Status: Completed :)

Family Values

Chapter Nine

February 19th, 2012
Sunday
TD Garden, Boston, MA
6:50 P.M.

Donna led her sister through the crowded hallways of the Garden. She was going to the usual suite room where all the girlfriends and wives hung out.

“Am I going to meet your friends?” asked Felicia.

“Ya,” said Donna. When she walked in she looked for Raina or Allison in the crowd of women. She spotted her sitting on one of the stools looking out at the ice. She went up and said jokingly

“Hey I didn’t recognize you without a baby on your arm.” Raina smirked at her and said

“Oh shut up,” They always joked about how Raina was the lady carrying two kids around all day long. “This is the first time in months I’ve gotten to go somewhere by myself. I finally gave in and hired a babysitter.”

“Good for you,” said Donna smiling. Raina this is my sister Felicia, she’s staying with me and Greg for a few months until she finds he own place.” Raina smiled and shoke her sister’s hand.

“Welcome to Boston,” said Raina.

“Glad to be here,” said Felicia.

“Is this your first hockey game?” asked Raina.

“No,” said Felicia. “I went to a few Flyer games back in Philadelphia.”

“You’ll love it here,” said Raina. They took the seats next to her and Felicia asked

“Who are they playing?”

“Tampa Bay,” said Raina. “Hopefully it will be an easy win.” Sports tickets were also something Donna’s parents could never afford when they were kids. Never mind buying one ticket, buying five tickets for all of her siblings was out of the question. The only sport they’d ever gone to see was a Red Sox game that her dad had won tickets to in a contest.

The game was exciting from the start. Fights, close calls, and by the middle of the 2nd period the score was 5-4. The Bruins were winning but Tampa was following them closely. Every time the Bruins scored Tampa would also within the minute after. Donna pointed out Greg to Felicia.

“He’s number eleven,” said Donna. Things were getting rough between the players. It wasn’t long before a fight broke out. After being shoved over by one of the Tampa players, she saw Milan get quickly back to his feet and jump on the player in anger. Donna saw Raina cover her face in humiliation, watching what was going on with one eye through he fingers. The referee tried to pull Milan off but it was pointless. Soon enough other Bruins players were flocking in to join the fight. Donna saw Greg holding one of the Tampa players by the jersey. They started throwing punches at each other and the Tampa player slipped and fell down on the ice with Greg on top of him.

“Oh my god,” said Felicia excitedly, “This is crazy!”

It took the refs nearly ten minutes to break everyone up. The end result was four Bruins players all stuffed into the penalty box.

“Greg’s in there!” said Felicia. Raina shoke her head in disapproval as she watched Milan yell angrily in the penalty box with Greg by his side.

“They act like teenage boys,” said Donna.

“Is you’re husband in there?” Felicia asked Raina.

“Yes,” said Raina, “Number 17, he’s always in there. If you’re ever wondering where he is during a game just look in the penalty box because chances are he’s in there.” Donna laughed and said

“Thank god Greg doesn’t fight a lot.”

The Bruins ended up winning 6-5 and the three girls moved with the crowd out of the Garden.

“You’ll have to join us for one of our sleepovers,” said Raina. Donna wanted to shake her head at Raina and let her know it wasn’t a good idea but she didn’t want Felicia to see her.

“Ya!” said Felicia excitedly. “What do you guys do?”

“It’s not very exciting,” said Donna quickly. Raina looked at her and said

“What are you talking about? We’ve had some of our best times at sleepovers.”

“Like what?” asked Felicia.

“Like mattress surfing down the stairs,” said Raina laughing. She turned to Donna. “do you remember that? We’ve gotta try that again.”

Donna sat in the living room at the Lucic’s house alone. She was waiting for Raina to come back downstairs from putting the babies to sleep. They were alone for the next few hours until Milan and Greg got there. They were coming home from an away game tonight and instead of going home alone Greg was going to stay at the Lucic’s house with Donna.

