.” The man said.

“We used to be Sabres fans.” Natalie told the guy.

“Used to? Who do you cheer for now?” he asked.

“The Penguins” Fiona said happily.

“Eww” the man said with a disgusted look. “Why do you like them now?”

“Because our cousin Ciara plays for them.” Natalie said with a wide smile.

“What are your guy’s names?” he asked.

“I’m Natalie and this is Fiona.” Natalie introduced them.

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Mike Foligno.” the girls smiles became bigger if that was possible.

“You the one who invented the Foligno jump.” I smiled at this because I was the one who taught the girls who Mike Foligno was because he was my Dad’s favorite.

“You have heard of me?” he asked surprised.

“Ya Ciara taught us so much about you and the Sabres. We even know the minor league players.” Natalie said.

“You two are very smart.” Mike said.

“Thank you.” Fiona said before the flight attendant told everyone to take their seats for landing.

“It was nice meeting you Mr. Foligno and tell your sons good luck.” Natalie yelled at him before sitting in her seat. Mr. Foligno turned around shocked but he noticed me and smiled.

Once we got our bags from baggage claim we went over to Sid’s. We would be staying there for a couple of days while we waited for the moving truck to arrive.

We ordered pizza that night and watched a movie. Before the movie was over Natalie, Fiona, and Sid were all fast asleep snuggled together on the couch. I quickly took a picture before carrying Natalie and Fiona to bed. When I came back down Sidney was awake on the couch.

“Are you ready for tomorrow?” Sid asked. I shook my head no. Tomorrow was a press conference; one reason was about my contract extension while the other reason was about Natalie and Fiona.

“Everything will be fine.” He assured me.

“I know, I am just worry about the girls.”

“I know you do, but I will be there to bring them out to you when you tell everyone. Plus if you need or want me to stay for comfort I will.”

“Please.” I said quietly.

“Anything for you.” He said before kissing me.

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

“Well don’t you girls look beautiful.” I told Ciara, Natalie and Fiona as they walked down the steps.

“Thank you, Sid.” Natalie said with a smile.

“You are mighty handsome yourself.” Ciara told me straightening out my tie.

“Well I have to look my best in order to look like I should be allowed around you three.” With that I watched Ciara’s shoulders visibly relax. She has been so tense the past couple of weeks with everything going on she needed to have someone joke around to keep her out of her head.

The ride to the arena for the press conference was quiet except for Natalie and Fiona singing to the country music I had on. Once we got there we headed right into the locker room, where I would be hanging out with the girls until Ciara brought them up in the presser.

“Ciara is this your locker?” Natalie asked noticing the name Hartmann on the locker.

“Yes, Nat and Sid’s is right next to mine.” She replied with a smile. “Now you two need to be good for Sid and I will see you in an hour, ok?” Fiona and Natalie nodded and Ciara was off to the presser.

“Do you guys want to watch Ciara?” I asked them.

“Yeah we always watch Ciara on TV with Daddy.” Fiona said and her face dropped knowing that she won’t be watching with her dad. She immediately started to cry.

“Hey” I tried to soothe. “Your Daddy is watching Ciara too, but he is just watching it from heaven.” Fiona just sniffled.

“Remember what Ciara told us Fi, Mommy and Daddy will always be with us in here.” The 6 year old said pointing to her heart. Fiona nodded with a smile before turning her attention to the TV where Ciara had just sat down with Mario Lemieux and Ray Shero.

They talked for a while about what an asset Ciara was to the team and how excited they were to have her back in black and yellow next year. We weren’t able to catch the beginning of what Ciara said because one of the interns came and got us.

“…speaking of family.” Ciara said as soon as we walked in. “A few weeks ago I had got some terrible news. A very close cousin to me passed away in a car accident. The person who hit him was texting while driving and ran a red light. His name was Rick and he had two beautiful daughters who had just lost their mother a little less than two years ago.” Ciara started to tear up little bit so she stopped talking to take a breath.

I knelt down to the girls. “Ciara needs you two up there to comfort her.” Both girls nodded and ran up. The reporters began to buzz when Natalie and Fiona hugged Ciara. I saw Fiona whisper something to Ciara causing her to smile.

“This is Natalie and Fiona Hartmann.” Ciara said after the tears had stopped. “They will be staying with me from now on.” With this news reporters just started throwing out questions to all three of them which they answered easily until one came up about me.

“Now it’s my understanding that you and Sidney have recently become an item.”

“You are correct.”

“How does he feel about taking care of these two girls?” The reporter asked. Ciara looked at me so I started to walk up to the make shift stage.

“Why don’t you ask him yourself.” She said. Once I sat down Fiona sat in my lap and the reporter repeated the question.

“I think Ciara is a very generous girl. It makes me proud to be able to call her my girlfriend. When the lawyer told her that she was the kids guardian now and if she wanted to continue to be there was absolutely no hesitation. Most girls around 19 would freak out if they were put in charge of two 6 year olds but Ciara took it with no questions asked. That shows how much she cares for these two girls.” I said staring right at Ciara.

A few more questions were asked before Mario shut the press conference down. We stayed and chatted for an hour with Mario. The girls instantly taking a like to him before heading home, home I liked the sound of that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. I know it's a little late but Congrats to LA Kings.