Sequel: Take Me With You
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

Getting Away With You

Inseparableness

“Don’t say anything, don’t scream, don’t try and get help or I swear to god-” Matt began as he pulled the Escalade off the road into an abandoned parking lot. The building that once occupied half of it burnt to the ground long ago.

“I know, I know, you’ll slit my throat, no need to say it again.” I muttered, and he nodded. He took off his sunglasses as the officer approached the window. He knocked twice and Matt rolled the window down. God knows I wanted to scream to the officer for help, tell him what Matt had done, and maybe get out of this mess I had found myself in. But there was something embracing my mind, and possibly even my heart that kept me from doing so.

“Can I help you officer?” Matt asked, his voice taking on a much nicer tone than just a few seconds ago. It was pitch black where we had pulled over, and the officer didn’t have a flashlight, so I could only hope that he didn’t notice our blood splattered clothes. It being Halloween was a big help with that fact.

“Do you realize how fast you were driving?” The officer asked.

“Uh, no sir, I’m sorry to say I don’t.” Matt answered.

“Fifteen miles over the speed limit. Why were you in such a hurry?” He asked, and Matt hesitated, not knowing what to say. “Well?” The officer pushed.

“M-my little brother is at a friend’s house.” I began as the officer looked over at me, along with Matt. “He just called us, asking to come pick him up. We were just trying to get over there because he sounded upset.” I said, and the officer nodded. Matt gave me one of those looks that was shocked beyond what I could imagine, relieved that I had saved him, confused to why I had took action in the situation, possibly even angry that I had opened my mouth, but also something else I couldn’t quite describe. He looked back at the officer, and so did I, hopeful that he would just let us go so we could get this over with, and Matt could hurry up and get my murder out of the way as I expected him to.

“I see.” The officer nodded, and thought for a second. “Since its Halloween, I guess I can let you two slide, but keep it at the right speed, got it?” The officer looked at Matt, and he nodded.

“Will do.” Matt said with a small smile.

“You two be careful, there are all kinds of creeps lurking around on nights like this. Dangerous people.” He had no fucking clue who he was talking to. “Don’t stay out too late. You two have a good one.” He said, and stood up straight before walking away. Matt leaned forward against the steering wheel after the officer drove off, his breathing heavy.

“You’re the greatest person that could’ve walked into that house tonight.” He breathed, and sat up straight, looking over at me. “Thanks.” He said and I nodded.

“Can we just go get rid of the body?” I asked, really wanting him to let me go, and he nodded. We pulled off of the curb and continued, turning down a dirt road. “Where are we going?”

“This big hill, called the Drop Off. You drop something down the hill, and no one knows where it goes. He’ll just disappear.” Matt said and I nodded. This is like a hellish episode of Masters of Horror.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
We drove in silence, the officer seeming to have killed whatever little conversation we had started. Once we reached the Drop Off, Matt got out, and instructed me to do the same. I stepped out, immediately regretting not grabbing my jacket on the way out of my house earlier this evening. I shivered slightly as I walked around the car and to the trunk. Matt opened it, revealing Riley lying in the back. I felt my breath hitch in my throat, but I didn’t let those damn tears make a second appearance tonight. I wasn’t about to begin showing my weak side again. I helped Matt get him out of the trunk, and we stood at the top of the hill.

“On the count of three.” Matt said, and I nodded. “One…two…three.” We both let go on the final swing and count of three, and watched as Riley rolled and tumbled down the hill, and into the trees towards the bottom, disappearing out of sight. We stared at where he had disappeared for a moment, I was half expecting Matt to push me, maybe even muttering a quiet ‘Sorry’ as he did so. But when I did not feel his hands pushing on my back, I turned towards him, and he was still staring down the hill, a thoughtful look occupying his face.

“What now?” I asked, wondering what was going thought his head. “What are you going to do with me?” I asked, my voice slightly curious, but also lightly tinged with fear.

