Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Twenty-Four

March 5th, 2012
Monday
Greg and Donna’s House, Boston, MA
10:50 P.M.

That night Greg could see that Donna was pissed.

“I should have expected your father would have liked her more,” she said.

“Donna please don’t be upset,” said Greg, “I don’t care what he thinks, it doesn’t matter to me at all.”

“I was ok with accepting that he doesn’t like me,” said Donna, “But now he likes her more?”

“It doesn’t matter,” said Greg “Because I like you more.” She sat down onto the bed in defeat, slumping over. Greg sat next to her and pulled her into his arms.

“Please don’t let yourself get upset about this,” said Greg softly.

“I’m trying,” said Donna.

“Nothing matters more to me then you,” said Greg, “Nothing anyone says to me will change how I feel, especially my dad. He’s the LAST person I would listen to in any situation.” Donna laughed and he said “Keep that smile on your face.” Guilt crashed down on Greg like it had before. If she knew what had really gone on she wouldn’t be smiling.

The next day Donna was off and Greg had a game. During the day Greg’s dad went to visit with Claude, and Felicia had work. Donna was thankful that it was just Greg and his mom. It was another warm day and they decided to go to the same park Greg had yesterday.

“Boston is such a lovely city,” said Greg’s mom. “I really hope you don’t get traded Greg, you could start a family here.”

“It is a beautiful city,” said Donna. Both Greg and Donna were avoiding the second half of her statement. Starting a family was not the first thing on either of their minds. Donna wanted to play it smart and wait on children. It seemed the majority of her friends had kids but she didn’t care. She and Greg had plenty of time to think about kids. “What teams would you like to be traded too?”

“None,” said Greg laughing at her question. “I’d prefer to stay in Boston.”

“I mean if you had to get traded what other teams would you like to go too?” asked Donna.

“I don’t know,” said Greg thinking, “Somewhere in Canada.” Donna knew she would follow Greg wherever he went and Canada was definitely a place she wouldn’t mind living in.

“Who are you playing tonight?” asked his mom.

“Ottawa,” said Greg “Should be an easy game. I got you guys some box seats this time. You, dad, Donna, and Felicia will be there.”

“What?” asked Donna surprised.

“I thought it’d be cool if you guys had a room all to yourself,” said Greg.

“That’ll be fun,” said Donna. She wished they had their regular seats. That way Donna could sit next to Greg’s mother and not have to listen to Felicia and Greg’s dad talk.

They ate dinner early that night and Greg had to leave for the game an hour and a half early. Since Greg’s dad went with him it was just Felicia, Greg’s mom, and Donna. Dinner went well enough and Donna was happy to see that Greg’s mom wasn’t giving Felicia the same kind of attention that his dad was.

The three walked to the Garden and met up with Greg’s dad out front. Of course he instantly walked ahead with Felicia. Greg mom and Donna stayed behind. They got inside the room and Donna was happy to find a mini fridge and four seats lined up facing the ice. Donna quickly took a seat next to Greg’s mom, leaving Felicia and Greg’s dad to sit together.

“You should come visit London this summer,” said Greg’s mom, “I’ll show you Greg’s old room.”

“This summer definitely,” said Donna.

“Hopefully with the Stanley cup like last year,” said Greg’s mom.

“That would be amazing,” said Donna. Last year when Greg had won the cup he’d been dating his ex Victoria. Donna had never gotten a chance to see the cup. The game started and Donna turned all her focus onto the ice.

It was clear Boston was going to win from the beginning. By the end of the first period the score was 4-1 with the Bruins winning. Greg’s mom got up to get something to eat and Donna awkwardly sat next to Felicia and Greg’s dad. He was asking her more about her job as a doctor. Donna didn’t expect him to try and talk to her so she drifted off into her own world thinking about the upcoming summer. She had been looking at vacation spots for her and Greg to go to but she wasn’t set on anything yet.

“Donna what do you think?” she heard Greg’s dad say. Surprised to hear him say her name she sat up in surprise. He had barely even spoken a word to her the whole time he had been there.

“What?” she asked, feeling stupid.

“About the new study that says autism is rising in kids.” Donna was still flustered about being spoken to by Greg’s dad and said

“What? I don’t know,” Greg’s dad laughed and Felicia smirked

“Never mind,” he said. Donna felt hurt and insulted as he turned back to Felicia. He was trying to make her feel stupid. Sick of it she slammed her drink down and got up and left the room. She angrily walked towards the escalator, letting a few tears spill from her eyes. How dare he do that to her and for her sister to go along with it made Donna feel even worse.

Greg had season tickets to four seats. Since they were up in the box seats tonight those seats were empty. She made her way down and saw nobody was sitting in them. She sat down and took out her phone and texted Greg’s mom. Not wanting her to think she left she typed ‘Moved down to the seats, come join me if you want.’

A few minutes later Donna saw Greg’s mom walking down to her. She sat down and said

“How come you moved down here?”

“I don’t like the box much,” said Donna, “I like to be out in the open with everyone else.”