Sequel: Remembering Sunday

I Still Hear the Rain

Keep My Conscience Clean When I Wake

Alex-

She wasn’t popular. She wasn’t a lot of things. But she was something. She was cute don’t get me wrong. If I were to date her it would ruin my reputation. Plus, I’m dating Lisa Ruocco. Well not right now. We’ve been on and off for a while now lately. We sat in Rian’s basement during band practice.

“Dude, what’s going on with you and that chick?” Jack asked as he chewed a mouth full of Doritos. “You’re always with her.”

“Who? Brittany?” He looked up from his drum kit. Jack nodded. “She’s nice. I asked her to tutor me. No one ever talks to her. She needs a friend.”

“So she’s just a charity case?” I took off my guitar and put it in the case.

“No, I’m just saying that I’m being nice to her. Which is something you two should start doing.”

“Whatever. It’s party time. Time to humiliate her.” I smirked.

“Did you set the sprinklers?” Jack asked as her walked up the stairs.

“Yup. Now all we need is the flour.”

My house was soon filled with the entire senior class of Delaney High School. As the party raged on we awaited her arrival. Around seven o’clock, Rian came in furious. A soaked Brittany sat outside on the stoop covered in flour. Her sobs rang through my ears.

“Alex, is this your idea of funny?! What the fuck is wrong with you?” Just then my parents came up to the house.

“Oh sweetie, what happened to you?” My mother sat next to her. The two looked at me. “Alexander!”

“I’m taking her home Mrs. G.” Rian sighed before wrapping his sweatshirt around her shoulders. Rian and Brittany watched me as they walked to his car.

“Alexander, what did you do to that poor girl? And the party is over!” She yelled growing angrier. She wasn’t happy. And when momma isn’t happy no one’s happy.

“It was just a prank. Jack was in on it too.” I defended poorly.

“Jack, I will be calling your mother.”

“Mom, we’re sorry. You don’t need to lecture us.”

“Sorry?! You humiliated the girl! Do you even know what you just did?” She raised her voice more. “Alex, I work with her neighbor, she comes from a bad family. She has a lot of family issues. But no, you don’t think. I want the two of you to apologize to her. I mean it. You are grounded Alex.”

Jack and I sat up in my room as we waited for his parents to come and pick him up. I did feel bad about the whole thing. Should I go apologize? No, I can’t. I’ll have Jack do it. The look on her face and her sobs plagued my mind. I sighed deeply and rolled over on my stomach and hung slightly over my bed.

“Jack, your parents are here.” My father stated calmly. He stood up without a word and walked out. What did my mother mean by “she comes from a bad family”? Were they alcoholics? Drug addicts? Abusive? I wanted to know so desperately what caused the beautiful person such pain. My phone beeped. It was Lisa. alex, we need to talk. I groaned before typing a reply. about? How you cheated? A few days ago, I caught her in bed with Max Nelson. The quarterback. It stung to see someone I love do that. Maybe this was how Brittany felt every day. Well, not the cheating part, just in pain every day. That for some reason you feel horrible feeling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to jennabobenna and livinthedriversseat for the comments! i know its a comment for a chapter, but here's one chapter and the other one will be posted later on today once i write it and get some sleep because its like 5 am. so the next chapter will be up soon though!
xxxxBrittany