Donna heard Raina coming back down the stairs. Donna stood up when she walked in the room.

“Are they asleep?” asked Donna whispering.

“Ya,” said Raina laughing, “We don’t have to whisper. Those two sleep through anything, thunderstorms, parties, the loud passionate sex me and Milan have when he gets home from games.” Donna gave her a playful shove as she laughed.

“Ew shut up I don’t wanna hear about that.” Raina laughed and said

“Aw come on tell me all the dirty details about you and Greg.” Donna would have blushed deep red if Raina wasn’t just joking around with her. “Does he have a secret foot fetish and you don’t want anyone to know?” said Raina. Donna laughed

“No I’m just not as open with my sex life as you.” Raina had a look of fake insult on her face.

“I am not,” she said. “It’s the guys who talk about it in the locker room not me.” The girls sat on the couch and Donna said

“What do you wanna do?”

“I don’t know what do you wanna do?” said Raina.

“I don’t know,” said Donna again. They were silent for a minute before Raina said

“Are tempurpedic mattresses comfortable?”

“What?” said Donna.

“Milan and I need a new mattress and he wants a tempurpedic one.”

“I don’t know,” said Donna. “What’s wrong with your old one?”

“It’s just really old,” she said. “He’s had it from when he first came to Boston. It’s too stiff.” The girls went upstairs into Raina’s room and Raina jumped on the bed, lying on her back. “It’s like lying on a wooden board.” Donna sat down and said

“It’s not too bad.” They sat quietly again before Raina jumped up and said

“I have an awesome idea!” Donna stood up and said

“What?”

“You’ll see!” said Raina. She started to tear all the blankets and sheets off of the bed. Donna watched her struggle to pull the mattress of the bed. She watched her try to push the mattress off but her feet slid out from underneath her.

“Need some help?” asked Donna.

“Ya you get the other side,” said Raina. The two dragged the mattress off and into the hallway. Raina slid the mattress to the top of the stairs. “Let’s mattress surf!” said Raina excitedly.

“This is dangerous,” said Raina.

“We’ll be careful,” said Raina. “Watch me.” She ran from the back wall and jumped butt down on the mattress. She slid fast down the stairs and hit the bottom still sitting on the mattress. The stairwell led right to the front door which Raina had hit.

Raina dragged it back up the stairs and said “Let’s go!” They both ran and jumped onto the mattress. Donna yelled as they bounced down the stairs fast. When they reached the bottom the mattress capsized and Donna and Raina crawled out from under it laughing. They dragged it up the stairs again.

“I’m gonna stand this time,” said Raina.

“Be really careful,” said Donna.

“I will,” said Raina. She steadied herself on the mattress and pushed forward. Donna heard her screaming as she went down. At the bottom of the stairs the front door opened to Donna’s shock. Raina tumbled off the mattress and through the door, landing outside.

“Are you ok?” yelled Donna, running down the stairs. She saw it was Milan and Greg who had pulled open the door. She heard Raina roaring in laughter, still laying out on the front steps where she’d landed.

“What are you two doing?” asked Greg.

“Mattress surfing,” said Donna laughing. Milan looked at his wife and the mattress at the bottom of the stairs and said

“None of this surprises me.”


The girls walked down to the parking lot and waited for the boys to come out. When they did 20 minutes later Donna was surprised to see Felicia run up to Greg.

“That was an intense fight!” Greg looked surprised also and Donna heard him say

“Thanks,” Milan walked over to them and said

“Donna, who’s the blonde girl?”

“My sister Felicia,” she said. Felicia came prancing back over.

“Great game,” said Donna to Greg. She felt him pull her into a hug and whisper into his ear.

“I wanna go home and spend time with you, just you.”

“We will,” said Donna tightly holding onto his hand. Donna introduced her sister to Milan and they parted ways. As Donna walked slowly back to the car she couldn’t help but think about Felicia running up to Greg telling him how intense his fight had been.
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.