Like No Other

Chapter 7

Okay, so in the end I wound up holding her hand anyways. I just couldn’t help it. I drove down the streets thinking of her, wondering if she was thinking of me. I almost kicked myself. When had I gotten so soft? If the guys knew what I was thinking they would probably laugh and make fun of me. I don’t know why, but suddenly I just felt like I was twelve years old again, when I had just gotten my first girlfriend. Jane was her name. Of course we only saw each other at school, but at that age, we didn’t care. I remember feeling like I was now, giddy and excited inside. I feel like a CHICK.
I finally reached my apartment. I shook my head, turned the car off, and headed up the flight of stairs. I unlocked the door and went straight to the fridge. I was still hungry considering Travis ate all my food from earlier today. I popped a hot pocket in the microwave and cracked open a can of coke. But Cassie’s face was still in my mind.
I grabbed the remote off the coffee table and turned the TV to Sports Center where they were showing a game between the Lakers and the Celtics. The microwave dinged and I grabbed it out tossing it around like Hot Potato. I was sprawled across my couch when Drake and Marcus called asking me if they could come over. Why not?
They arrived about fifteen minutes later. After a party, they usually came here to sober up before having to report back home. I was the only person that actually went out and got my own place after graduation, but of course everyone else has normal parents. Not me…how lucky was I?
“What’s up bitch?” Marcus said coming in. Drake followed, both had a beer in their hand.
“How did you guys even get over here?” I asked considering neither of them had transportation.
“I convinced my parents to let me borrow their car for the night,” Drake replied.
“You’re drinking and driving?” I asked. Dumbasses…
“It’s only one. Besides, don’t think of it like that.”
“Well how should I think of it then?” Drake could be so reckless sometimes.
He stood and thought for a minute before coming up with, “Multi-tasking.” He grinned his goofy looking grin and went to pop another Hot Pocket in the microwave. Marcus laid on my floor, his attention on the TV.
When Drake came back in the living room with a Hot Pocket in one hand and his beer in the other, it had already went to commercial and both guys looked to me.
“So, Travis told us you were with that girl today on the boardwalk,” Drake said, taking a place next to Marcus on the carpet floor.
“What girl?” I asked playing dumb.
“You know exactly what girl we’re talkin’ about. The one you made googly eyes at all night. The only girl you’ve talked to in a while,” Marcus said.
“Dude, I don’t know man. I just met her, she seems pretty sweet so we hung out. What’s it to ya?” I said, trying to shrug it off. I didn’t want them to know I was majorly crushing on this girl.
“People are sayin’ you hooked up with her last night at the party,” Drake said.
“What? Who?”
“Everyone who was there,” Drake bit into his Hot Pocket. “They said you guys left early, went to the beach and no one saw you for the rest of the night.”
“So I’m guessing you didn’t hook up then?” Marcus wondered.
“No! I wouldn’t just hook up with a girl I just met. And besides, she’s not like that,” I answered.
“You used to do it all the time,” Marcus said pointedly.
“Yeah, used to, things are different now.”
“Why?” Marcus kept questioning. “Everyone agrees that you’ve been acting weird and depressed lately. That’s not you at all. You need to get laid man and relax. Shit, this girl is exactly what you need.”
I sat up balling my fists up at my sides. “Don’t worry about me, I’m a grown ass man and I don’t need people talking about me behind my back and feeling sorry for me. I can take care of myself.”
“Hey, no need to get all pissed off,” Drake said, putting his hands up.
“Yeah, we’re just wondering what’s goin on, you never tell us anything anymore. You just act so different now. You don’t drink, you disappear early at every party, what’s goin on?”
“Why don’t all of you just mind your own damn business?” I didn’t want to act like an ass, but damn, who are they to come in my house and question me like I’m on some damn trial, and then tell me how to live my life? But I did want to tell them everything. I knew I couldn’t.
But Drake and Marcus just looked at each other and shrugged, deciding to let it go. We watched TV for a few more minutes before they decided they were going to take off.
I led them to the door, but before walking out Marcus, trailing behind Drake this time, turned around. “Look, just consider what we said. That girl could be a good thing for you.”
I just nodded, looking down.
“You should invite her to …” we had a show in … and we were staying there for two days.
“Okay, okay,” I said pushing him out the door.
“Just think about it,” Marcus urged.
“I will. Bye, goodnight and be careful.” I closed the door on his face and sighed.
Marcus has always had my back, since we were in 6th grade and out of all my friends, he I were the closest. After graduation though, we were all kind of weird around each other because we still had no idea what we were doing yet and we realized that life could take us our separate ways, especially after Marcus mentioned him wanting to join the Air Force. Let’s just say things were tense and this just added to it all.
I watched the last of the game and turned the TV off. I trudged to my room, taking off my shirt and shorts. I crawled into bed with just my boxers on but found that I couldn’t sleep. Images of Cassie came back into my mind. She looked so hot in that bikini, the sun shining in her eyes and turning them a hazel color, making them sparkle.
I wondered what she was doing now, probably sleeping. I tried to imagine her in her bed. Then I imagined me in it with her, her asleep in my arms. I was almost asleep when my phone rang the ringtone that usually meant that I was getting a message.
11:28PM
The message was from Cassie. Hi. U still up? I texted back a quick reply.
My phone rang again minutes later. Hang out?
Where? I texted back.
Uh, idk. I thought for a second.
My place? Wait, was that too weird? Oh, well already sent. I crossed my fingers.
It felt like forever before she finally texted back. Address?
I sent it to her. On the way. C U in 10.
I jumped up and started cleaning. I threw dirty clothes in the basket around my room and then walked in the living room. I threw away empty Coke cans and pizza boxes. Cups and dishes got thrown in the dishwasher and by the time the place looked a little decent, I heard a slight knock at the door.
I ran over and opened it, letting her in. When she gave me a weird look, I realized a very important fact. I still had my boxers on. I blushed deeply and so did she.
“Uh, excuse me. I’m, uh, I’m…” I stuttered nervously. “Be right back,” I said quickly and practically flew from the room.

