Ten Things I Hate About Alex Gaskarth

unpredictable.

"I'm gonna kick your ass, Gaskarth," I mutter, tightening the laces of my bowling shoes. "Just you watch. It's gonna be fucking legendary."

He laughs, stretching his arms over his head. My eyes flick to his biceps that bulged out, my heart pumping faster involuntarily. I shake my head and go over to my bowling ball, picking it up. Leila and Sam whoop and cheer, throwing their fists in the air in encouragement. I grin and put the ball in front of my face, breathing deeply. Then I throw.

Strike.

"Fuck yes!" I yell, jumping in the air. "I just bumped my score up ten motherfucking points."

I do a little victory dance, which Alex just smirks at. "I bet I can do the same thing," he retaliates, getting to his feet. He stretches his arm across his chest, keeping his eyes level with me. I could feel my cheeks flushing rapidly.

"I bet you can't," I answer haughtily, crossing my arms over my chest stubbornly. "Actually, I bet you fifty bucks you get less than nine pins."

He raises his eyebrows. "You sure? You can't take it back."

"I'm sure."

He chuckles, and as he walks by me to get to the bowling balls, he places a hasty kiss on my cheek. I make a disgusted noise and wipe it off, walking over to where Rian and Jack were sitting. I take a seat beside the latter boy, crossing my legs. He gives me a bewildered look, which I return with one of my own. "What?" I ask.

"Are you stupid?" he snorts as Rian just grins. "Alex is the master at bowling. He may be super awkward and lanky, but this is the one sport Zack can't beat him at."

I scoff. "Are you trying to scare me?"

"I wish."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. I just want to see if he'll slip up. Get him to fall on his small ass. It'll serve him right to lose for once." I sit back against the vinyl cushion. The two boys beside me share a look before shrugging, gazing back at Alex.

Alex threw his arm back and let the bowling ball roll onto the lane. It moved and moved and moved until it hits the pins...

Strike.

My eyes widen as Alex throws his arms in the air, giving a holler of triumph. "Fuck yeah!" he screeches like a banshee. "I believe someone owes me fifty dollars."

I groan, standing up and walking over to my bag. "I hope you get it up the ass when you're trying to sleep tonight," I mutter, removing my wallet. "That way I can sleep better myself, knowing you got exactly what you deserve."

"I just think the thought of me getting some helps you sleep."

"Why would that help me sleep?"

"Because you picture yourself as the one giving me some."

I roll my eyes for a second time and hand him his money. He plucks it from my hand, grinning cheekily. "I wonder what I can spend this on. Oh! How about some lingerie for you to wear tonight? I think you'd look really good in this red piece I saw at the mall last week..." I could feel heat pulsing from my face, bringing my hand up to slap his arm. Alex just laughs.

"That was gross," I mumble, throwing my bag back on the ground. The devil himself just chuckles again, curling his arms around my waist. "Get off, Alex."

He pouts. "But I thought you liked it when I hold you."

"Oh, she does," Sam calls out, a smile on his face. I send him a glare. "She likes it a lot." Leila laughs, agreeing with him. Jack and Rian laugh as well, both sending us inexplicable looks. I just elbow Alex, moving away from him.

"Sam, remember the penis cutting we discussed?" His face goes pale as I grin, flouncing back over to my chair. I plop down in it.

Hours pass as we all just sat around, talked, ate, and bowled.

And even though the boy who ruined my high school career sat a mere three feet away from me the entire time, it was, honestly...nice. He's been so civil this past week. What's gotten into him? Is he really trying to make up for it like he said?

"I am pooped," Leila sighs. "Ana, I will be calling you tomorrow so we can plan your party. We've put it off for too long now."

"Party?" Jack perks up. "There's gonna be a party?"

My best friend nods as we all move to the door, Sam's arm around her shoulders. A pang of jealousy shoots through me again. "Ana's birthday party, to be exact. She hasn't celebrated it with her friends in years. She's turning the big two-three this year. I want it to be spectacular." She grins over at me, winking.

I glare back as we all step outside, the chilly night air wrapping around me like a blanket.

"Night everybody," Sam grins. "See you later."

He and his girlfriend walk off, giggling and kissing through the parking lot. I stick my tongue out, turning to the other three boys.

"I'm gonna head off, too," Jack yawns, putting an arm around Rian. "Wanna come with, babe? I know you've been dying to get in bed with me all night." The shorter boy rolls his eyes, pushing Jack's arm off. They both bid farewell before walking off as well.

I blow out a breath, bringing my hands up to rub at my goosebump-filled arms. My breath evaporated in the air, creating mist. I watch it absentmindedly.

"Are you cold?" Alex suddenly asks, causing me to look up at him.

I clear my throat, about to protest. "No, I can - "

But he had already removed his jacket from his shoulders, handing it to me. "Alex, no it's - " He shakes his head silently and thrusts it in my arms. I hesitate but put it around me anyway, grinning involuntarily when warmth greeted me. The feeling was like scratching an itch that I'd had for months.

