Status: new :3

Weightless

Asher Yerby

Hale wasn’t at school for the rest of the week. It saddened me and angered the coaches to no end. I thought about going to visit him but decided against it, maybe he needed some time to himself.

“If you think to hard you’re going to hurt yourself.” Nick joked sitting next to me in the locker room as we got ready for practice. I glared at him before slipping on my shoes. “So um did you hear, coaches have an announcement for us.”

“An announcement?” I whispered. Nick nodded softly before looking over to me, “About Hale so hurry up and get your ass into the gym we’re waiting on you.”

Without a second thought I grabbed my hoodie and followed Nick out the gym were all the guys where stretching and talking among themselves. The coaches were talking among themselves as well, quiet and in hushed voices with saddened looks on their faces. Once they noticed me they called for the attention of the team. “Alright boys we have something serious to tell you guys.” Coach Brock said as Nick and I took our spots next to Basiley and Brandon.

“Remember we are all family, we all support out family and take care of them.” Coach Sanchez added in his thick Mexican accent.

“Our family member Hale will be out for the rest of the season, for the rest of the school year.” Coach Brock said. “He’s in the hospital right now and will be admitted into a residential treatment center for the next few months until he recovers from an eating disorder.”

A ton of gasps and whispers were heard through the gym. I could feel my heart clench in my chest, I knew he was suffering from something like this. It’s just, he didn’t seem like the kind.

“I thought eating disorders were for girls.” Someone called out, I could tell it wasn’t in a joking manner. He sounded completely serious, I guess you could say curious.

“Well recently it’s been common in men and boys as well, we all feel guilty, the coaches, for pressing him about weight and exercising.” Coach Brock said. “For feeding his disorder.”

The room falls silent as everyone process the information. Taking a deep breath I stand up and head into the locker rooms. I quickly change into my normal clothes and get ready to leave, to see Hale because I know right now he needs me. “Asher what are you doing?” Coach asks me watching as I grab my things from the locker.

“To visit Hale, he needs me.” I mumble looking up to him. “I’ll see you later.” I add.

“Wait!” I turn around to see Nick and Brandon standing there. “We’re going too.” Nick adds before they both rush to get ready. Minutes later we’re rushing to my car and to the hospital.

Δ Δ Δ


“Hale Lambert, we’re here to see Hale Lambert.” I repeat to the receptionist.

“He’s in a the middle of a procedure.” The woman says looking up to me.

“What kind of procedure.” Nick asks stealing the question right out of my mouth.

The nurse glares at us, “I’m not allowed to give that information.”

“We’re his teammates, like family we deserve to know.” Brandon says sadly holding a stuffed giraffe and card he bought at the gift shop, excited to give it to Hale.

“Asher?”

I turn around to see Oliver, Hale’s brother standing there holding a cup of coffee. “Oliver how’s Hale?” I asks as he leads us to the waiting room. We all take a seat surrounding Oliver waiting to hear the news on Hale.

“He’s getting a feeding tube, our parents decided it would be for his best since he refuses to eat.” Oliver sighs circling the rim of his coffee lid. “And what ever he does eat, he quickly purges it.” Oliver sighs taking a small sip of his drink.

“When will he be out?” Nick asks softly picking at his jeans.

“Soon, we just have to wait. He’ll be happy to see you guys when he wakes up.” Oliver smiles before slumping down in his eat, still playing with the rim of his cup.

We didn’t wait long until the doctor came to tell us Hale is in his room. Brandon jumps up and rushes to Hale’s room. We follow behind me, just slightly less eager. We step into the room, Hale is lying in the bed he has a tube in his rose and he looks so warn out and tried. Oliver is instantly by his side, reaching over to grab his hand but Hale declines shoving Oliver away with whatever strength he has. Oliver frowns and looks up to me and it’s clear he’s hurt by the small gesture.

“Are you ok?” I ask softly as Oliver heads out the room. I follow behind him as he heads toward the end of the hall. “Oliver.” I whisper standing next to him as he stares out the hospital window.

“He hates me.” Oliver whispers and it’s apparent he’s trying to hold back his cries. “He’s mad because I decided enough is enough, he needs to eat but he won’t.” Oliver stresses. “I called our parents and they told me if I thought it was right, then I should so it so I did. Now Hale says I ruined his life. “

“You’re making his life better.” I whisper. Oliver glances up to and smiles. “He’ll see it soon, you’re saving him.”

“Thanks Asher, you should go see him. I’m sure he’ll be excited to see you.” I nod softly and head back to Hale’s room peeking in to see him cuddling the stuffed giraffe. I frown lightly at how sick he looks, even worse now with the tube. It’s like it’s screaming “I’m sick, look at me!”

“Hi Asher.” Hale greets softly. I smile and stand next to him brushing my fingers through his hair.

“How are you feeling?” I ask.

“Sore.” He shrugs reaching up to touch the tube. “It feels weird.”

“Probably does.” Nick speaks up from the opposite side of Hale’s bedside. “So what happens now?”

“Oliver told me he’s going to send me to a hospital in a few weeks.” Hale frowns picking at the ear of his giraffe. “I can’t go to school anymore.”

“We’ll still be there for you.” Brandon says. “We’ll visit you every chance we get and we’ll always be there.”

Hale smiles lightly and turns to look at me. I smile softly, “I’ll be there as well and so will Oliver.” Hale glares at the thought of his brother and that makes me frown. “Hale Oliver did this for your own good.” I reason hoping he would forgive his brother and move on with it.

“Are you on his side?” Hale hissed.

“There are no sides when it come to your health Hale.” Nick mumbles.

Hale doesn’t respond, instead he huffs and curls into a small ball. I sigh loudly and walk over to him leaning down and kissing his forehead softly. “I’ll visit tomorrow.” I whisper before leaving the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't know how to end it, so I just...ended it...?
lol thoughts on anything? feedback? anything you'd like to see happen?
<3