“I could let you go, with threats to keep an eye on you and kill you if you ever speak a single word of this night…” He trailed off, and then looked at me. “Or I could throw you down the hill too.” He said and I sighed.

“Is there a third option, or were those just rhetorical to get my hopes up that you’ll let me go but you’re going to throw me down the hill anyways?” I asked, hoping there was maybe a third option. Though I’d be fine with option one.

“Option three is one that I personally like.”

“What is it?”

“I can invest some trust in you, since you seem like a pretty decent girl, and just rely on your word that you won’t tell. Because I’m tired of threatening you.” He said, his eyes meeting mine with a sliver of a smile on his lips.

“I like that option.” I said and he nodded.

“Me too.” He whispered.

“I…I won’t tell anybody. I should, but I won’t.” I said, giving him a small smile.

“Alright.” He said and I began walking off, but he stopped me. “Where are you going?” He asked, grabbing my arm.

“Home. You said I could go.” I said and he shook his head.

“Yes I did, but I’m not going to let you walk home by yourself. You could run into some kind of murderer or-” He stopped as he realized what he was saying.

“If you don’t remember, I have run into a murderer, matter of fact, I’ve cooperated with that murderer in desperate hopes that he will let me go unharmed.” I said, and he nodded.

“Right, but still, get in the car, I’ll drive you back.” He said and I thought about it for a moment before giving in. He seemed like an okay guy, besides the whole situation we were in, so I got back in his Escalade, and he got in the driver’s side, and then remembered something. He searched around under his seat for a second before finding the knife, and grabbing the towel. He got out, and I watched as he walked around, then tossed them down the hill, and came back and got back in. He shut his door and drove off back down the road.

“So what happens to you now?” I asked Matt and he shrugged.

“I don’t know. I guess I’ll go back home and try to get to sleep.” I was shocked by his words.

“You just killed a guy, and threatened to kill me, and now you’re telling me you’re just going to go home and sleep it off?” I asked and he nodded.

“It’s not like anyone’s going to find out who did it, I have nothing to worry about. Except for the blood soaked trunk, but I’m going to meet up with Jimmy and Brian tomorrow and we’re going to burn this old piece of junk to ashes, so, yea, I’m going to go home and get some much needed rest.” He said simply.

“You’re not going to flee the country or anything?” I asked, and he shook his head.

“No, Brian and Jimmy mentioned something about us maybe migrating to Florida for a while, just to get out of this god forsaken place for a while, so we may head off that way tomorrow.” He said and I nodded, but I wasn’t sure about this strange feeling that was bubbling up inside of me. It was…it was a twinge of disappointment that he would be gone tomorrow, and there was a huge chance I would never see him again. I wasn’t sure how to react to this feeling, it didn’t feel right. He just killed one of my friends and now I’m sad that he’s leaving the state tomorrow? Oh my god, I know what it is, that last little thread of sanity was just cut lose.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
After his last sentence we both fell silent, I was thinking about what in the hell was wrong with me, and he was pre-occupied by the road. I felt a wave of something indescribable wash over me as we finally pulled up at my house.

“Sorry for the shit I’ve put you through.” Matt said as I opened my door slowly, trying to be as slow as possible at getting away from him.

“Well, I think I can safely say this is one Halloween I’ll never forget.” I said with a sigh.

“Me too.” I got on out of the car, but before I shut the door I let my eyes linger on him for a moment. “Bye.” He said, forcing a smile.

“Bye.” I said, and then after a beat shut the door. I looked up at my house, already hearing my parents inside, in another one of their fights. I took a deep breath and walked up the small walk and up the stairs. As I reached the door I looked back to see Matt still sitting there, the car idling as he stared forward in thought. I turned back to the door, my mother and father’s voices loud on the inside of the house. I opened the front door, and heard my parents in the kitchen. I walked through the living room and to the room they were in, not quite going in, just standing in the doorway.

