Changing on the Fly

Dreams become Reality

“It’s that time of year again the Stanley Cup playoffs are back.” The announcer on NHL Tonight opened up the segment. “I am more excited for the playoffs this year than I have been in previous years.”

“I know what you mean John. This year I feel as though the best of the best are playing from great Veterans to Rookies that broke into this league with a bang.” Eric the other announcer said.

“I am going to make a wild guess and say that the rooking you are speaking about is Ciara Hartmann.” John laughed.

“How could I not be talking about her, her and Sidney Crosby have been the heart and soul of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Ever since they were put on the same line they were unbeatable.”

“Now with that said, which team do you think is going to win the Stanley Cup this year?” John asked.

“No doubt about it, my bet is the Pittsburgh Penguins will be the 2009 Stanley Cup Champions.” Eric replied confidently.

“I agree they are a great team, but they are young, I don’t think they will be able to handle the playoffs so my bet is going to be that the Detroit Red Wings will win the Cup this year.” John said.

“Well then I guess we will have to agree to disagree, now let’s take a look back on this eventful season.”

87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*

“Don’t you guys worry the party is here now!” Matt barged in to Max and Ciara’s house.

“Didn’t your dad ever teach me to knock?” Max groaned from the couch where he just lost the latest video game.

“What is this knocking you speak of?” Matt joked.

“Matty!” Ciara yelled coming out of her room changed for dinner. Tonight we were going out to a fancy dinner with the team and their families before playoffs start the day after tomorrow. She was stunning, in the light blue polka dotted dress.

“Long time no see sis,” he said wrapping her up in a huge hug.

“I know, but next year we won’t have to worry about it.” She smiled at Matt.

“Nope, Elaine, Dad and I will be in the same city as you, plus a Timmy Ho’s.” Matt said letting his sister go from the embrace.

“So it’s official?” I asked. “Tim Horton’s is going to make an appearance in Pittsburgh?”

“Yes, by this time next year we all will be drinking Timmy’s.” Ciara smiled at me and I just went over and embraced her into a tight hug never wanting to let go.

“Alright people let’s bounce we have to be at Eleven in 20 minutes.” Max said coming out of the kitchen with Marc and Vero right behind them.

“Shot gun no blitz or ghost.” Ciara said loudly walking out the door.

“Ugh, that means I have to be stuck with Sid in the back seat.” Matt joked. “Luckily my ass is really small, so his extra-large one will be able to fit.”

“Hey, my ass is perfect the way it is.” I defended myself.

“Is that what your mom told you?” Ciara asked. “I hate to break it to you Sidders, but all parents tell their kids that they are perfect, however none of it is true, except in my case.”

“It can’t be true.” I gasped. “B-but she promised me that I was the only special one.” I fake cried.

“Oh, Sidney its ok, I have a shoulder to cry on.” Matt said offering his shoulder as we all headed to Eleven.

87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

“I don’t know about y’all but I am going out clubbing, who is with me?” Max asked after the wonderful dinner was complete. The single guys all agreed except for me and Ciara.

“Just remember we have practice tomorrow.” The captain in me came out.

“Yes, sir.” Max saluted causing Jordan to laugh before they left in cabs to the club, while I took Max’s keys and brought Ciara, Matt, Flower and Vero back to Max’s house so they could pick up their cars.

“Hey Sid, do you think I could stay the night at your place?” Ciara asked me. I was shocked because I have been dreaming about her staying the night at my house. “I mean, I know Max will be out late and a bunch of the guys will be passing out here, so I don’t want to have to deal with them, especially this close to playoffs.” She explained.

Ciara wants to stay at my house maybe now I can finally make my move. No Sid you can’t especially not with playoffs starting. You can’t mess up the chemistry on the ice. Why would Ciara ever like you anyway, you were a dick to her most of the season.

“Sid are you ok?” Ciara asked worriedly after a few minutes of me just staring at her.

“Yeah, I am fine, just zoned out.” I quickly explained. “Of course you can stay, just bring anything you need for tomorrow, we will go to practice right from my house.”

“Thanks Sid.” She said quickly hugging me before running off to her room to get her things.

A few minutes she reemerged changed with a USA bag over her shoulder. “Really out of all your bags, you chose the USA bag?”

“Why of course Sid, I have to represent the best country in the world.” She smirked.

“If that bag is supposed to represent the best country in the world, you should let the company know they spelled Canada wrong.” I chirped while she just stuck her tongue out.

“We will see who the best is next year, during the Olympics.” She smiled at me.

“You want to make a bet?” I questioned her knowing Canada was going to come out on top especially since the Olympics were going to be in Vancouver.

“What should we bet?” Ciara asked taking me up on it straight away.

“Dinner, when Canada wins, you will have to buy/cook me dinner, whatever I want.” I stated.

“So when USA wins you have to buy me dinner.” Ciara said.

“Or cook”

“Yeah you’re going to have to buy me dinner because I won’t trust your cooking.” She said.

