Attractions

Chapter Four

I sat on the player bench, painting my toe nails a bright blue. It was always best to paint my nails a new color every time I had a meeting with my boss Sylvia. She was, if possible, more eccentric than myself. She liked individuality and style which was good.

“I feel like whenever you’re here, you’re painting your nails,” Nat commented sitting on top of the door that led into the player bench, next to Leddy and Seabrook.

“Yeah, I noticed that too,” Seabs said. “I like that color,” he said. “It’s very bright.”

I smiled. “That’s what I’m aiming for.”

“So long as you don’t dye your hair that color,” Leddy joked before they both hopped off the bench and skated over to Coach who called everyone to take a knee.

~~~~~

“Hey you’re not late!” Jonah looked quite pleased with me.

Belle poked her head around the corner and stepped into my office, looking stunning in a dark wash set of jeans and a fitting black long sleeved shirt with a multi colored scarf. “Sylvia just called us in. Let’s do this,” she smiled, walking in her insanely high heels into her office first.

“She always has to be center of attention, doesn’t she?” Jonah muttered, following close behind.

“She is the model Jonah. She is why we get paid,” I nudged him. “Look snazzy. We have to ace this meeting.”

“Why?” he asked.

“Because I want to go to Paris.”

“Oh!” he looked excited. “I love Belle!”

“That’s more like it,” I winked and we all gathered around the long meeting table, waiting for Sylvia to enter.

She did and sat down at the head of the long table, hands folded, blue eyes piercing and unforgiving.

“I saw your last project down in New York Starlyn,” she always used my first name. It was like hearing fingernails against a chalkboard, at least when it was said by her.

“Yes,” I nodded once.

“I see you incorporated that camera boy of your’s into a few of your pieces of art,” her eyes glanced over at Jonah for only a brief second. He didn’t even bother to make eye contact.

“Did you not enjoy it?” I asked, careful to keep my tone even and confident.

She tore her eyes from Belle, who was equally fierce and unfazed by Sylvia’s stare of death. “I did not say that. I just merely found it interesting is all.”

I waited for her to go on.

“It was actually a big hit,” she cleared her throat, settling back in her chair, looking over some files. “They’re eagerly waiting on the next show of your’s. and I see you have requested Paris for your next shoot.”

“I have,” I confirmed it. “For the summer. I want the next show to be the biggest one yet and I think Paris has the mood I’m looking for.”

“Your show will be October eighth. You will leave for Paris July twelfth and will return September first.”

I tried not to let my grin show on my face. “Thank you. Where will the show be?” I asked, already planning on a New York setting.

“Here,” she said airily. “In Chicago. In fact, we even have a few sponsors.”

“Oh?” I tried to sound convincing, but my brain was already in panic mode. There was a chance Patrick would see what I do.

“The Chicago Blackhawks will be appearing. Is that a problem dear?” she asked, her demon eyes fixated on my probably shell shocked face.

“No ma’am,” I cleared my throat. “Thank you.”

I got out to my car okay, but then I found myself kicking the tire and swinging my purse at the door. “NO! NO! DAMMIT NO YOU EVIL BITCH!”

“Let her go,” Jonah said, probably to Belle. Jonah had known me longer and understood why this was a big deal.

After a few more seconds of anger, I finally regained composure. “I hate that evil bitch. We can’t have Patrick come. Or any of them,” I declared.

“Good luck with that Nat. Why don’t you just tell him, so that it isn’t a surprise when the date finally rolls around?” Jonah tried to reason with me.

“It’s only March,” I said, running my fingers through my hair. “I’m going to talk to Natalie and see if she can convince them to back out. God, I hate that bitch,” I muttered. “I’ll call you guys in one week with plans,” I said and slammed the door and peeled off.

My entire life cover was going to get blown and for once in my life, I was out of control of the outcomes.