Sequel: Take Me With You
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

Getting Away With You

The Accepting Arms of Death

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Danielle’s POV*^
I stayed curled up on the couch for hours, not really feeling like moving. I was too caught up in my thoughts about my parents, about what was happening back home with them, and wondering what they were planning on doing. Matt got the big quilt I had come accustomed to calling mine and brought it over after a while. He laid down and I curled up in his arms as he covered us up in the quilt and then twisted us around so that I was on top of him, my head resting against his shoulder. With my back against his chest I stared up at the ceiling, still wondering about my parents. The crackling of the fire was nearly putting me to sleep, but I fought it well, staying awake.

“Are you feeling alright?” Matt whispered, taking my hands in his, and I nodded.

“I’m fine, just thinking.” I whispered back. “I feel like my parents are going to try and track me down or something and tear us apart.” I said and he brought our hands up, intertwining our fingers together.

“I wouldn’t exactly put it past them, but we’ll be okay, Danni.” He said reassuringly as he made a fist, my hands securely enclosed in his. “I won’t let anyone take you away from me, I told you that. I love you too much to let you go.” He said, letting our hands rest on my stomach and I took a deep breath, nodding.

“I know you won’t, Matt. And I love you too much to even let them try.”

“I swear that as long as I’m alive, I’ll never leave you.” His words brought a smile to my face. Knowing that he cared deeply about me was just enough to keep me here with him, and keep me from danger and death.

“I hope you don’t. I really don’t know how I’d live without you.” It was the truth; I really didn’t know how I’d survive without him.

“I never want to live without you.” He kissed my cheek, and at the moment I could keep the smile off of my face.

“Me either.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Matt and I must’ve fallen asleep sometime later, because I woke up still lying on top of him, and I rolled over onto my stomach to see that he was already awake.

“Good morning.” I mumbled as I rubbed my eyes.

“Morning to you too.” He said, and then I realized what had woken me up; someone repeatedly hitting something in the kitchen.

“What the fuck’s going on in there?” I asked and Matt chuckled lightly.

“Jimmy got up about two hours ago and finally decided that we should do something about the broken out window in the kitchen so he went to Home Depot and bought a new glass pane and he’s in there now putting it in.” Matt said, and I nodded as I placed my head on his chest. He rubbed my back in a gentle manner that, when combined with his heartbeat in my ear, began putting me back to sleep.

“Hey, love birds, I’m still working on the window and Brian just texted me and said he’s lonely.” I was woken up from whatever light sleep I had drifted into by Jimmy’s voice as it came from the kitchen. “Go visit with Mr. Lonely.”

“Leave us alone.” I mumbled into Matt’s chest, turning my head away from Jimmy as he walked over.

“No, you two can cuddle some other time.”

“But it’s so peaceful right now.” Matt whined.

“Oh I’m sure me beating on that window pane with a hammer is as peaceful as lying on the beach under the stars.” Jimmy said sarcastically.

“I guess he has a point.” Matt sighed, and I lifted my head.

“Fight for me? Please? I’m tired.” I said, and he looked back up at Jimmy as I laid my head back down.

“Goddamn you two are lazy.” I heard Jimmy say, and then his footsteps retreated back into the kitchen.

“We should probably go-” I was cut off by my ringtone, and my phone vibrating against the glass coffee table. I looked over at my phone and reach over to it. The number was unknown. I hesitantly answered it. “Hello?”

“Danielle, don’t worry, we know where you are, just hang in there, we’re coming to get you.” I heard my mom’s voice, and I quickly scrambled off of Matt, leaving him confused as he sat up.

“What? How do you-”

“We traced you’re number, honey, don’t worry, we’re coming to get you right now.” There was talking in the background. “Oh- okay, Danni, I’ve got to go, but we’re on our way.”

“Wait! No! Don’t-” I stopped talking and just hung up my phone and put it in my pocket as I turned towards Matt.

“What is it? Is everything okay?” Matt asked as he stood up.

“My parents are coming. They traced the last call and they’re on their way right now.” I said frantically and his face went from confusion to panic.

“We need to get out of here, now. We can go up to the hospital and stay up there with Brian while we figure out somewhere to go.” He said, already slipping his shoes on and I nodded, quickly getting on my Converse.

“What’s going on?” Jimmy asked as he walked back into the living room and over to us. “Is everything okay?” He asked, getting serious.

“Danielle’s parents are in Florida and coming to get her. We have to get to the hospital now, and hide out there with Brian until we figure out a better plan.” Matt explained quickly.

“Okay, let’s-” Jimmy was cut off by footsteps and we all there looked over to where Freak was standing, holding a gun.

“Matt, Jimmy, get out, now. I have to do this.” Freak said, his voice strained and thick. “I got a call from Chase, and I have to do this right now.”

