Status: in process

She's My Best Friend

2

It had been a few weeks since the incident on Seabrook’s balcony. Due to a couple of quick road trips, and Charlotte’s workaholic nature the pair had only had time for a couple of short phone calls, and texting. Charlotte had been vehemently avoiding the topic that came up at the party. Where as Adam had thought of nothing else since.

“Earth to Bur”, Patrick Kane mocked as he threw a rolled up pair of socks at Adam who was zoning out in his stall after practice. “What’s up with you seriously, bro. You haven’t shut up since I met you, but today I don’t think you have said one thing all practice. What gives?” Adam just rolled his eyes, and threw the socks back.

Patrick Sharp overhearing Kane interjected “Kaner don’t you have to be home before the street lights come on or something. You might want to hurry up.” referring to the fact that Kane and their captain Jonathan Toews were barely old enough to drink let alone live on their own.This caused Adam to chuckle.

“First off the whole joking deal about me and Toews being too young is really getting old,” Kaner huffed, “and its like 11:30 in the afternoon it wasn’t even clever.” But none the less Kaner stalked off mumbling obscenities under his breath.

“Thanks” Adam mumbled before he focused all his attention to staring at his own skates. Sharpie had seen Charlotte leave the Hawks party rather abruptly, and had guessed it hadn’t went well between her and Adam. Adam’s mood since the party had only reaffirmed his assumption.

“Look I don’t want to intrude or anything, but you haven’t been yourself lately. Something on your mind?” Sharp asked.

Adam knew what Sharp was referring too and replied, “I don’t know. I thought telling Charlie how I felt would be a good thing, ya know. Even if she didn’t feel the same way at least I would know, move on even. But its gotten worse. I can’t stop thinking about her. Fuck Sharpie I can’t even get her out of my head when I sleep.”

“So what are you going to do about it?” Sharpie questioned. Adam just looked at him helplessly.

“What do you mean, what am I going to do about it. There is nothing too do. She wants nothing to do with me. She made that part crystal clear.” Adam said remembering Charlotte’s outburst.

Sharp laughed, “When has that ever stopped the famous ladies man. Sounds to me that you gave a half ass attempt at getting her attention.”

Adam looked at Sharp incredulously, “What!”

“Look I’m just saying, you like Charlie a lot right. If the way you feel about her is different then the girls you normally go for then why the hell are you giving up just like that.”

Adam went silent for a moment before mischievous smile spread across his face. Sharpie saw the small glint reappear in Adam’s eyes wondering to himself if he should warn Charlotte that he might have released a monster on her.

“I have to go, Sharpie.” Adam said fumbling to get dressed as quickly as possible before he rushed out of the locker room to the parking lot.

“Good talk” Sharpie laughed to himself.

[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]..........[ ]

Adam dialed Charlotte’s number as he speed out of the parking lot. “Meet me outside our diner in fifteen minutes. We’re going to lunch.” and with that Adam hung up the phone not even giving Charlotte a chance to get out a hello. As Adam continued to weave threw traffic he found a flower shop on his iPhone, and called their number. He got a bouquet of daisies sent to her office, making sure they would be there when she got back from lunch, just as he was pulling into the parking lot.

Charlotte spotted Adam’s car from the sidewalk and waited for him to catch up. “Adam, you could have given me a bit more notice I’m already over loaded as it is.” Charlotte sighed giving Adam a hug hello.

“That’s the point,” Adam responded, “your always so busy so I wasn’t taking no for an answer.

“I guess your right.” Charlotte laughed, “This probably was the only way you would’ve gotten me to come.” They made their way inside where they were seated, and placed their orders.

“I think you really need to slow done Charlie. You really are working to much. We barely hang out anymore, and I’m not ok with that. It’s not just me either. I think Abby is planning some sort of intervention/kidnapping if your not at the game tomorrow night.” Adam joked.

“I do not work to much.” Charlotte shot pack defensively. Adam just gave her a look. “What, I don’t.”

“When was the last time you took a vacation.”

Charlotte just rolled her eyes, “Vacations are for pussies.”

Adam shook his head with a chuckle, “How about, when was the last time you took a full weekend off. I mean no work at all. No paperwork at home on Sunday, or sneaking into your office on Saturday for a couple of hours.” Charlotte went to respond when Adam interrupted “Conference calls count as work.” Charlotte simply crossed her arms over her chest and glared.

“Look there is a big project due at the end of this week. It has taken up a lot of my time I know. I’ll make it up to you this weekend. I promise no conference calls.” offered Charlotte.

“Thats not enough. This weekend your all mine. We are going to do what I want the whole time, and your not going within ten feet of your work or your office at home. Got it!”

Charlotte laughed at his immaturity. “Fine, Mr. Burish you have yourself a deal.”

Adam smiled to himself, first phase of his plan was complete. The waiter had since brought their food giving them a few moments of silence as they began devouring their meal.

“So, I wanted to talk about what I said on Seab’s balcony the other night.” Adam said around his last mouthful of food.

“Adam I thought we discussed this. We agreed we were just going to forget about what happened.” Charlotte replied softly.

“Actually, you decided that. There was no discussion.” Adam said with a smile. “And now I’m deciding that we aren’t going to just forget about it. In fact, the exact opposite is going to happen.” Charlotte just sat there silently not really sure where he was going with this. “You see Charlie, I wasn’t kidding when I said that this was different. A simple no isn’t enough for me to back off here. I’m going to prove to you that your not just some random fling to me.” Adam said with a playful glint in his eye.

“Adam you can’t be serious right now.” Charlotte questioned suspiciously. The check came before she could say anything else as Adam snatched it from Charlotte’s grasp.

“Oh, I am doll face. I plan on knocking your socks off.” Adam laughed throwing a few bills down, and standing up. “I’ll pick you up from work on Friday, just so you don’t have the chance to forget about our little deal.” and with that Adam placed a quick kiss on her cheek and walked out of the restaurant before any objections could be made.
♠ ♠ ♠
Since I got a few subscribers, I thought I would give this story a go instead of leaving it a one shot. Any comments would be extremely helpful even if only to fix grammatical errors. I always seem to miss so many of those.

Also, I don't think you can find this story under the tags I assigned it to for some reason. So I'm guessing some of the readers are not Blackhawks fans, and I might be assuming you guys know more of the back-story and characters then you actually do. If this is the case please leave me a comment, and I'll try to change the way I write about them. I don't want it to get unnecessarily confusing.