Status: Active as of right now! We will find time to update soon!:)

New Kid in School

An Uninvited Guest

The next couple days at McKinley High went by with me avoiding in any way possible Santana, Kurt and anyone associated with the glee club. That included Artie, which was hard considering we had Spanish together, and it also seemed that I wasn’t escaping the pressure of trying out, because the teacher teaching the class was the director.

But, most of the time, I swayed Artie out of the subject, and so far it was working.

On the other hand, Jade thought the idea of trying out was a joke. At dinner last night, Sophie brought up the subject of joining. She basically told her mother she wasn’t going to waste her time, because she thought in a few weeks we’d be leaving. Jade thought we’d moving back. Back to the school she ruled with an iron fist and back to that trouble making boyfriend of hers, Jessie the Saint.

It was Saturday night, and I had nowhere to go - basically, this was normal for me.

“Rayne, we’ll be back later,” Sophie said, taking her jacket from off the hat rack by the door, and pulling it on. Dad rushed by with Gavin in his arms. They were on their way to a dinner party.

My dad knows a few people around here because he graduated from McKinley High. That’s where Daniel Kelley met my mother, Evelyn Summers. Many times my dad would tell me when we were alone together that my mother had been his high school sweet heart. He told me she’d been the love of his life before she left without a single explanation one night. I didn’t hate my mother for leaving, but I was confused and frustrated with her choice to leave. One day, I had asked dad about why she didn’t take me with her. Dad simply told me that my mother was in a bad place at the time.

The same day I asked that, he had confessed something huge.

He told me my mother had led the life of drugs- more specifically, she had been addicted to cocaine and prescription pain pills. Dad had been trying painstakingly to get her to go into rehab because it got to the point he couldn’t leave her alone in the house, or she’d go out to more buy cocaine and pills. This had all happened after I was born. I was only three years old at the time-too young understand what was going on.

I had secretly hated my dad for not telling me sooner, but I understood. I was too young to understand back then. I’m just glad he told me before I figured out myself.

I vaguely remember the day she left when I was six. All I remember was waking up and finding my dad sitting on the couch head in his hands crying his eyes out while he repeated in a heartbreaking voice “She’s gone. I can’t believe it.”

After the divorce, my dad had been single for quite some times - seven years to be exact, before he met Sophie Tyler. So, in short, they got married. I got a big sister, who I never really wanted, but began to except even if she was bully.

“Goodbye Rayne, and make sure not to open the door for anyone unless you know them, and make sure Jade doesn’t venture out of the house,” Sophie continued as she grabbed her purse and dad snatched up the car keys from a bowl on the coffee table conveniently placed by the front door. “She knows what is to be expected of her, and I expect her to follow through.”

Fat chance, I thought inwardly. Jade is always getting in trouble and has a thing for not playing by the rules. If it was up to me, she’d be grounded for eternity.

“Be good, Rayne,” Dad said, giving Gavin to Sophie before coming over to the couch where I sat to plant a kiss on my forehead. He smiled and added, “I shouldn’t have to worry. It’s that sister of yours we do.”

“We’ll text if anything changes, okay?” Sophie said as dad put on his jacket. Then, she called up to Jade, who I suspect was in her room. “Jade, we’re leaving, honey! You know the rules while we’re gone!”

“Yes, mother!” she yelled back in agitation.

With one last goodbye, they were gone, and I was left in the house with the her.

“Hey nerd, I’m going to leave now,” Jade said matter-of-factly as her slid way down the railing of the staircase, not thirty minutes after our parents drove off. I turned from the television in the living room to see her, now leaning on the railing on the last step of the staircase smirking knowingly at me.

She knew, I knew that she couldn’t leave, and she knew I’d could do nothing about it, but watch her go.

“Jade, you’re grounded,” I stated standing up, trying to sound courageous, but fail horribly. She laughed and shook her head.

“I know, I know, Sis, but if you keep this between just you and I, mama and daddy will never ever know,” Jade pressed with a mischievous glint in her eyes, her smirk grew wider at my expression. “I’ll be back before they know it, Rayne, and besides, you wouldn’t tell on me would you? Huh? Don’t want to be a tattle tale, do we?” She wagged her index finger.

When I didn’t say anything, she sashayed forward and planting her feet and placing her hands on her hips with a victorious smirk gracing her pink lips. I trembled in pure unadulterated fear.

“That’s what I thought, good move."

Jade proceed to walk past me to the door.

“Where are you going?”

“No place you’ll want to go, Little Sis,” she said while putting on and zipping up her leather jacket. She picked up her car keys to her Dodge Charger, put her hood up, and opened the door.

I sighed. Alone.

I went back to the couch, curled up on the couch, and proceed to watch reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which was my favorite series. Buffy was kickass. Sometimes I wished I could be as courageous as her.

Then, there was a knock at the door; I tore my eyes away from the screen as Buffy staked yet another vampire. I brushed it off. Maybe they had the wrong house. As I was attempting to settle back into the episode, the knocks came again, but more impatiently this time. Turning the volume down, I sat up to go answer the door. Hopefully, it wasn’t a rapist or a serial killer or both.

Opening the door completely, I didn’t have time to register my visitor before he come barreling in. “Rayne, you’ve been avoiding me,” chimed an accusing voice of the uninvited guest, which turned out to be none other than Kurt Hummel. Startled, I slammed the front door closed to come face to face with him. Dread builds up in my chest as well as shame.

Averting my eyes from Kurt’s, I stutter over my words, “I-I’m s-s-sorry, Kurt. I’ve been b-busy.” I glance up to be met by his gaze.

“Busy with what?” Kurt asked, tapping a foot and crossing his arms. One eyebrow rose up making him look even more accusing, which made me want to curl up under a rock and never come out.

“School,” I replied halfheartedly not wanting to meet his eyes again, and then in a more convincing tone of voice, I said, “Why are you here anyway? How did you even find my house, Kurt?”

He waves a hand aloofly, and replied, “Rayne, honey we live like five blocks away from one another, and my dad knows your dad. They went to high school together, and besides, it’s been the talk of the town since your family got here.”

“But, why are you here, though?”

“Well, try-outs are Monday, Rayne. I want to hear you sing and I want you to try out."

“Why?”

“Because, you enjoy singing, of course, and I believe you have more potential than you think, and besides, Rayne you promised.”

“Why is it so important I try out?” I asked, crossing my arms- this again. “I didn’t promise you anything, Kurt.”

“I know, but we need more people, and I really do think you’ll make the cut.”

“Why do you say that, Kurt? I mean, you’ve never heard me sing before.”

“I know, but that’s why I came. Rayne, I want you to sing for me.”

I groaned and stood in defiance.

“Please, Rayne,” Kurt pleaded, putting his hands together like he was praying to the God All Mighty above. “I’ll be out of your hair if you do it for me just once, I promise.”

I softened in defeat at his puppy dog eyes he was giving me.

“Okay, I’ll do it, but don’t expect anything special.”

I lead Kurt to the couch to sit, and then, turned off the T.V. I stood in front of him a bit nervous. I’ve never really song in front of anyone expect my dad and grandparents.

Looking anywhere but at Kurt, I began to sing one of my favorite songs.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter will have her singing the song she sang to Kurt, but it will be at try outs. Sorry, I have been neglecting to update this story. I've just been at a total Writer's Block with this story, but then, I watched some Glee and I got some ideas.

I hope you enjoyed this updated! I try and update again as soon as possible!:D