“Freak, no you don’t.” Jimmy said, and when he began taking a step towards him Freak brought the gun up and cocked it, pointing it directly at Jimmy’s head.

“Yes, I do.” He growled. “Get out.” Freak said, but Jimmy wouldn’t move. “Go!” He yelled.

“No.” Jimmy muttered, and I felt Matt grab my hand, and squeeze it, but I had my eyes trained on Freak’s gun.

“You can’t shoot us, Freak.” Matt said and Freak just looked over at him.

“Really?” He asked, and then pointed his gun to the side and pulled the trigger, and the sound of glass shattering met our ears. There went the window. “I’ll shoot you. I’m not afraid to.” Freak said, and brought the gun to Matt. “Let go of her or I’ll shoot you too.” He said, and I nudged Matt.

“Go. Just go.” I ushered him, and he shook his head, hurt in his eyes.

“No. I won’t let him hurt you. I can’t.” Matt whispered and I shook my head. My parents were already on their way, my life was over as it is. When my parents come and rip us apart it will be more painful than this. I was sure of it. I pried my hand from his, and his eyes got even more hurt than before.

“My life is already over. I’d rather him end it than my parents.” I whispered and held back the tears tugging at my eyes. “You gotta let go of me sometime, Matt.” I whispered and he seemed to struggle with his words.

“But you’re…you’re all I have left… I-I love you. I don’t want to let you go.” He said, and I shook my head.

“This is it, Matt. This is something that’s been trying to take place; it’s just been repeatedly put off.” I whispered, and he let his hand come up and caress my cheek.

“I love you.” He whispered and I nodded and leaned forward, connecting our lips as I savored this last moment. We pulled away, and I hugged him as tight as possible.

“I love you too.” I whispered back, meaning it this time more than I ever had before.

“I promise I’ll see you soon.” He whispered, but before I could question it he pulled away from me, and motioned for Jimmy to leave. He opened the door, and Jimmy looked at me like he was about to try and whisk me away so I didn’t get hit before he walked out. Matt hesitated and looked back at me one more time, biting his lip as he looked at me with pained eyes that made me think this was going to be hell for him. He finally walked out, and I let a breath out as I looked back at Freak.

“Go ahead. We’re alone, and you’re heartless.” I said and he got an expression on his face that told me he was struggling with this thought.

“I’m so sorry, but I have to do this, Danielle. Chase has my little sister, and I can’t let him kill her.” He whispered and I nodded, then somewhat understanding as to why he was doing this.

“Just…you’re going to rip Matt apart, Freak.” I said as I took a step backwards as he took one forward. “You can fool Chase, he isn’t as smart as you think.” I said and he shook his head as I found myself up against the door and he advanced on me, just a foot away now. I didn’t want to leave Matt. I really didn’t, but I told him to leave because I didn’t want him to get hurt.

“I have to.” He said, and brought the gun up once more to my head. I took slow deep breaths, bracing for the pain. He pulled the trigger.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Matt’s POV*^
“She’s gone.” Jimmy whispered as he leaned back against the house. I just walked over next to him, numb. I couldn’t feel. It was like life had just vanished from me. Danni told me to leave, and I did. I left her in that hell of a house, defenseless against Freak. What the fuck did that make me for doing that to her? But she told me to leave. I loved her, and I did whatever she told me to, even if it was leaving her in her grave with a psychotic murderer. I didn’t want to leave her, but my mind made me. I made myself because it was what she wanted. She wanted Jimmy and I to walk out, and we did.

“I can’t live anymore.” I muttered. “This is too hard; I can’t do it without her.” I whispered, looking over at Jimmy. “I’ll kill myself.”

“No...no, you’re not killing yourself. You’re not going to leave Brian and I here alone.” Jimmy said, standing up straight, shaking his head. “You can’t do that to us, Matt.”

“Then what the fuck am I supposed to do? How do I go on without her? She’s my life, Jimmy. She’s my fucking life!” I said, biting my lip to keep the tears from falling. “She’s being taken away from me by one of my fucking friends, and I’m allowing it!” I cried. “I’m standing here, allowing him to stay in there with my life, and fucking kill her! I love her more than anything and he’s going to take her away from me! So what else do I do?! It’s my only fucking option!” Death wasn’t just my only option; it was my only escape. I wouldn’t live on without her. I couldn’t. I wouldn’t make it.

“It was going to happen, Matt. We can’t control it.” Jimmy said, sadness in his voice.

“I won’t live without her.” I said, and looked up at him. I was serious. I would put a bullet in my head just as soon as I heard the gunshot. “I’ll take my own life. I swear I will.”

“You don’t have to do that-” Jimmy was cut off by a gunshot, and I couldn’t stop the tears then. It was all over. I lost it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

Synderella28
amodernmyth88
shortygirl
W!ldFire

There's only FIVE chapters left.

xoxo, Saleigh