Like No Other

Chapter 8

The sun shining through the window woke me up. I looked around, not remembering where I was for a minute. Then it all came back to me. Popcorn. Zombies. The kiss. I smiled in spite of myself and looked around to find myself in his bed. I was the only one in here. I got up yawning. I stretched a little and heard my back pop. Then I looked at my phone.
SHIT! 12:05PM Angie had been trying to call me since eight this morning.
I ran into the living room and found Jeremy on the couch asleep, snoring lightly. I hated to wake him because he just looked so cute, but I didn’t want to leave without saying goodbye. I knelt down beside the couch and pushed on his shoulder lightly, but he just mumbled.
“Jeremy,” I said into his ear, pushing him again, a little harder this time.
His eyes fluttered open. When he saw me, he smiled. “Good morning.”
“I have to go,” I said, wishing I could stay here with him all day.
His face fell. I got up and helped him off the couch. I pulled on my TOMS and he led me down the stairs and out to Angie’s mini-cooper. She was going to be so pissed. When we got to my car, he pulled the driver’s side door open for me, but instead of getting inside I turned to face him.
He had a smile on his face again, “I had fun.”
“Me too, last night was amazing.”
He leaned in and kissed me lightly on the lips. “So I’ll see you soon?” he asked, as I got in the car.
“Well, if my sister doesn’t kill me, then yes,” I said, starting the car, already dreading going home.
He closed the door and I waved goodbye as I pulled out of the parking lot. I tried to come up with an excuse, but none came to mind. I absolutely could not tell Angie and Jack that I was at a guy’s apartment, just the two of us. Alone. I searched through my brain and by the time I reached the house, I figured out an explanation as close to the truth as possible.
I walked in, trying to be quiet, but it didn’t matter. Angie stomped in from the living room.
“Where the hell have you been Cassie? Do you know how worried I’ve been? I had no idea where the hell you’d been all night and I was worried sick!” she was PISSED. And she had a right to be. Wait, was she allowed to cuss and say hell?
“Look, I know, I’m so sorry. I’m stupid and I messed up,” I said feeling really bad. “I couldn’t sleep so I went over to Becca’s house. We lost track of time and I fell asleep.”
She sat down at the kitchen table and put her head in her hands. “I was so worried something happened to you.”
“I’m really, really sorry,” I sat in the chair next to her and rubbed her back. “Where’s Jack?”
“He’s still sleeping. We skipped church this morning, he’s really sick. I think he might be getting a stomach virus,” she looked worried.
I tried to apologize again but she just waved me off saying she’d get over it. I shrugged, leaving her at the table and walking upstairs. I changed into my bikini and pulled on some shorts. I walked back downstairs, telling Angie I was going to walk around and maybe go to the beach.
When I got outside, I pulled out my phone and called my mom. I missed her so much.
“Hello?” she answered.
“Mom,” I smiled, “I miss you!”
“Oh, honey I miss you too. How is Bridgeport?”
We talked for a long time. I told her how pretty the beach was and how the weather was blistering hot, far different from Wisconsin. She told me how dad was doing and how everything was going back home. Thirty minutes later, we finally hung up, promising to call each other some other time this week. My mom and I have always had a close relationship, especially after the accident.
I walked along the beach digging my toes in the sand and thinking about Jeremy. So were we “together”? I could still feel his lips against mine. My heart skipped a few beats just thinking about it.