“That’s probably for the better.” I smiled at her as we walked up to my house.

“So what do you want to do?” I asked after she dropped her bag off in the guest bedrooms.

“Anything that gets my mind off of the playoffs for a little bit.” She said and I could finally see what I was missing. Ciara was freaking out about the playoffs. Come to think about it she hasn’t been acting the same. I didn’t think anything of it because it was small differences but now I defiantly see it.

“Ciara, I know you want to get your mind off of the playoffs but can I just say something before?” I asked her she nodded. “There is no need to worry, I know that you want to win this so badly and so do I. We all want to win, but so do the other 16 teams. If we don’t win this year we have other years that we can win. We both will lift that trophy, in the Pittsburgh uniform.”

“But Sid, what if I am not here next year?” She said softly looking down.

“Why do you think you won’t be here?” I asked knowing full well, that no matter what happens at the end of this season Mario has full intentions of resigning Ciara.

“I don’t know if Mario will want me next year.” She said honestly.

I picked up her face and had her look at me. “Ciara Hartmann, Mario would be an idiot if he didn’t want you next year. It’s him that is worried you won’t resign with the Penguins. You are going to have so many offers from every other team in the league. So if you aren’t in Pittsburgh colors next year it will be because you chose a different team, not because you won’t be offered a contract here.” She looked at me in the eye and could tell that I was telling the truth.”

“Thanks Sid I really needed that.” She said hugging me, I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her back. We stood there for god knows how long.

“Anytime Ciara, I will always be here for you no matter where you go.” I said with that I pulled away. “How about we play some team video games?” I asked.

“Team video games, you just don’t want to be beat every time do you?” she chirped and once again everything was back to normal.

“Contrary to popular belief, I am not stupid and know when to team up with someone I will never beat.” I smirked.

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

Why do I feel like I only slept five minutes?

“Turn that alarm off.” Sidney said still asleep. Crap, what did I do? I looked down and realized I was still in my clothes and I breathed a sigh of relief as I turned off my alarm. Once it was off Sidney pulled me into him more than I already was since we must of fell asleep on the couch.

“I love you Ciara.” He said as he slept. What? How could this happen? I knew I was starting to get feelings for him but I can’t do anything about them because he is my teammate. But why would he say something like that he surely doesn’t mean that.

I slowly tried to untangle myself from his limbs without waking him up but he just kept pulling me back in. I needed to go for a run before our midmorning practice. “Sid, I need to go for a run.” I tried waking him but instead he just pulled me against him and kissed my head.

“Five more minutes.” He mumbled.

“Sid.” I shook him finally waking him up.

“Oh shit sorry, Ciara.” He said turning red.

“It’s ok, we must have fallen asleep playing video games and ended up like this.” I said.

“What time is it?” he asked.

“It’s 6:30, I need to go for my run but you wouldn’t let me go.” He blushed even more.

“Sorry, I have no control when I sleep.”

“It’s ok, well I am going to go change.” I said getting up off of the couch and stretched sore from sleeping on the couch before heading to the guest room to change.

“Do you mind if I go running with you?” Sid yelled from his room.

“No you are welcome to come.” I yelled back and when I exited the guest room Sid was sitting on the couch in just shorts.

“Let’s go.” I said after a few moments of admiring his body.

“Someone is in a hurry.” Sid joked but walked to the door anyway.

“Someone needs to get her run in.” I smiled back.

*87*87*87*87*87*87

Throughout the playoffs the Ciara has been staying with me because Max likes to party but Ciara has wanted to concentrate on hockey. However we have been sleeping in our own beds and not sharing a couch like we did that one night.

That one night, I swore that I told Ciara I loved her when I was in the state between being awake and being unconscious. I was so embarrassed, especially since I wasn’t sure if I she actually heard me.

But we haven’t had time to dwell on it too much especially since tonight is Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final tonight.

“Ciara are you ready to catch the bus?” I asked knocking her door.

“You can come in” she said from the inside. I opened the door revealing a half dressed Ciara. I couldn’t help but take in her figure, even though she changes in the same locker room everyone always gave her privacy by looking away or actually keeping their eyes above the neck. However now while I am alone with her in just the room it’s hard to keep my eyes above her neck.

Ciara’s already toned legs looked even more toned as she was standing in her yellow pumps. While her black skirt hugged all of her curves the right way, as I continued to go up her body her flat muscled stomach was one of myths. Soon I saw her black laced bra but quickly looked up to her face not wanting to be caught looking there, however when I looked at her face she was staring at my crotch.

“Are you done staring at me now?” Ciara asked me as she put her yellow blouse on.

“Sorry, I am so sorry.” I stuttered out as I turned a deep shade of red.

“It’s ok if you look at me again like that I will just look at your crotch and make it awkward.” Ciara joked but whilst telling the truth.

“It won’t happen again.” I gave her a small smile.

