Changing on the Fly

Forever

The summer flew by, with all the things that were going on; moving myself and the girls to the new house in Pittsburgh, celebrating Sid’s day with the cup, celebrating my day with the cup, helping my father and sister move into their new house and then moving Matt and his best friend, Jace into my house. They decided to move in with me so they could help watch the girls while I was gone on road trips. So before I knew it Natalie and Fiona were almost a month into school, while the season started tomorrow, away in Buffalo.

I was just getting in bed for what was going to be a long day when I heard small feet coming down the hall towards my room before I watched the door slowly opened and Natalie peeked her head through.

“Nat, what are you doing up?” I asked.

“I’se had a nightmare.” She said holding her Penguin tightly against her chest.

“Why don’t you come in here and tell me about it.” I told her as I climbed into bed, she quickly followed.

“It was about you.” Natalie told my shyly.

“What about me?” I asked knowing that once she told what me what the dream was about she would be able to go to sleep faster.

“You were on your way home from a game and got into a car accident like Daddy did. Then I and Fiona was left with no one.” She said before she broke down.

“It’s ok Nat,” I said trying to calm her down. Finally after about 10 minutes she stopped crying.

“I don’t want you to leave Ciara.”

“I know you don’t baby girl. And I wish I could promise you that I would never leave, but you know I can’t do that.” I told her.

“Why can’t you?” Nat asked confused.

“Because no matter how much I don’t want to leave you two alone, sometimes the universe has other plans. But that is why every time I leave to go to a game or anything I will always tell you I love you no matter what. So you know how much I care about you.” I explained to her.

“I love you Ciara.”

“I love you too Natalie.”

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

“Hey Fiona it’s time to get up for school.” I said shaking her lightly.

“Ok,” she yawned as she climbed out of bed.

“Matty is making your favorite breakfast, for you and Nat.” She nodded still half asleep as I went to go change and grab my bag for our first away game. When I got downstairs Natalie and Fiona were already at the table eating their blueberry pancakes, I sat down and ate my power bar and protein shake when Sid walked in.

“How are my three favorite girls in the world?” he asked awfully chipper for 6:30 I the morning. The girls responded with a smile.

“All I got I get is a smile?” Sid questioned causing both girls to need. At this Sid quickly ran to over to them table and started tickling them, the kitchen instantly became filled with laughter. After a couple of minutes the girls finally gave up my by saying good morning. So Sid came over to kiss me good morning.

“That is defiantly not the first thing I want to see when I wake up in the morning.” Jace groaned as he sleepily walked into the kitchen.

“Well then don’t look” Matt said jokingly but there was something more stern behind it. For the past couple of weeks I have noticed something different about Matt and Jace’s relationship. They are still the best friends that I have always seen but they seem to be more on edge.

“Yeah but it’s hard when they are lipped locked right in the middle of the kitchen.” He joked back letting whatever the meaning behind the previous statement was to slide.

“Well what do you say we leave now?” Sid said looking at the clock.

“Bye girls, I love you.” I told them before giving them a hug and Kiss on the cheek.

“What about us?” Jace pouted.

“I counted you when I said girls” I joked. “You just didn’t give me the chance to hug and kiss you.” I said as I quickly did both of those things and ran out of the door as a piece of bread hit the back of my head causing Sid to laugh.

“Ready to go to work?” I asked Sid nodded with a huge smile on his face.

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

The season flew by without me even blinking an eye. We lost in the first round of the playoffs which hurt even more than I had expected, but Natalie and Fiona helped me though. Around Christmas time I finally found out what was up with Matt and Jace.

Flashback

Ok Matt enough is enough.” I said as we were on the way home from our sister bonding time.”

“What do you mean?” he asked acting confused.

“Are you gay?” I asked bluntly. That was the only thing I could think of that was why he was acting so edgy. “Because if you are I just want you to know I don’t care. You are still my brother and I will always love you.” I told him.

“Thanks, but I’m defiantly not gay.” He told me and I believed him for a change.

“So what has been keeping you and Jace on edge than?” I asked. Matt immediately looked down.

“You need to talk to Jace about that not me.” He said softly.

“Why?” I questioned now worried.

“Because it isn’t my place to say.” He said. This is something that I love most about my brother, the fact that I can trust him with secrets and I know he won’t go blabbing them to anyone who will listen. “How about I take the girls for ice cream when we get back so you can talk to Jace?”

“Thank you.” I said worrying about Jace. He was like another r brother to me except I used to have the biggest crush on him when I was growing up. He was the jock that every girl wanted but wasn’t a jerk like the rest of the guys. I was always around him because I was attached to one of my brother’s hips while he was attached to the other.

When we got home Matt quickly gathered up the very excited girls to go get their ice creams.

“Where did Matt go?” Jace asked when he came out of the bathroom.