"So, uh," I swallow, feeling awkward all of a sudden. "I'm pretty tired as well. I think I'll head home." He nods, scuffing his foot against the ground.

"I'll walk you to your car," he murmurs.

I don't deny his motion, heading to my car parked at back of the lot.

We walk in silence, the only sound being our breathing and our feet hitting the ground. I look away from Alex as we loped, biting my bottom lip as a blush covered my cheeks. Why am I even blushing? Dammit.

In a matter of time, we stop in front of my Honda Civic. I could spot Alex's Audi across the lot, the silver hood gleaming under the stars. I wish I owned that car.

"Are you okay?" Alex suddenly blurts. I glance over at him.

"Yeah," I answer slowly, cocking my head to the side. "Why wouldn't I be?"

He shrugs. "You haven't been the same. You're a lot different then you were in high school. I don't know if it's because I've been bugging you lately, or because you've just changed a lot..."

"I've changed," I reply quickly, another blush hitting my cheeks. Luckily, he didn't notice. "High school taught me...many things."

"Like what?"

I nip at my bottom lip, exhaling. "It taught me not to trust people. I used to depend too heavily on everyone I knew. I...I put too much of myself into relationships. People took advantage of me." I look him dead in the eyes. "Something I learned at Prom."

He freezes, his back as stiff as a board. "Listen..." he trails off, his voice heavy. "I know I've already said, but I am so sorry. I just wish you would accept - "

"Why did you do it?"'

The question was blunt and loud, and it caught him off guard. I knew it did, but I didn't let it affect me. I stared at him in defiance. I was determined to get an answer out of him. I needed to know. No matter how many times he will dodge this, I will eventually get him to spill the beans. And I want him to knock the can over right now.

"What?" he manages to gasp out, his face incredulous under the dusty streetlamp light. "What do you mean why did I do it?"

"Why did you tell me I was Prom Queen when I wasn't?" I repeat, louder.

Alex took a long time to answer, his voice quiet. But finally he does, speaking so soft that it was hard for me to hear him. "It's because I asdfghjkl..."

"What did you say?" I ask, leaning closer to get a better listen.

He straightens up, letting out a shaky breath. I was glad he was nervous. "I did it because back in high school, I knew I was gonna get Prom King. Everyone said they had voted for me. But...but the girl I wanted to win Prom Queen with wasn't nominated. So...on the night of Prom, I told her she had won so maybe her and I could get a first dance."

I felt like someone had punched me in the gut. I couldn't breathe. My watery heart rate was pounding in my ears like an endless drone. Did Alex Gaskarth just say that to me?

"I..." I swallow, my throat having gone dry. "You wanted me to win?"

He nods, his face broken and his eyes drooping so I couldn't see the expression in them. "I wanted you to win so we could be King and Queen together. But obviously that didn't go as I had planned. So I lied."

"Why...why did you want me to win Prom Queen?"

Alex laughs without humor. "Isn't it obvious? I liked you, Anastasia."

My heart sunk to the ground. This whole time...this whole time I hated Alex for what he did, thinking he hated me and wanted to see me humiliated. But really, it was almost the complete opposite? "You liked me?"

"I did," he murmurs.

Silence overwhelms us again, my body shivering. But it wasn't just from the cold now. I couldn't get my eyes to stray from Alex. I was drinking in his face.

"Do you still like me?" I finally utter, my heart beating in anticipation.

Our eyes stay locked as I wait for him to answer impatiently. I feel him take a step forward, my throat swallowing on instinct. My lips shook, not only from the chill but from the need to feel his mouth on mine. I watch as his hand comes up to cup the side of my face, our skin making contact causing shudders to roll up and down my spine. Tingles burst in my veins as he leans closer, his warm breath fanning over my cold face.

And then our lips connect. It was like a burst of life inside of me, a firework exploding in color. We suck in before molding closer together simultaneously, our arms wrapping around each other. His body shielded mine from the night freeze, his lips moving against mine like a dance. Our tongues caressed, our lips sucked, our breaths mingled.

Then, he was pulling away, his eyes wide.

We just stare at each other for a moment. I was the first to come to my senses, taking a step back, peeling away from him. The loss of warm overtook me, making me sad.

"I...I..." he stutters out, his gaze on me unwavering.

"I have to go," I finish for him, breaking our eye contact. He opens his mouth to say something, but I was already unlocking my car and sliding in. I was driving away moments later, leaving him standing in the empty lot, alone.

Number Six:

How unpredictable he is. Like kissing me out of nowhere.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoo! They kissed c:
I know all of you have been waiting for this.
Who knows what's gonna happen next? Only 4 chapters left!
Thoughts?

kayleeLAUREN
TheHider
Dan Flint;
lilac encouragement;
domious
Kelsey Karnage