‹ Prequel: Dear John
Sequel: Folds In Your Hands

Dear Liz

I’ll be here when you wake up dear

"Hello?"

"I told Lizzie to come in an hour," I could almost hear the smirk on Jackie's face. "Better get your ass here now, O'Callaghan." And with a beep, she hung up.
I sighed and hurriedly put on my shoes and ran downstairs and outside, to my car. I started the engine and made my way to Jackie's house, gripping the steering wheel nervously all the way.

I speed-walked to Jackie's front door and rang the bell repeatedly. She opened the door rather quickly.

"Chill," she said, letting me in.

"Sorry, I'm just nervous."

"No worries, if you do what I tell you it will all work out," she closed the door and walked in front of me, examining my hair, my face and my clothes. "Where did you park?"

"About a block away," she nodded approvingly.

"That should be far away enough so she doesn't see your car," she said fixing my hair and my plaid shirt. "Alright, let's go over the plan again. You hide outside until she comes and I send you a message when it's time for you to go out of hiding and confess your undying love for Elizabeth," I raised and eyebrow and laughed nervously at the last part as I nodded.

"Alright."

"And be gentle. And humble. And romantic." I nodded. "Alright, lover boy! Go get 'em! Or get her, whatever," she said pushing me towards the door. She opened it and gave me one last push. I took a deep breath and turned around.

"Thanks, Jackie," I said smiling.

"No problemo," she said smiling, as well. I began making my way to her backyard when I heard her yell behind me. "It's going to be alright, John!" Before I had time to even look around she had shut and locked the door.

I had heard a couple of cars pass by, all hoping it would be her but, it wasn't until about ten minutes alter that I finally received Jackie's message. I sighed deeply and rounded the house, to meet Liz's back at the front door.
My heart jumped when I caught sight of her so imagine how I felt when I finally saw her face after too many days.

"Hey, Lizzie."

"Hey…John." She obviously wasn't very pleased I was there. She didn't even seem sure if she should've greeted me and, I could see in her eyes she had figured that it had been planned out.

My mouth began salivating profusely. My tongue was practically in a knot, but i had to talk to her. Explain it to her.

"Listen…I really think we should talk." What was I saying? I remembered Jackie's words. Gentle, humble and romantic. "No. I mean…I really want to talk to you, I want to explain what happened." That was it, that was better. I had to think what I said…I couldn't waste this opportunity to make it right.

"Okay." She didn't sound all that excited about, but I could've cheered of happiness. I contained myself, though.

"Would you like to sit?" I said, motioning to the bench. Her bench. She pursed her lips and nodded as she began walking towards it.
We both sat down. She remained silent, waiting for me to speak. I didn't speak until I was sure of what I was going to say.

"Ashley is a good friend of mine…but that's it," I began. It seemed like a good way to start, so I continued. "The other night, she had just broken up with her boyfriend and she was really drunk. Piss drunk. I wanted to help her."

"Since all the bedrooms were locked and I didn't want anybody to see her like that I was on my way to take her to the bathroom so she could get herself cleaned up and maybe lay down in the bath tub," he closed his eyes for a moment and I knew the tough part was coming. "She wouldn't stop crying, though, and she started having a panic attack.…I didn't know what to do." The worst part came then. I took a short pause to make sure to word it correctly.

"And, out of nowhere, she kissed me. It was…it was the only way I figured I could calm her down."

I turned too look at her then, to find her eyes looking at me. They were beautiful and shining with the daylight. They were better than a room with a view. Better than star-gazing or staring at the clouds. Yet I could still see in them that she was hurt, so I said then all that was left to say; I didn't even need to think about it.

"I'm sorry," I looked down at my hands, then noticing I was fidgeting with them the whole time. There was a nerve-wrecking silence than. What was she going to say? I couldn't have her say–

"No." I turned to look at her, disappointed but, I could tell, she wasn't hurt anymore: she was disappointed on herself. "I'm the one that should be sorry…and I am. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you back then. I'm sorry I didn't reply to your messages or answer your calls or talk to you when you went to my house. It's just…I thought that, well– I'm just really sorry." She sighed and that's when I was sure there was nothing else to say.

It was time to act. No time to think.

I got up and stood in front of her, holding out my hand for Liz to take. After a few second, she hesitatingly placed her hand on my own and I quickly gripped it and lifted her up. Her face was between my hands; my thumbs resting on her cheek bones I stared long into her eyes. The hurt look I placed in her pupils was gone now, hopefully never to comeback, and it was a replaced by a beautiful glow. That glow was my cue.

Softly caressing her silk like skin, I started to get closer and closer to her lips. I could feel their tenderness, her breath against mine. I could almost feel out atoms vibrating against each others.

I waited for her to back away but she didn't waver. She stayed put so I did it, I finally did it. I kissed her on the mouth.

If this had been my reward it had all been worth it. Going through hell for this would have been worth it. It was short and simple but it took my breath away; it really did.
When we stopped kissing she jumped and hugged me tightly and I laughed, out of relief, happiness, accomplishment (maybe love) and I hugged her back, ready to never let go.

"Get a room!" I heard behind me. I turned around with a smirk to see Jackie waving from the second floor of her house. She gave me thumbs up and I returned the gesture, while Liz chose to give her the finger.

I owed Jackie big time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only a short epilogue left!

Seriously considering making a story for Jackie. Y/N?