Ten Things I Hate About Alex Gaskarth

getting along.

I knock on the door of my childhood door gently, signaling I was here, before pushing it open. The smell of garlic and marinara sauce was inhaled as Alex and I step into the foyer. I smile. I’d missed my mom’s cooking.

“Mom?” I call out. I hear her muffle something back from the kitchen. Alex takes a step toward that general area, but I put a hand against his chest to stop him.

He smirks. “You just can’t resist me, can you?”

I clear my throat and remove my hand from his chest, the beating of his heart ringing in my ears. “A few ground rules before I truly introduce you to my parents,” I tell him.

Alex sighs, rolling his eyes. “Fine. What are they?”

“One,” I start, crossing my arms over my chest, “do not make fun of my dad. The last boy I brought home said my father was putting on some weight, and the next second he was out on the street with my dad slamming the door. Two, do not hit on my mom. It’s happened before it’s just uncomfortable. And three, ignore what my mom says to you. Everything she says to you. Got it?”

Alex just laughs, shaking his head. “I will make sure to follow every single one of those rules. As long as your mother’s cooking is good.” His grin widened as I just groan, stomping my way to the kitchen. My mother was in front of the counter, tossing salad in a bowl. She looks over as I walk in.

Her mouth forms into a silent O and she jerks to move back around when her arm suddenly hits the bowl, knocking the Tupperware to the ground.

“You didn’t tell me you were bringing your boyfriend!” she exclaims.

“Mom—”

“How long have you been dating?” she asks, almost excitedly, ignoring the spilled greens on the ground. “I can’t believe you never told me you were seeing such an attractive man!”

“Oh,” Alex smiles, his arms suddenly snaking around my waist. “Just a few weeks. Nothing too serious, but it’s heading there.”

I shove Alex off, scoffing. “We aren’t dating. We’re just friends.”

My mom’s smile drops and she clucks her tongue. “Such a shame. My daughter needs a man in her life. It would be healthy for her.” She shakes her head and turns back to the salad, bending down to pick up the littered pieces of lettuce. I glare at Alex before moving over to help her.

I hear Alex move into the living room, his footsteps padding across the carpet. My dad grunts, his gesture to acknowledge that another person was in the room.

I stand up, peering over the wall to look into the living room.

“Hmm,” Alex hums thoughtfully, pointing at the TV. “I missed the game last Sunday. Did you TiVo it?” he asks, plopping down beside my dad. My father looks over at Alex, raising a stubby eyebrow.

“I did,” my dad answered, looking at Alex skeptically. “Ravens are up 14 to 6. Might turn their season around.” My dad uncrosses his arms. I gasp.

“I sure hope so. I bet everything on them this season.”

My dad nods slowly, and then puts out a hand. Alex looks over at it. “I’m Frank,” my father introduces himself. I could feel my jaw drop to the low pits of hell. “Are you my daughter’s new boyfriend?”

“No, just a friend,” Alex answers, shaking my father’s waiting hand. “I’m Alex. I’m trying to redeem myself for something I did to her in high school.”

“Are you Prom boy?”

Alex hesitates, but nods. “I’ve regretted that day ever since it happened.”

My dad stares silently before shrugging. “I understand. We all make mistakes,” he says roughly. “I just don’t want you hurting my little girl again, right?” My dad gives him the stink eye, a sight I’d never seen before.

“I don’t plan too,” Alex says softly. Almost so soft, it sounded loving.

__


The rest of the night went surprisingly…amazing.

Alex and my dad got along really well. So well that I was close to standing up and screaming at them to stop. I complained and complained about Alex after Prom, and for my dad to just forgive him so easily…it’s astonishing.

Alex and my mom compared stories, which I also found odd. My mom is very picky when it comes to my boyfriends, so for her to latch onto Alex so quickly, it seems quite peculiar.

“Thanks for dinner,” I smile, hugging my mom. “I’ve missed you guys. I hope I can come out and visit more. But I’m trying to get the book published and—”

“It’s fine,” my mom grins. “Just come when you can.”

I nod. My dad puts out a hand for Alex to shake, grinning, and Alex returns the shake, a smile on his face as well. “Thanks for coming over, Alex,” my dad says. “It was a pleasure. You’re the first boy Ana’s brought in a long while that I’ve actually enjoyed talking to.”

Alex laughs, shaking his head slightly. “Thank you, Frank. That means a lot.”

My father nods, suddenly getting a serious look to his eyes. “Remember what we talked about, son, all right?” Alex nods, licking his lips. I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion, opening and closing my mouth.

“Talked about what?” I ask, but my parents just say good night before going back into the house, shutting the door. I look over at Alex. “What did you talk about?”

“Nothing,” he answers, shaking his head. “I’m gonna head home.”

He starts walking down the driveway toward his car, almost loping. “Hey!” I shout, running after him. “Tell me! You made me drag you over here so you better fucking tell me what my dad said to you.”

“I promised I wouldn’t.”

“I don’t care. Tell me.”

He shakes his head again, taking out his keys and unlocking his Audi. I grind my teeth together as he opens the driver seat door.

“You seriously aren’t gonna tell me?” I ask stubbornly, crossing my arms.

“I’m really not gonna tell you.”

I push out my bottom lip. “Fine. Asshole.” I spin around and go toward my own car, unlocking it and opening the driver’s side door. But just as I was about to get in, wanting to make a dramatic exit by heatedly driving off, I hear Alex call out my name. I perk my head up, hoping he decided to tell.

“What?” I call back, cupping my hands over my mouth.

“What are you doing on Saturday?” he yells back, smirking.

I think for a moment, biting my bottom lip. “I’m meeting up with Leila and her boyfriend. Why?” I shout in return, cocking my head to the side. Is he trying to ask me out?

Alex gives a head shake. “No reason. See you later.”

Then he gets in his car, starts it up, and drives away. As he passes me to get to the end of the street, he gives me a wave of his hand, the silver ring on his ring finger winking at me.

Number Four:

How he can get along with my parents. What the fuck.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is short. I am so sorry. I haven't updated almost all of my stories in so long, and I hope to fix that. But it will be hard to since my schedule will be so full from now on. Read this to find out what will be happening: Important - Again. Thanks!
Thoughts?

Lauri
lilac encouragement;
TheHider