Status: A working progress. I'll update as soon as I write another chapter.

Even Without Wings

Meeting

Guardian Angels like me do not have wings. These come in after you have completed a series of missions, which includes an angel to guide their human or magical person in the right direction. If the angel is to fail, then they are sent back to Heaven for more training. They are not punished, but they are given another opportunity if granted and that takes awhile.

I should know; I am one of the Guardian Angels who have failed.

Now, I won’t go into detail about the circumstances of why I failed. I rather hold the reasons in of why I’m such a big failure and get to the point of what is happening now as I reminisce on the past. I’d rather not dwell on my failures for as long as I can. I already feel bad enough.

“Evangeline, are you paying attention?” I looked up to be met by one of the higher ranking angels, Michael. He’s one of the sergeants for the big guy up in the sky. Yes, God is real, but we angels have never set eyes on him, but we do hear him.

“Sorry, what was that?”

Michael the Archangel sighed, snow white wings twitching in irritation. “Eva, you do this every time we have a meeting. Get your head put on. This isn’t the time to be daydreaming.”

I blush crimson red as the rest of the angels, Guardian and Archangel laughed or glared. I swallowed hard and stammered my apology. Shifting in my chair, Michael nodded and sauntered off to the middle of the cathedral like room.

Gabriel, another Archangel looks over at me from across the room with a grin on his face. Heat spreads across my pale cheeks. I glare at him. He smirks returning his attention to Michael.

He is calling out a list of names, which were to be for the Guardian Angels that were to undergoing missions. I figured I’d be skipped this year, but to my surprise he called out my name; glancing over at me when he did. Michael always thought I was incompetent when it came to missions and he felt that since I failed one mission; I’d fail the rest no matter how many chances I was given.

“Remind you this, guardians that you will have one year time to complete this mission. If you fail you will be coming back for more training.” It seemed that Michael was aiming this at me individually. I sunk back in my chair with a groan. When was he ever going to let it go?

The meeting went on for a few more minutes and then, Michael turned it over to a woman, who handed out the scrolls, which held information on our subjects. I hoped I’d get something easy this time, but when I skimmed over my scroll I knew then that this mission would not be in my favor. I gulped down a lump of spit in my throat and groaned.

“What’d you get, Eva?”

I glanced up to come face to face with Gabriel. The meeting was over and everyone was making their departure. It seemed that Gabriel and I were the only ones left. Michael had gone off as soon as the entry was given. He truly despised lower ranks.

“Well ….I’d rather…. not talk…about it,” I stammered, mouth dried and palms sweating. I wiped the perspiration on my dress pants.

“Why not, is it that bad?” He asked trying to grab the scroll out of my hand. I pulled back just in time. He frowned. “Eva, it can’t be that bad. Come on, now. How long have we known each other? We’re practically best friends.”

It was true.

Gabriel had been there for me through everything and he always defended me. Maybe, he was one of the reasons why I made the cut to do this mission.

I sighed. “Go ahead.” I handed it to him, and put my head in my hands as he read. When he was done he looked over at me concern written all over his face. “Now, you see why it’s so bad?”

He handed the scroll back to me. “Do you want to me go talk to Michael?” I shook my head knowing that it was no use. Michael would laugh in his face. “Why not?”

“Michael will never change it. What’s done is done. I’m just going to have to own up to my fears.” Even if that fear was the reason I failed the first time.

“You don’t have to do this, Eva,” Gabriel persisted, putting a comforting hand on my shoulder as I stood up from my seat, scroll in hand. “Just say the word and I’ll do it. I just don’t want too see my best friend hurt again.”

“No, Gab, it’s no use.” I said, putting up my hand. “Thanks, though.”

I was about to leave. Gabriel didn’t follow, just stood there as if he was frustrated and he was. “Evangeline, I don’t want what happened last time to happen again. What if this time you died, or for Heaven sakes fell in love with the braggart.”

“No, no, Gab, I’ll be fine.” I said trying to sound convincing, but failed miserably.

Gabriel sighed. Seeing I’d never agree to give in.

“Just don’t get hurt, Eva.”

“Or fall madly in love with one of “them.” I said, glancing back at him with a smirk as I walked out of the room. He just shook his head with a chuckle.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed the first chapter!: ) Please comment and subscribe!:D