Status: Expect a new chapter this weekend! :D

I Left My Heart In Huntington Beach

Chapter 23

Nicole’s Pov:

I carefully slipped my dress over my head and struggled to zip it up in the back. The one time Biker Boy isn’t here and he would’ve have been useful. I sighed, turning around in a little circle, cursing under my breath as I continued struggling with the zipper.

After a few more attempts, the zipper finally decided to cooperate. I grasped the doorframe as I slipped on my heels, trying my best not to fall on my face. So far we had no injuries, not even a bruise or a scratch. Let’s hope it stays that way this whole night. I’m not really feeling to comfortable in these heels, but I could use a little extra height.

I picked up Snickers and set her on the bed, trying to lessen the chances of tripping over her. Snatching my makeup bag off the bedside table, I made my way into the bathroom and flicked on the lights. A small smile tugged at the corner of my lips as I stared at the bathroom counter.

I flashed back to Brian and I in Vegas when he so kindly had assisted me with my makeup. I remembered his warm breath as they caressed my lips and his hands firmly held my sides as he tossed me onto the bed. I shook my head, coming down from my cloud, and drawing a deep breath, I pushed the memory aside.

I opened up my makeup bag and started applying my eyeliner, trying to push away the longing feeling I had for that moment, and Brian.

Brian’s Pov:

I held onto the ladder as Zack stood on the top step, hanging up the ‘Welcome Home… Again’ banner on the banister.

“Hey Z,”

“Yeah?”

“Why didn’t you just hang it on the wall?” I asked with a little chuckle and pointed to the left wall, beside the door. Zack’s movements stopped, and he dropped one arm as he turned to look at the wall.

“Fuck,” He mumbled as his other arm fell to his side. He let out a sigh and stepped down off the later. “Next time, we will hang it on the wall.” Zack said and set the hammer down on the ladder before walking off towards the kitchen.

“What do you mean next time?” I asked and followed him to the kitchen. “There isn’t going to be another time for a very, very long time.”

I took a seat at the shiny marble island in the middle of the kitchen as Zack opened up the fridge, setting two cases of beer in front of me.

“Aww, are these for me?” I asked with a small smirk.

Zack smiled and flipped me off before turning back around and pulling out two bottles of soda.

“Zack, who the hell is gonna be drinking soda tonight?”

“You never know, maybe someone will. Just being prepared.” He murmured with a little shrug.

He took a seat next to me and swatted at my hand as I reached for a chip.

“Not until everyone gets here.” He said and jabbed a finger at me.

“Yes sir.” I said and raised my hands in surrender. I looked around the house, envious of how nice it had turned out. I’m not gonna go into details, because us men just don’t do that. But it did turn out pretty great.

I smiled a little as I thought of Nicole and how much she would love it as well. She would be complimenting every corner of the home. And I could only imagine how quickly she would fall in love with the bookshelves that sat in the living room next to the couches. She would probably even donate a few books to the shelf.

I took a deep breath, trying to push away the memory. I hated the sinking feeling I now had in my gut and the longing I felt for that moment, and Nicole.

“So when is everyone coming tonight?” I asked, suddenly annoyed with the silence.

“They should be here in an hour or so. I just told everyone to show up before eight.” He said and shut the fridge door before taking a seat next to me.

“Why eight?” I asked as my brow furrowed.

“Because by that time I’ll be to drunk to answer the door.” He said with a smile and took the chip I was about to pick up again.

Nicole’s Pov:

I set Snicker’s food bowl back onto the ground, smiling a little as she scurried over, her tail wagging graciously. I softly gave her a pat on the head and put the dog food back up into the cupboard, glancing over at the clock.

It was 5:00. The party would start in an hour. To be honest, I didn’t really want to go. I don’t like parties, they were always painfully awkward for me. And I didn’t like how great the chance was that I could end up running into Brian.

But Heather was my friend, and so was Zack. I guess I could suck it up and be there for both of them. I would just stay far away from Biker Boy. Maybe I’d even have a drink or two, or five. I didn’t want to arrive to early, but I figured the sooner I come, the sooner I can leave.

I grabbed my purse and keys off the coffee table and turned off the kitchen lights. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I took a deep breath, preparing myself for what the night would possibly bring.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Come on!” I yelled. Turning my keys, I held my breath as I waited to hear my car roar to life.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” I groaned, smacking my hands on the steering wheel. How could my car already be having problems? It’s not even that old!

My shoulders slumped as I stared at my car with a mixture of disbelief and anger. I gripped the top of the steering wheel with two hands and set my head on the horn. I wondered if this could get me out of going to the party, but then I realized that Heather would just end driving me to the party.

Heather!

I sprung back into my seat and reached for my phone. I scrolled through my contacts until I found Heather’s name. She answered after the third ring.

“Nicole, where the hell are you?” Heather asked. I could hear some laughter mixed in with music in the background. My stomach clenched, my breathing caught got in my throat. I knew that laugh.

