Status: Completed.

Forget Yesterday

Jack.

“DADDY! DADDY! WAKE UP! IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!”

Shit. Jack snapped his eyes open in panic, sitting upright to see his daughter dancing around his bedroom. Shit. How the fuck could he have forgotten his daughter’s birthday?! Her 6th birthday?! Charlotte was the one that always reminded him, Jack being caught up with work more often than not, and it wasn’t like he didn’t try! Especially with Emma moving in and Charlotte no longer there…

Shit was an understatement.

“Happy birthday sweetheart!” Jack said as cheerfully as possible.

“Where’s my presents?” Emma asked innocently.

Shit!

“Actually, Uncle Vinny is looking after them for me, because I didn’t want you to find them here,” Jack lied smoothly.

“Oh,” Emma said softly.

“We’re going to go out to breakfast and then we’re going to pick them up, okay? Don’t you worry, this is going to be the best birthday ever,” Jack reassured.

Yeah, right. His daughter would be going to therapy for this in her teenage years, he just knew it.

“Is Alex going to be there when we get them?” Emma asked hopefully.

“He sure is!” Jack grinned.

Damn it.

“Yay! Best birthday ever!” Emma squealed.

“Okay munchkin, you go and get dressed and I’ll make sure Uncle Vinny hasn’t opened your presents himself,” Jack said.

Emma just giggled and ran from the room. Jack whimpered and grabbed his phone. The number he dialled surprised him though.

“Morning baby,” Alex yawned.

“I fucked up, Alex. I fucked up majorly,” Jack choked.

“Woah, what’s wrong? What did you do?” Alex asked, worried.

“I forgot Emma’s birthday! I forgot to get her any presents, I forgot to plan anything, I forgot to even get her a freaking card! My own daughter!” Jack whimpered.

“Hey, ssh, it’s okay. You’ve been under a lot of stress lately Jack, it’s understandable,” Alex soothed.

“Not to Emma it isn’t. I already said that we’d pick up her presents from Vinny later after I take her out for breakfast,” Jack whined.

“Shit, you are screwed,” Alex chuckled.

“Lex! This isn’t funny! Emma is going to be destroyed if her birthday sucks!” Jack protested.

“Okay, okay, calm down. Leave it with me,” Alex said firmly.

“What?”

“I said, leave it with me. I’ll sort out her presents, I’ll make a plan to celebrate and I’ll even get a card for you. I’ve planned Zack’s birthday before and he’s just a big kid – how hard can it be? Just calm down and take her out to IHOP – that’ll get her sugared up enough to forget for a little while longer,”

“Y-You’d do all this? For me?”

“Well, technically it’s for Emma, but yeah for you. I love you, remember?” Alex mused.

“I love you too. So much,” Jack choked, tears pricking his eyes slightly.

How the hell had he gotten so lucky to find someone like Alex?

“Hey, no crying alright? Just keep Emma occupied until…12? Yeah, 12. I’ll text you where to go from there,” Alex said.

“Alright, thanks. I owe you so much, Lex,”

“I’m sure you can find a way to make it up to me,” Alex purred.

Jack grinned.

“Well…”

“DADDY! I’M READY!”

Shit.

“I’ve got to go,” Jack groaned.

“Yeah, I heard Emma’s announcement. Just relax, okay? Everything’s going to be fine,” Alex promised.

“I hope so,” Jack murmured.

*

At 12, Jack got a simple text message from Alex, telling him to bring Emma to the local park. By this point, Emma was buzzing with excitement so it didn’t take long to get her into his car and driving away from their house. When Jack parked up, Alex was waiting for them.

“Awex! Why are you here?” Emma gasped.

Charming.

Alex just laughed, smiling one of his brilliant smiles.

“I’m part of your birthday surprise, Emz!” Alex grinned, “Want to find out the rest of it?”

“Yes!” Emma squealed.

Alex winked at Jack, making Jack relax a little more, before they each took one of Emma’s hands, letting Alex lead the way. When they turned the corner, breaking past the trees, Jack gasped. In a little alcove were dozens of balloons and banner and ribbons tied to a semi-circle of trees, a large blanket laid out on the floor and a massive picnic spread out. And Vinny, Rian, Matt and Zack were sitting around the blanket, a pile of presents in the middle of them.

“Happy birthday, Emma,” Alex smiled, placing a sparkling plastic tiara on her head.

“Thank you Awex!” Emma said happily, hugging his leg tightly.

Alex just smiled a little more, and hugged her back.

“Thank you,” Jack mouthed.

Alex just winked. When Emma let him go, she ran over to their group of friends, sitting down in the middle as Vinny explained which present was from who.

“Just so you know, you bought her three Disney Princess dresses and a magic fairy wand,” Alex murmured, sliding his arms around Jack’s waist, bring their chests together.

“You are amazing. Beyond amazing. I don’t know how I’m ever going to thank you enough,” Jack said softly, brushing Alex’s fringe out of his eyes.

“You don’t have to thank me, Jack. I’d do anything for you. Anything,” Alex said simply, shaking his head.

Jack just smiled and pressed his lips firmly to Alex’s, pouring his emotions into their kiss instead. Alex made a soft noise of happiness before kissing him back, making Jack smile. Alex really was perfect.

Then something soft yet sticky hit the side of Jack’s face, making him break the kiss in time to his friend’s laughter. Looking down, he saw a cupcake on the grass. What the hell?!

“Less kissing, more eating,” Emma demanded.

“Oh she’s definitely your kid,” Vinny laughed.

Jack just blushed, blushing even deeper as Alex laughed too and linked their hands together.

“I’ll still be making this up to you later,” Jack murmured in Alex’s ear.

“I’ll hold you to that,” Alex grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww, so sweet!
Alex is adorable, right?
Jack's past is explained a little more in the next chapter :)

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last update! I really appreciate your feedback!

xo