“It’s not my fault we left her here all alone! It was your idea Gavin!” My mother screamed, not noticing me peeking around the corner into the kitchen. I hated when they got like this. Their relationship was on the rocks, and the subjects of their fights usually included me in some way. I hated their fights; they were literally tearing me apart. It was stressful, and something no other teenager should go through, their parents fighting and screaming and yelling. It was horrible, and I was at wits end with it all.

“I am so sorry that you drug me off to that goddamn party, Lisa!” My father yelled back. Fuck this. I ran from the kitchen, and up the stairs. I went to my closet and grabbed my backpack, dumping out all of the school stuff and cramming a bunch of clothes into the pack before going over and grabbing my iPod and charging cables for it, and my laptop. I shoved my laptop into the bag, threw it over my shoulder, and then ran back down the stairs. I grabbed my coat from beside the door, and then my parents noticed me. They both ran towards me as I rushed past them to the door.

“Oh god, Danielle! You’re okay!” My mom hugged me, then pulled away, her hands on my shoulders, and fear and concern in her eyes. “You’re covered in blood!” She squealed. “Danielle, what happened?!”

“Danielle, are you okay?! Where have you been?!” My dad then began with the questions.

“Just shut up!” I screamed, making my mother flinch back. “I can’t take you two anymore! This fighting and screaming and yelling is driving me to my fucking grave!” I screamed at them, and my mother stepped back. “I’m leaving with a guy I met tonight, I barely fucking know him, but running away with him is much better than staying here and rotting in this hell I have to call a home. I don’t know where I’ll be tomorrow, but I know I won’t have to put up with you guys’ shit. Don’t try to come and find me.” I said and opened the door, but then turned back to them. “Maybe if you two can work out your fucking issues, I’ll come back.” I said, and slammed the door. Matt was just now pulling away. “Matt!” I yelled, running after him. He stopped, the tires screeching at the sudden halt, and I ran over, opening the door and getting in the passenger’s side.

“Is everything okay?” He asked and I shook my head as I slammed my door closed.

“My parents are going down, and slowly taking me with them. I can’t take it anymore.” I looked over at him. “Take me with you. Give me an escape from this hell I call a life.” I begged.

“You really want to do this? I mean, leave all of your friends behind and possibly never come back?” He asked, and I nodded.

“My friends are complete assholes, and this town is a dead end. Now that I really think of it, Riley was a dick too.” I said and he smiled.

“I was hoping you’d say that.” He said and I put my backpack in the backseat as he continued down the road.

“Why did you stay in front of my house for so long? I half expected you to be gone by the time I came out.” I looked over at him and he shrugged.

“I was kind of thinking about going in there and getting you.” He said and I looked at him curiously.

“Why?”

“I was actually kind of worried, and it wasn’t that I didn’t trust that you’d keep this all to yourself, but it was that there’s something about you that I really like, that…that I didn’t want to let go. I was worried I may never see you again.” He looked over at me, and I smiled.

“There’s something about you that I really like too.” I said and he turned back to the road, taking in a deep breath.

“So, we’re heading to Florida tomorrow, you okay with that?” He asked and I nodded.

“I’m more than okay with that.” I said more than thrilled with the fact that I’d finally get out of this damn town that was leading me nowhere but an early grave.

“You okay going with two of the craziest fuckers you’ll ever meet?” I could only guess he was talking about those two guys Jimmy and Brian.

“Considering all I’ve been through tonight I feel like I can run through a brick wall, so bring it on. They can’t be any worse than you.” I said with a smirk, earning a light laugh from him.

“I can already see the beginning of a beautiful friendship here.” He said, resting a hand on my arm.

“Me too.” I smiled, and he let his hand slide down to hold mine and my smile grew as I interwound my fingers with his. This, this little gesture of simple kindness was just the beginning of our inseparableness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

shortygirl
worsnop;
amodernmyth88
MoMo_92
RavenNightmare1
W!ldFire
Angel of Vengeance

You guys are simply amazing for sticking with me through story after story. Your love and support mean so much to me. <3

xoxo, Saleigh