“Hello? Nicole?”

I shook my head, somehow finding my voice.

“Yeah, sorry. I’m here.”

“Well where are you? I thought you were gonna hang with me until everyone else came.”

“Well, I have a bit of a problem.”

“What is it?” She asked with a hint of caution in her voice.

“My stupid car broke down.” I said and smacked the steering wheel. Heather’s laughter rang through the phone.

“Alright, just stay put. I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Thanks.” I muttered before the line went dead. I yanked the keys out of the ignition and grabbed my purse off the passenger seat, I stepped out of the car, slamming my door shut. I tossed my keys into my purse and sat down on the steps in front of the apartment buildings. There was no way I was walking all the way back up those stairs in these heels.

I set my heels on the ground beside me, rubbing my already aching feet. I rested my chin in the palm of my hand, wondering how long it would take Heather to pick me up. She wasn’t the best with time.

I groaned and kicked at my heels, cursing my car under my breath. The one night I actually need it, it breaks! Stupid car and stupid luck!

I suddenly became very interested in the little cracks in the cement. My eyes traced along each crack as they lead into another one and another, and soon my eyes landed on the grass. It was damp from the fog that had fallen over the city this morning. Yellow and brown leaves were scattered all around the now bare tree that stood in front of the apartment building.

I shivered a little as a light breeze hit my arms. I threw another glare at my car, knowing that I would have been at Zack’s and Heathers house by now, not sitting on cold stairs and staring at cracks on the ground.

I began counting cars that drove by as the minutes passed. Where the heck was Heather? There’s no way she could’ve gotten lost.

I closed my eyes for a moment, finally bored from the cracks on the ground and the cars passing by, I decided just to take a little nap. I took in a deep breath and exhaled, resting my head in my hand. But my nap didn’t last long.

A jumped as I heard a loud honk. I picked up my heels, grateful that Heather was finally here. I skipped over to the car and swung open the door.

“Heather you almost gave me a--” My mouth hung open as I suddenly forgot how to speak. Every muscle in my body froze as I stared at the person in the driver’s seat.

“Hey,” He murmured with a soft smile.

“What the hell are you doing here? I asked for Heather to come pick me up, not you!” I snapped, thrusting my heels at him.

“Well Heather was busy, so I volunteered to come pick you up.” He replied with a small smirk. That smirk used to make me feel weak in the knees, but now it just made me want to punch him in the face.

“I’m not going anywhere with you! I’ll just walk. No, better yet, I’ll just stay home.” I slammed the door and turned back towards my apartment. Heather would understand. Besides, she would be so consumed with Zack later that she probably wouldn’t remember what the party was even for.

“Nicole, wait.” I heard him call after me as he rolled the window down.

I glared at my feet as they stopped, and I turned around.

“What?”

“What’s it gonna take to get you in this car?”

“Nothing because I’m not going anywhere with you Brian.” I spun on my heel, stomping back towards the stairs. I heard a car door slam, but ignored it, stepping onto the bottom stair.

I gasped as I was lifted off the ground and thrown over Brian’s shoulder.

“No, stop! Put me down!” I growled and began smacking his back with my heels.

He swung open the passenger door and plopped me onto the seat. He snatched the heels from my hand with a small glare and shut the door. I planned my escape as he made his way over to the driver’s side.

He still had a glare on his face as he put on his seatbelt and stuck the keys in the ignition. I jumped as I heard a loud click. I looked to my side to see my door was locked. I figured I could just unlock it and run up the stairs, I didn’t really need my heels after all, but Brian was already halfway down the road.

I let out a frustrated sighed and propped my arm on the door, resting my head in my palm. I took deep breaths, still wondering if I had a chance of escaping. Now I really didn’t want to go to this stupid party.

I couldn’t believe that I had missed him so much, that he had consumed every single thought for days on end and now that he’s here, I just want him to leave. I really didn’t even know why I was so mad, I was over the whole tattoo ordeal. I would never admit it to anyone, but I have kinda warmed up to it.

Maybe it’s the fact that he seems so confident. That he thinks he can just come right back into my life and I’ll forgive him, that I’ll fall into his arms like some stupid damsel in distress. I am no damsel and I’m not in distress. I was just fine without him…sort of.

I began taking my notice of my surroundings, just wanting to get out of the car with him already. My anger had settled, now it just felt a bit awkward. And the silence was agonizing.

“Brian, where are we going?”

“Beach.” He simply replied.

I reached over and yanked the steering wheel, jerking the car to the right side of the road. Brian quickly reacted and gained control of the steering wheel.

“What the fuck are you trying to do, kill us?” He snapped, shooting another glare at me. Or it’s the same one he’s been wearing the entire time.

“I don’t want to go to the beach.”

“Okay, so would you rather go to the party?” He asked with a little chuckle.