“He took the girls for some ice cream.” I told him.

“Aww man, he couldn’t wait for me?” Jace asked.

“He didn’t think you needed anymore sweets.” I said trying to lighten my mood.

“Hahahaha, we got a jokester here.” He said fake laughing.

“No he is giving us some space so we can have a chat.” When I said that Jace immediately tensed and I saw guilt, worry and sadness cross his face.

“About?” he asked trying to play it off as nothing.

“About why you and him have been acting strange lately.” I told him.

“Oh that, it’s nothing you have to worry about, just some guy stuff.” I gave him a pointed look, knowing that wasn’t the truth because they would tell me if it was guy stuff. “Alright fine, Matt is worried about me.”

“What is he worried about you for?” I asked hoping Jace hadn’t gotten into drugs or anything.

“Don’t worry it’s nothing bad, he is just worried about me because of the girl I like.” He said the last part quietly. Knowing it wasn’t drugs I relaxed a bit, but I wondered why Matt was worried about the girl.

“Does he not like her?” Jace shook his head no.

“He’s worried because I am in love with her and I know I will never have her.” He told me honestly.

“Why won’t you ever have her?”

“She is in a relationship.” He said looking down embarrassed that he fell in love with someone who already has someone else.

“Oh, well is she married?” Again he shook his head no. “Then you still have a shot.” I told him trying to lighten his spirits.

“I don’t think I will ever have a shot with her.” I gave him a confused look. “She didn’t give me a chance when we were growing up so why would she give me a shot now?”

“Wait, she grew up with us?”

“Yes.” He said slowly like he wasn’t sure he should share that crucial information.

“Well than what are you waiting for tell me her name.” I said excitedly.

Jace just looked at e for a few seconds judging the situation before pulling me into him and kissing me. I am not going to lie, I kissed him back, I had always wondered what it would feel like kissing him but it wasn’t anywhere near as good as kissing Sid. Jace pulled back after a couple of seconds.

“I love you Ciara Hartmann, I have always loved you.” He said, and then started to run upstairs before I could say anything.

“Jace, wait.” I yelled quickly catching up to him in the stairwell.

“C, I know what you are going to say, so I don’t have to hear it.” He said before turning around to walk away again. This time however I grabbed his arm to stop him.

“Humor me then.” I said and he turned around to look at me. I had the biggest crush on you growing up. You weren’t just my brother’s best friend you were my best friend as well. If you would have told me how you felt 2 years ago, hell even a year ago I wouldn’t have even had to give it a thought. I love you but I am IN love with Sidney.” I told him

“I understand.” He said with a sad smile. “Don’t worry about me, I will move on, but trust me if Sid ever hurts you, don’t you ever think I won’t beat him up.”

“I defiantly wont.” I told him as I gave him a big hug.

Later that day I told Sid what had happened but he didn’t seem surprised it was like he knew that was going to happen.

End Flashback

“You ready to go C?” Sid asked me taking me out of my day dream.

“Yeah,” I said following him out to the car. We are up in Cole Harbour and today we decided to spend the day on the boat, just the two of us. On the passenger seat of the car there was a puck with a silver ‘I’ written on it and a #8 underneath it.

“I don’t know” He said shrugging his shoulders. I looked at him and he just shrugged it off. We went to Tim Hortons to get coffee and breakfast but when I stuck my hand in the bag to get the box of donuts there was another puck with ‘truly’ written on it in silver as well.

Once again I asked Sid what it was and every time he said he didn’t know. When we stopped for gas there was a puck at the pump with ‘person’ written on it. Throughout the rest of the day there were other pucks with one or two words written on it and a number underneath it. Every puck I got just confused me more but that night when Sid and I went out to dinner at Sid’s favorite sub shop called, Captain Sub. At the table we were seated was a mat with circles on it big enough for a puck to fit in it. Inside the circle were the numbers 1 through 32 on it.

“Here” Sid said handing me the bag that I put all the pucks I had found in.

“What is this Sid?” I asked still confused.

“Just match them.” He told me with a smirk. I gave him a look before I went to matching the pucks with the holders. When I put the last puck in place I read what the words said together.
Ciara Hartman, you are truly an amazing person. I wouldn’t be the person I am today if it weren’t for you. I can’t imagine a day in my life without you or the girls by my side. Will you marry me?

I looked up and Sid was kneeling next to me with the most beautiful ring I have ever seen. I just stared at him for a few seconds before his face went from a relaxed nervous to a freaked out nervous.

“C, do you wanna?” He asked.

“Of course I will marry you Sid.” I said finally finding my words before getting down and kissing him.

“I love you, Ciara Hartmann.”

“I love you too, Sidney Crosby.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, there are only a couple more chapters of this one left... comment and the sooner I will update. :)