Status: completed

Sweetest Downfall

Seven - Emilyn

It was nearing the noon hour, but I didn't break yet. We'd finished breakfast hours ago and went straight to the training arena. It was day three of our training -the final day- and I wanted to try my hardest to look fierce and intimidating to the other tributes. For a few, I'm sure it was working. Others, like the Careers from District 2, 3, and 4, were not as impressed. In fact, they all kind of scared me a little but I put on my brave face and keep up my training. For hours upon hours, I ran and I stretched, even did a little sword practice.

"Lunchtime," muttered Emmer and Presh and I followed him back through the arena and into the cafeteria. I loaded up my plate with fried chicken legs, rolls, vegetables, fruits, ham, and various other food items. My plate was completely full by the time I sat it down and started to eat. Now was the time to load up on food. I might not be having any for some time. The Games are a day away, but I'm not scared in the least. Nervous, maybe, but not scared.

"Are you ready, Emilyn?" Emmer asked, taking a bite of some mashed potatoes. I nodded slowly, knowing exactly what my mentor was referring to. Today was the day that Gamemakers called you in to scope out and evaluate your skills. Then, they'd rank you on a scale of 1 to 12 and broadcast it the night before the Games. Of course, they called you in by District number, boy first, which meant that I would be the first of the day. I had to make a lasting impression on them, give them something to look for in the Games. The higher your number, the more likely it was for you to be sponsored. Sponsorship guaranteed you little gifts throughout the Games- gifts that could help you survive.

"I'll give it everything I've got, sir," I told him and he grinned. He liked my attitude.

"Which is barely anything," Presh said nonchalantly before taking a sip of her drink. I let my fork drop down to my plate with a clatter. She looked up at me with an uninterested expression.

"What the hell did I ever do to you?" I exclaimed, slamming my hands down on the table. Emmer looked mortified but Presh just narrowed her eyes and cocked her head. I smirked back at her.

"You were born."

"Oh, I'm sorry my existence bothers you," I paused. "Or maybe the reason you hate me -hate everyone, really- is because you're a bitch."

Her jaw dropped but she quickly tightened it. She stood then and glared down at me. She clenched her hands into fists and fought the urge to hit me. I hated her now. She had been nothing but a nuisance since we got here, always trying to put me down. If this was the last time I saw her, I wouldn't even give a damn. "What did you just say to me?"

"Or maybe you think that if you act like the toughest tribute, you won't get killed," I smirked. "Am I close?"

"You're not even close. You don't have any room to talk, pretty boy. You try look so strong out there while training but the truth is that they've all plotted your death a thousand times! Pretty boys like you are easy targets."

"You think I'm pretty?" I asked her, my voice sounding as sarcastic as humanly possible.

"You better-"

"No. You're the one who's going to listen to me, Presh. You better watch your back out there in the Games. You never know who's willing to stab you in the back."

Just as she was about to yell at me, or smack me, or whatever it was that she wanted to do, Emmer taps my shoulder. His face was hard and his lips were in a straight line. He gritted his teeth before speaking. "I think it's time you see the Gamemakers."

I didn't say anything to either of them but walked out of the cafeteria, through the arena, and then to the building where the Gamemakers stay all day. You'd never know if they were observing your training or not, though I'm not sure they would. They had so many other things on their minds and the plan for the Hunger Games this year to attend to. I actually had to wait a few minutes before the door open, but that just meant that Emmer was trying to make sure I didn't say anything that I'd regret. When the doors did I opened, I immediately strolled in and stood in front of the Gamemakers. They were mostly old men, though a few were in their younger thirties, but all had a glass of wine in their hands. Hardly even noon yet, but they'd started drinking.

"Emilyn Seeris, male tribe of District One," said the obvious head Gamemaker. He was a tall man with a head full of lucious brown hair. He's wearing a beautifully handcrafted robe and has striking grey eyes.

"Gamemaker." I nodded. He rolled his eyes as if he was bored and waved his hand, gestured for me to do something. I looked toward the side of the room where a large weapons rack was. I eyed each weapon carefully before casually walking over and picking up a sword. I tossed back and forth, from one hand to the next and was surprised at how light it was. The grey eyed Gamemaker pressed a button and suddenly small panels in the floor moved away and large, human shaped targets popped up.

I grinned and went to work, doing what I do best. I surged forward and used my brute strength to slice the first of ten targets right in half. I dropped to the ground and rolled, jumping to my feet and slicing the head off the next target. I kept running, slicing off the limbs of the next two. next, I shoved my sword through the heart of one, turned and swung my sword, decapitating it. Eventually they were all "dead" and I was feeling pretty confident. The grey eyed Gamemaker had other plans.

"Dodge," he muttered and pressed another button and suddenly arrows started flying from secret holes in the side walls. I dropped down to the floor but with another click of a different button, they came flying from there too. I got to my feet as quickly as I could and started to use my sword to block arrows from hitting me. It was working too and once I discovered there was a pattern to the way they shot out, I was able just to hit them away in whatever direction like I wanted. It was nothing that I couldn't handle. A feeling pride surged up in me and I turned to face the head Gamemaker. He frowned. "I have a feeling we won't be seeing you die anytime soon."

"You know what's funny?" I smirked. "I don't think you'll be seeing me die either."

"Funny," he said and gave me a half hearted smile. "We plan on seeing a lot more of you, Mr. Seeris."

"That's a good thing to plan on," my eyes leveled with his and we glared at each other, though I couldn't decide if it was from interest or distaste for each other.

"You may go," he said and I turned to leave, but his voice stopped me. I didn't turn around for him, but stood in place.

"Yeah?" My voice was deep but curious.

"Don't die out there."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if some of my facts are a little incorrect. I'd refer to my copy of the Hunger Games for some of it, but it's being borrowed so I can share it's awesomeness! :D
Please comment, guys<3