I had to admit that seeing Jeremy in his boxers wasn’t exactly what I expected when I walked into his apartment. Not that I’m complaining or anything. But I could tell he was a little embarrassed when he left the room to change. I found a seat on the edge of his couch and began to look over the place.
It was just a tiny apartment with a flat screen on the wall, a coffee table, and the couch that I was sitting on now, pretty simple. Jeremy walked back in, now in some plaid pajama pants and a white tank top. He hopped over the back of the couch and sat on the other side.
“So, what are you doing up so late? Isn’t it way past your bedtime?” he asked me, flashing me a smile.
“Only a little,” I said.
“Why are you still up? Just couldn’t sleep?” he stretched his legs out and propped them up on the coffee table in front of us.
“Yeah, something like that,” I said. I actually was asleep but had a bad dream. I woke up crying and sweating. I really had no idea why I decided to come here I just wanted someone to be with me. I decided to give it shot. I didn’t want to be alone and I just wanted to see Jeremy again honestly. “So what about you? Why are you still up?” I probed.
“Well, I’m a bit of an insomniac I guess, and plus Marcus and Drake came over and kept me up,” he yawned.
“Well do you want me to go? I don’t want to interfere with you sleeping,” I started to get up but he interrupted me.
“No, no! It’s cool. I want you to stay,” he assured me. I smiled at him and sat back down.
I thought for a moment and then blurted out, “Are you going around telling people we hooked up last night?”
“What? No, of course not!” I could tell he was a little hurt that I would accuse him of that. “Actually, I just heard about that tonight when the guys came over.”
“Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you but I just wondered if maybe that was it. But I guess people just talk,” I said shrugging, feeling bad.
“Nah, it’s cool.”
We sat in silence and for the first time it was awkward. I don’t know why, maybe just because the fact that we were in his apartment alone where anything could happen that made us get quiet. Was this a good idea?
“So,” he said clearing his throat, “You doing anything this Tuesday?”
“Absolutely nothing,” I said.
“Well, if you want, the band and I have a gig over in Columbus. It’s two hours away and we’re gonna be staying there for two days. Do you wanna come?”
I thought for a moment. I had come here to Bridgeport to get my mind off everything that had happened to me, to meet new people, and to figure out who I am now. Why not? Why not take a chance? Why not do something I’d never do before? The opportunity was in front of me and I would be stupid not to take it.
I smiled, “I’d love to go!”
His face brightened up. Maybe he really does like me… The thought in my head made me feel excited. Suddenly I wanted to be his. This power came over me and I wanted Jeremy. I wanted him more than anything I’d ever wanted in my entire life.
“Well that’s great. I’m so happy you get to come with us,” he got up and walked over the shelf under his TV. He grabbed a DVD from inside. “Do you like scary movies?”
“I love them, what do ya got?” I asked jumping up and joining him. We looked through his collection together. We settled on Zombie Slayer, a zombie move, Jeremy’s personal favorite. We started the movie but he disappeared into the kitchen and then to his room. A couple minutes later, the smell of popcorn filled the apartment and he came in with a bowl in one hand and his comforter in the other. We jumped under the covers with the bowl of popcorn in between us.
Thirty minutes into the movie, I felt his hand grab mine. I looked over to him, but he had his attention directed towards the movie. “It’s about to get good,” he said simply, not looking away from the TV. He shoved more popcorn in his mouth.
She stifled a giggle and continued to watch the movie. A zombie popped out a couple minutes later, making her squeal and both of them jump. When they jumped, the popcorn went everywhere. They automatically started laughing. Jeremy paused the movie right when the zombie was about to eat the stupid blonde that every scary movie seemed to have. We started picking up the popcorn kernels. I saw some on the floor so I bent down and got on my knees to get them to.
He helped me get the last few up. I looked around making sure the floor was completely clean. I was about to stand back up when I noticed Jeremy was staring at me.
“What?” I asked self-conscious.
He just continued looking at me, staring into my eyes. “You’re so pretty,” he said softly. I smiled and blushed, my heart feeling like it was going to burst out of my chest. “Thanks,” I told him.
He leaned in and before I knew it, I felt his lips on mine. They were soft and gentle. I wrapped my arms around his neck and brushed my fingers through his hair. We kissed for a while but when he pulled away, it felt like too soon.
We laughed and he got up and dumped the popcorn into the trash. I got up, my lips feeling swollen and my heart, still pounding in my chest. He came back in and we finished watching the Zombie Slayer, hand-in-hand. I drifted off towards the end of the movie, my head leaning against him.

**********

When I noticed she had drifted off, I turned the movie on mute, knowing it was about to end anyways and got up gently, trying not to wake her. I carried her into my room and laid her on my bed, tucking her in. Before, heading back to the living room, I kissed her gently on the forehead. Smiling I walked back into the living room, turning the TV off and laid down on my couch, trying to get comfortable. The kiss we had just shared replaying over in my head. I fell asleep peacefully.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jeremy's POV and then Cassie's. And the last paragraph, Jeremy's again.