Status: Prequel to 'An Ode For Cruelty' <3

The Last Rites for Souls on Fire

Tredecum

Faelwen gradually became less tense from the swaying of the boat. The bank of the river, instead drawing her attention. Little conversation circulated between the boats as they continued their way downstream, save for the occasional hushed sentence.
"Legolas, Aragorn said that Orcs patrol the Eastern bank, right?" Faelwen said warily.
"Yes. I feel it too, a threat invisible to Aragorn's eyes," He glanced at the western bank.
He tried his best to keep the boat moving smoothly, knowing that waves made Faelwen uncomfortable. Gimli glanced between the Elves, his haggard face twisted in confusion.
"You two ought not speak in riddles," He scolded, "Now what are you talking about?"
Faelwen looked at him, "There are Orcs drawing near on the western shore. The east-"
Gimli cut her off, looking forward dismissively, "Rubbish. Dur Guldur is on the eastern bank. So are the Orcs."
Faelwen looked back at Legolas, an eyebrow raised and muttered sarcastically, "The fabled hospitality of the Dwarves showing through."

As dusk began to fall, Aragorn directed them to land their boats on the Western shore. Legolas followed his instruction, a cautious and worried frown marring his features. Faelwen jumped from the boat as soon as it reached the shore, her eyes following a shifty Frodo, and a shiftier Boromir. Frodo crept away from the group as they collapsed around the river bank, under a stone ruin left from the last war. Faelwen watched Boromir follow after him. She could hear Legolas warning Aragorn, and knew that it was already too late to change their circumstances. She picked up her weapons and crept away in complete silence. As soon as she was out of sight of the camp, Faelwen leaped up into the nearest tree, twisting herself around to stand on the lowest branch before climbing higher. Once she reached a point where the branches could only just hold her weight, she began to jump through the trees, eyes closed, taking in all the scents and sounds around her in order to find Frodo and Boromir.She found Boromir first, quickly noticing that he was following Frodo from a distance, gathering firewood. She whispered into the air, the same she had at Caradhas.

A strange Elvish muttering reached Boromir's ears, and even though he didn't speak the language, he somehow understood, "Do not give in to darkness."
He looked around, his eyes wide and wary, "Do not fall to the power of the One."
His nostrils flared, his brow furrowed, his tongue turned sharp, "I will take what is mine."
Hs face returned to the wary look he had before as he continued to pick up firewood; as he drew closer to Frodo. Faelwen frowned, he was too far gone to be saved by words. She reached for her bow as he spoke with Frodo. In a fraction of a second, Boromir yelled and knocked Frodo to the ground. She notched an arrow, aiming squarely for the centre of Boromir's head. She didn't have to fire it. Frodo disappeared and Boromir was thrown back. Boromir couldn't tell which way the Hobbit had gone but Faelwen could see the leaves on the forest floor flatten and then scatter from under his invisible feet.
Boromir kneeled on the forest floor screaming, "A CURSE ON YOU! AND ALL THE HALFLINGS!"
Faelwen frowned at him as he tried desperately to scramble to his feet with all the grace of a man who had lost his mind. She fired a warning shot, clipping his cloak
and causing him to knock his head on the ground.
When he raised his head, he spoke quietly and weakly, "Frodo? Frodo! I'm sorry."
Faelwen raised her bow, aiming another arrow at him, knowing that he couldn't travel alongside them any longer. She couldn't bring herself to fire the last shot. Instead she slung her bow back over her shoulder and sat on the branch, mourning the lost companion that writhed on the ground below her.

The sound of stamping feet and trampling boots filled the forest within minutes, the threat that both the Elves had attempted warn their companions of had arrived. Boromir seemed, finally, to be pulling himself together, if only slightly. She could hear Merry and Pippin yelling, making bait of themselves. She heard their daggers slide from the sheath and as she stood to run to their aid, the Gondorian started running in the direction of the Hobbits. She smiled, rushing through the tree tops, readying her bow. As she arrived she looked down to the enemy. They weren't normal Orc's. Their muscles were larger, their teeth jagged, their noses rounder and skin less in tact. To top it all off, each and every one bore the white hand of Saruman. As she looked down in disgust, Faelwen knew that these had been created because of her. An 'improved' Orc; crossed with a goblin, and raised with her dark magic; an Uruk'hai. She fired arrow after arrow, aiming only for their skulls. Boromir stood below her, in front of the two Hobbits, hacking away at anything that dared get close. Faelwen kept firing into the onlslaught, suddenly hearing a loud 'twang' followed by a dull thud and a groan of pain. She looked over to Boromir and the Hobbits, wide-eyed and livid. A long arrow was buried in the left side of the Man's chest.

Another 'twang' another arrow plunged into Boromir. He stood again, slashing at the oncoming Uruk'hai. Faelwen desperately sought out the source of the arrows. As she laid eyes on the crossbow baring Uruk, it loosed another arrow, again burying it deep into Boromir's body. He fell onto his knees. Faelwen could only watch, knowing the Man wouldn't live, as he stood again, swinging his sword weakly at the charging Uruk'hai. Faelwen readied her bow, firing arrow after arrow into a crowd that seemed to only get larger with every foe she killed. Boromir's body finally gave in; Faelwen doubled her efforts, trying desperately to keep the Uruks away from the Hobbits.

As the Gondorian collapsed, Merry and Pippin drew their daggers, charging forward. Faelwen slung her bow over her shoulder and drew her short swords, jumping down and attacking everything around her. She tried as hard as she could to get to Merry and Pippin. As she focused on her tiny friends, an Uruk drew up beside her, throwing it's arm around in front of her. She barely blocked it's sword, and was thrown backward, her body colliding heavily against the tree she had previously been standing in. She pulled herself up, only to watch the two Hobbits get carried from her, their arms outstretched, faces twisted in horror. The Uruk'hai ran then, fleeing the battle that they had been winning. Faelwen's arms sat limply beside her body, slumping heavily against the tree behind her as she tried to breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've gone through all the other chapters and corrected a bunch of grammatical errors ^-^ I added an extra sentence here and there. to smooth things out but nothing REALLY important.

Massive thank you to yuna131422 an auroraklg (whose story Of Elves and Sisters I also read) for commenting on the last chapter. &lt;33