Changing on the Fly

Epilogue

Weather Man said it’s gonna snow
By now I should be used to the cold
Mid-February shouldn’t be so scary
It was only December
I still remember the presents, the tree, you and me.

But you went away
How dare you?
I miss you
They say I’ll be ok
But I’m not going to ever get over you

Living alone here in this place
I think of you and I’m not afraid
Your favorite records make me feel better
Cause you sing along
With every song
I know you didn’t mean to give them to me

But you went away
How dare you?
I miss you
They say I’ll be ok
But I’m not going to ever get over you

It really sinks in, you know, when I see it in stone

Cause you went away
How dare you?
I miss you
They say I’ll be ok
But I’m not going to get over you


87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

8 years later

“Hey Ciara” I said setting a bouquet of flowers at her headstone before I sat down in my normal spot. I would come here when I needed to talk to her, which was quite often since I needed a lot of advice on raising Natalie and Fiona however I haven’t been here for almost a year.

“Long time no talk.” I smile slightly. “It’s been a busy year, what with it being the girl’s senior year and all.” I felt a tear slip down my cheek thinking about how the grew up in a blink of an eye. “Natalie finally decided that she wants, she is going to Pitt for Sport Psychology. She wants to help the athletes like her to decide what’s best for them and help them get through struggles. I know she will be amazing at it, but I can also see how much it pains her not to be able to play anymore. When the doctor found that heart murmur and told her she had to stop playing hockey competitively or she would go into cardiac arrest, I watched as her dreams shattered.

But however disappointed she is that she can’t achieve her dreams, it’s not stopping her from supporting her sister. She is helping Fiona train every day, pushing her to her limits and making sure she doesn’t slack off, so she can get drafted just like their favorite cousin did.

Finally Pittsburgh has won the draft lotto, as there as a good chance that Fiona will be a Penguin. However Mario won’t talk to me at all about who they are drafting. But I do have a good feeling that she will be skating right along my side at this upcoming season, which is a really good thing because she knows all of my weaknesses.

But I am dreading the draft because that means the girls are growing up and moving out. The house is going to be so empty without them.” I felt the tears start flowing. “I know you told me to find someone else, but it’s impossible. I have tried, Natalie and Fiona have made me try but nothing will ever feel as good as it felt when I was with you. I love you C, forever and always I will always be yours.” I sat there just looking at her tombstone for a while until I heard footsteps.

“We thought we’d find you here.” Natalie said as she too placed a bouquet of flowers by the headstone.

“I just needed her, now that you both our leaving me.” I told them honestly.

“Sid, we aren’t leaving you, Nat just going to be down the road, who knows where I will be, but you will still be papa Sid to me.” Fiona said.

“I know.” I said looking down, before they both engulfed me into a hug.

“Let’s go get dinner and watch a movie, we do have an early flight to Buffalo tomorrow.” Natalie said nudging Fiona.

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

“Ladies and gentleman it is my pleasure to welcome you to the 2020 NHL Draft.” Commissioner Gary Bettman opened up the draft. “So let’s get started. The first selection in the 2020 Entry draft belongs to the Pittsburgh Penguins.”

“This is only the second time in NHL history that a female is up for the draft. She is a remarkable hockey player; it shouldn’t come as a surprise because of who her cousin was. Fiona Crosby-Hartmann will most likely be the first draft pick this year.”

“There is no doubt about that Jack, she has the skill of her cousin plus a little more muscle. If her sister continued to play hockey she would be sitting here too, making the Penguins have a difficult decision on which one to choose.”

“Here come Mario Lemieux, Ron Burkle, and Ray Shero now.” The commentators said as the camera focused back to the draft room.

“Thank you Gary.” Shero started. “First the Penguins would like to thank the Buffalo Sabres for hosting the draft this year, and to congratulate them on their Stanley Cup win.” At this the arena exploded in cheers. “Secondly it is a privilege to announce that the Pittsburgh Penguins…

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

“…select from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Fiona Crosby-Hartmann.” My heart just exploded I was so happy that Fiona would still be with me.

“Congrats Fi.” I said pulling her into a tight hug. “I knew you could do it.” I released her so she could hug the rest of the family before making her way down to Mario and company. I knew that Ciara had something to do with Fiona staying in Pittsburgh. Even though Ciara wasn’t here anymore at least I had the girls to get me through the bad days.

When Fi got up to the stage I lip read the conversation on the jumbotron. “You knew we couldn’t pass you up right Fi?” Mario smiled at her as he handed her the jersey.

“I hoped you wouldn’t, I didn’t want to play for any other team.” Fiona said back.

“You will fit in perfectly here, as you already have a great chemistry with the team.”

“Thank you Mario. You don’t know how much this means for me and my sister.” And with that she touched her necklace that was dedicated to her parents and Ciara than pointed to the sky before slipping into the familiar Penguins jersey.

“Welcome to the team.” I whispered before thanking Ciara for everything.

Fin
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys enjoyed :) I have a new story that I am working on, go check it out. What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Thanks for reading and commenting, its been fun.

<3