Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Twenty-Five

March 4th, 2012
Saturday
Greg and Donna’s House, Boston, MA
11:10 P.M.

Greg spent the next day trying to avoid Felicia at all costs. It was awkward at dinner, sitting across from her eating quietly. He had expected her to try and approach him about it again but she kept her distance, watching him. He was sure that Donna didn’t notice the new tense atmosphere until Saturday night. He was sitting in bed watching TV when Donna got in next to him and said

“What’s up with you and Felicia lately?” He jumped at her question.

“What?’ he asked.

“You and Felicia have been really quiet lately, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” said Greg quickly, “Nothing’s wrong, maybe something’s wrong with Felicia.” Donna shrugged and said

“Things have just seemed weird lately.” Greg shook his head like he had no idea what she was walking about.

“Maybe you’re just imagining it,” he said. She shrugged again and Greg decided to quickly change the subject. “My parents are coming tomorrow around 2:00.”

“I’m working from 10:00 to 6:00,” said Donna, “I’ll try to be home in time for dinner.” The two talked awhile longer before going to sleep.

When Greg woke up the next morning Donna had already gone to work. He listened to the TV in the living room indicating that Felicia was awake. They were alone together in the house. He looked at the clock and saw it was already 11:30. Maybe he could just sit in bed until he had to get his parents. He felt his stomach painfully growl in hunger and knew he couldn’t lay there for the next three hours. He got up, showered quickly, and got dressed. He stood just on the inside of his bedroom door, listening to the TV, knowing that just beyond the door Felicia was sitting on the couch. He mentally fought with himself about pushing the door open and going out into the living room. He decided he wouldn’t stay in the house. He grabbed his wallet and pushed open the door. Like he expected, Felicia was sitting on the couch, eating breakfast. He didn’t give her time to say anything. He rushed to the front door, opened it, and quickly went out. Greg decided to get breakfast at a restaurant down the street. It was a warm day and afterward he decided to stay outside and enjoy the weather. He went to a small park and sat on one of the benches. He watched a group of kids play tag as he leaned back and relaxed. It was almost summer but first he had to focus on the playoffs. It would be amazing if they could win the cup again. Donna was the one who had been planning for their summer vacation. Back in December she had been researching places they could go. She hadn’t brought it up in a few months. Maybe Hawaii or even somewhere cool in Africa. His phone’s alarm went off in his pocket, breaking his thoughts. He pulled it out and saw that it was reminding him he needed to pick up his parents in a half hour. He got up and headed back to the house to get his car.

The hours seemed to go extremely slow for Donna. The hour from 5:00 to 6:00 felt more like three hours. Finally when it was 6:00 Donna rushed out the door. Greg’s parents would be there when she got back. His mother liked her but she knew she’d be ignored by Greg’s dad all night. When she got home she walked in to find everyone sitting around the table. There were plates and food set up but no one had started eating. Felicia was sitting next to Greg’s dad, and Greg was sitting at the end of the table, leaving Donna a seat next to his mom. Like she expected, his mother’s face brightened up and she got up out of the chair.

“Donna honey it’s so good to see you!” she said, coming over and pulling her into a hug.

“It’s good to see you too Mrs. Campbell,” said Donna, hugging back.

“We were just waiting for you to get home to eat,” she said. Donna followed her back over to the table and sat down.

“How was work?” asked Greg.

“Good,” said Donna, “Long day though.”

“I think it’s great you work as a nurse,” said Mrs. Campbell.

“It can be rough,” said Donna, “But very rewarding.” Donna looked at Felicia and said

“You’ve already met my sister Felicia?”

“Yes,” said Mrs. Campbell, “She was telling us about how she’s a doctor before you came in.”

“We both ended up in the medical field,” said Felicia happily.

“But you’re a doctor,” said Greg’s dad. Felicia smiled and said

“Yes I didn’t want to be just a nurse,” Donna tried to ignore Felicia’s insulting statement.

“That’s awesome,” said Greg’s dad, “You have a very bright future ahead of you then.”

“Yes,” said Felicia, “That’s why I moved here, I got a better job offer then the one I had in Philly so I took it.” Donna couldn’t stand the way Greg’s dad was looking at Felicia in approval. She should have expected something like this to happen. “Next month hopefully I’ll find my own place here.” Donna put all of her focus on cutting up the chicken on her plate, trying her hardest to ignore what Greg’s dad and Felicia were saying to each other. It was gonna be a long three days.