“Good, by the way nice suit.” I looked down and noticed that we matched.

“Thanks.”

Every single guy on the bus was nervous for the game tonight. They knew it was do or die, life or death, a summer full of parties or a summer full of regret. The usual joking around, laughter, and yelling was replaced by silence.

The silence lasted while everyone changed the only sounds of the hustle and bustle of the equipment guys making who were tending to our every need. Coach kept his speech short and sweet because everyone knew what was on the line.

Finally when we got on the ice for the start of the first period we got into a normal ways. Yelling at each other and chirping. I stood ready for the first face off of the game with Ciara on my right and Cookie on my right.

The first period flew by and we kept pressuring Detroit’s defense. We thought we had a goal on the power play but was reviewed as it was put in by a ‘kick’.

Just over a minute into the second period Max scored a goal breaking the zero zero tie. Later in the period I fed a pass to Ciara and scored making the score 2-0. We were feeling good heading into the third period with the two goal lead but we all knew the game was far from over.

With the Wings scoring in the third period to bring the game with in one goal, we stepped up are game a little bit more to keep them from tying it up before the clock ticked down. However that didn’t stop the Wings from taking as many shots as possible but with the time under 15 seconds left the Wings had enough time for one more good shot from the point but Ciara read the situation and took the puck right to her gut stopping what could have been a game tying goal.

The buzzard sounded and it was like I was in a different reality, everything I have always dreamed of came true well almost everything.

*87*87*87*87*87*87*87*87

15 seconds left in the game, I knew this could actually be it I knew the Wings would take more shot from the point as their last hope. I quickly went over and blocked the shot with my gut. However much pain I was in, it didn’t matter because only a few seconds later the final buzzard sounded.

We had won the Stanley Cup, I couldn’t believe it! I have always wanted this. In one short year almost all of my dreams have come true. I was drafted into the NHL, I proved my Mom wrong, I made my Dad, brother and sister proud of me, and my team had just won the Stanley fricken Cup.

“Ciara!” Max yelled skating over to me along with the rest of the team tackling me to the ground. After a few minutes of celebrating we shook the hands of the Red Wings before they left the ice.

“I would like to present the Pittsburgh Penguins with the Stanley Cup.” Commissioner Gary Bettman announced before passing the cherished cup over to Sidney. Who kissed the cup before lifting it over his head, which caused the Red Wings fans to boo, but the Penguins fans in the crowd to cheer loudly. He passed the cup to me and I did the same thing before handing the cup over to Malkin.

While he was celebrating with the cup I went around and hugged all my teammates. When I finally got to Sidney, he embraced me with the biggest hug I got all night.

“You did it Sid.” I said as he continued to hug.

“No Ciara we did it. We wouldn’t have won if it wasn’t for you.” Sid said pulling me closer before pulling away from me. “C” was all he said before kissing me.

I kissed him back before pulling away “Sid I can’t” I said before skating away towards my family leaving behind a very shocked Sidney.

“You did it!” Matt said running over to me with ease on the slippery surface. While Elaine took the slower approach wearing heals on the ice and my Dad followed her to make sure she didn’t slip.

“We are so proud of you.” My Dad said when he finally got to me. “Grandpa would be so proud of you.” He smiled and took me into a hug.

“However I want to know, why you skated away from Sidney after that kiss.” My sister said in her hug.

“I freaked out.” I admitted.

“Well, by the way he is looking at you right now you really hurt him and I can tell you really like him so go over there and apologize.” I gave her a look. “Don’t worry we will be here when you get back.” She said giving me a little push towards Sidney.

*87*87*87*87*87*87

“You did it Sid.” Ciara said as I hugged her.

“No Ciara we did it. We wouldn’t have won if it wasn’t for you.” I told her honestly pulling her closer to me. This is my shot Sid to make all my dreams come true. “C” I said before I kissed her.

She kissed me back causing me to feel like I could fly until she pulled away. “Sid I can’t” she skated away leaving me lost and hurt. My family came over and congratulated me but I couldn’t be completely happy as I was just rejected by the only girl I have ever had feelings for. I just kept looking at her as she interacted with her family but before I knew it she was skating back over to me.

“I am sorry Sid.” She said.

“Look if you don’t like me like that I understand, let’s just not drag this out because I can’t do this.” I said surprising myself before I turned to skate away. However I didn’t get far because Ciara grabbed my wrist and pulled me back and kissed me.

“I am sorry I skated away before,” she said when she pulled back. “I was just afraid because all of my dreams have come true this year but one. I was afraid that if my last dream came true I would have nothing left to achieve.” She told me.

“What is that last dream?” I asked.

“Finding someone I could spend the rest of my life with.” She said looking down embarrassed.

“Funny that’s the only dream I have yet to achieve, but I think I am on the right track for that one too.” I smiled down at her and kissed her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that I have been MIA, I had finals and then when I was done I had writers block. But don't worry I am back :) hope you enjoyed and comment :)