I crossed my arms and sunk down into my seat.

“That’s what I thought.”

************************

The moon shone softly over the water, making a path in the ocean that looked like a blanket of diamonds. I had never been to the beach at night before, actually I really have never been down to the beach. Not long enough to really take it all in.

I rubbed my arms, trying to warm myself up. I had never wanted my jacket more than now. It wasn’t even that cold, I was probably just shivering because it was so nerve racking being around Brian.

I jumped a little as his hand grazed my shoulder. I looked over to see him place his jacket over my shoulders. I offered a little smile and slid my arms through the sleeves, pulling it tightly to my body.

“Thank you,” I murmured.

“Your welcome. I’m sorry for sort of kidnapping you.”

“Don’t worry about it.” I said.

A silence fell over us again. The smooth sound of the waves and the occasional seagull was the only thing that could be heard. I turned my eyes back towards the water. I could see one surfer out in the distance, just sitting on his board and staring up at the moon at the waves gently rocked him side to side.

“Nicole, I’m sorry.”

Finally turning to look at him, I saw a soft, helpless look on his face. I’d never seen him look so innocent, fragile even.

“Did you really mean it?”

“What I just said?” He asked and furrowed his brows.

“No, did you mean it when you told me you loved me?”

He took a deep breath and nodded his head.

“I’m sorry if I overreacted on the whole tattoo thing.” I said with a sigh. I could feel his gaze on the side of my face, but I couldn’t make myself look back at him.

“Don’t be. You had every right to be pissed at me. I don’t know what I was thinking.”

“I didn’t either. I have never drank that much in my life, that was such a dumb idea.”

“You were pretty fucked up.” Brian said with a laugh. I couldn’t help but laugh with him. I looked over to see him smiling a little. It had been so long since I’ve seen his smile, I had missed it.

Feeling my gaze, he turned to look at me. I stared into his eyes, feeling like we were the only ones on the beach, the only ones in the entire city. I had almost forgotten how brown they were, how they never failed to give me a fuzzy warm feeling in my stomach.

Without thinking, I jumped from my seat on the bench and setting my hands on his cheeks, I pulled his lips onto mine. I let myself dissolve into his arms as he wrapped them around my waist, pulling me in closer. He was so warm I felt no need anymore for his jacket. His lips were as soft as I had so vividly remembered them, and he smelled like cologne and cigarettes, just like always.

I gasped as he broke the kiss and grabbed my hand, running to the car.

***************

I let out an involuntary moan as Brian kicked the door shut, his lips still attached to mine. I set my bag onto what I was hoping was Brian’s couch and reattached my fingers to his hair. I gasped as he smacked my ass and picked me up, walking off towards what I was guessing was the bedroom. It had been a while since I’d been to Brian’s house.

My guess proved to be correct as I was softly laid onto his bed. He wasted no time in joining me on the bed. He hovered over me, his hands on both sides of my head. He smiled down at me as I ran my hands up his arms and down his chest, practically ripping his shirt as I pulled it over his head and tossed it carelessly on the floor.

I let out a sigh that somehow transformed into a moan as he planted soft kisses across my jaw and down my neck. I bit my lip, trying my best to stifle my moans. He ran his hands under my shirt and I could feel the goosebumps rise on arms. I sat up a little and pulled his jacket off my arms, throwing it over his shoulder and lifted my arms as it was his turn to pull my shirt up over my head and toss it over his shoulder.

I laid back down as he pulled my legs apart and settled in between them. I could feel my cheeks turn red, but I wanted this to happen. He smiled a little and leaned closer to close the space between us. He closed his eyes and was about to place his lips onto mine when I could hear my cellphone ringing from the living room.

“Fuck,” Brian growled under his breath. “Please just let it ring, it‘s probably just Heather.”

“I have to answer it.” I said with a sad sigh and threw my legs over the side of the bed, searching for any piece of clothing. I picked up Brian’s jacket and wrapped it over me as I ran to catch the call.
`
I looked at the caller I.D., not recognizing the number. But when I picked it up, I immediately recognized the scared voice on the other line.

“Shauna? Wait, slow down, I can‘t understand you.” I furrowed my brow as I tired to understand my sisters rushed words. “Oh my god, okay stay where you are. I’ll be right there.”

“Brian!” I yelled as I hung up my phone. I turned to see him walking out of the hallway, he gave a small shrug.

“We need to go to the airport.” I said as I began gathering my things. I zipped the jacket all the way up and grabbed my heels out of my purse, slipping them onto my feet.

“Why? Nicole what’s wrong?” He asked, now standing by my side.

I turned to look at him, already feeling the tears stinging my eyes. I could only manage to get one word out.

“Bella,”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright guys only a few more chapters left until this story is finished! I'm possibly thinking of doing a sequel, and I WOULD LOVE YOUR COMMENTS! Please let me know what you think about the story and if I should do a sequel. Thanks again for reading! :D