**********

When she drove off I took a deep breath and sighed. I wish she didn’t have to go. I wanted more of her kisses, more time with her, just more her in general. It was like I was addicted or something.
I headed back up to my apartment and straight to my room. I collapsed on my bed, still tired from the long night I’d had with Cassie. But my pillows smelled like her now, which made it almost impossible for me to sleep. I hoped she didn’t get in too much trouble. I really wanted her to go to Columbus with us.
Then I remembered we had practice today. Shit. I sighed and got up, not bothering to make my bed, leaving it a rumpled mess. I headed to the bathroom, took one look at my bedhead, and jumped in the shower. When I got out and dressed, I headed in the kitchen and popped a Hot Pocket in the microwave and called Marcus. After a few rings, I heard a deep voice come over the other line.
“Hello,” he sounded like he had just woken up.
“Up and at ‘em!” I exclaimed into the phone, glad I wasn’t the only one who forgot.
“Why are you calling me so damn early bruh.”
“Early? It’s past noon. And besides, we have practice today.”
He groaned.
“I’ll be at your house in ten minutes so you better be ready,” I warned him.
“Bring tacos,” he said, and then he hung up.
I called Travis and Drake next. They were already up and getting a ride from their mothers. I never understood why they didn’t get a car, considering all three of them had a license.
The microwave beeped and I grabbed my Hot Pocket and left the house. I swung by Taco Bell and ordered some tacos. Then I made my way to Marcus’s house. He emerged from his house in a red shirt that had a big famous sign across it, dark jeans, and some white Jordans. He hopped in the van and grabbed the bag of tacos.
“Morning sunshine,” I said, flashing him a big smile.
“Why are you so damn happy?” he asked, biting into his first taco.
“Oh, no reason,” I said whistling.

**********

Tuesday came around and I was packing my things up in a small black duffel bag. I packed the newest book I was reading and my iPod for the ride there. Two hours in that small van with Travis was called for some type of entertainment. I had told Angie that I was staying with Becca. There was no way she’d let me go otherwise. Angie and Jack were both gone to work when Jeremy picked me up. The mini-van had the trailer attached to the back again. I slid in the front seat, Drake and Marcus in the seats behind us, and Travis all the way in the back like usual.
“Hi,” I said giving a flirty smile to Jeremy and then I turned around and waved at the guys in the back. “Hey boys.”
And this marked the beginning of the longest two hour drive of my life. It consisted of Drake mooning random people on the street, Travis rambling on about hot girls at the beach, Marcus snoring through it all, and Jeremy trying to keep things under control while driving, making comments under his breath and rolling his eyes the whole time. We stole glances and smiles throughout the entire ride.
When we finally got to the hotel I wanted to get out of the car and kiss the ground. But instead, I grabbed my bag and we checked in at the front desk. We made our way to room 120. The room had two beds, a small couch, a desk, a microwave, a bathroom, and a very small closet.
“Okay so bed arrangements…” Jeremy said, laying his bag on the floor. “Well, Cassie gets one of the beds and you three can fight over the other one and the couch. I’ll sleep on the floor.”
“I call couch,” Marcus said, already heading over and setting his bags on top of it.
Drake and Travis looked at each other.
“Rock, Paper, Scissors, SHOOT!” they said at the same time, their hands already raised. But they both picked rock so they tried again. Travis won. He hopped on the bed and started jumping up and down.
“Whatever,” Drake said. He and Marcus had packed a cooler of beer and he went over to it and got one out that was buried deep inside the ice. Then he tossed Marcus and Travis one. He offered me one but I declined. He didn’t bother with Jeremy.
“So, I’m thinking its hot tub time!” Marcus said, pulling out his trunks and smiling real big.
I grabbed my bikini and went into the restroom, feeling a little awkward since I was the only girl. I changed and then waited an extra two minutes, giving the guys some time to change too. When I walked out the bathroom they were all changed and heading out the door, except for Jeremy. He was sitting on the couch, in his swimming trunks, shirtless.
He looked up at me, his eyes going up my body real slow. When he looked at me like that it made my stomach flop. When the door closed, he patted his lap. I went over and sat in it, looking into his deep brown eyes.
“You’re not going to the hot tub?” it was meant as a question but came out as a statement.
He shook his head and pushed a strand of hair that had fallen in my face. “Not yet.”

**********

I leaned in slowly, but anxiously, awaiting the feel of her lips against mine once again. I pulled her closer to me my tongue brushing across her lips. She ran her hands through my hair at the nape of my neck. I grabbed her waist, my hands browsing across her back and sides. As our mouths explored each other’s, so did our hands. I guess I got a little excited and my hand brushed against her chest, she pulled back. I had crossed the line.
“Sorry,” I whispered against her lips, “I’m stopping.”
We pulled back from each other. She smiled shyly and got up from my lap. She took my hand and we got up. “Hot tub time?” I asked her. She nodded laughing softly.
We went through the gym and out to the pool and hot tub. We found Drake and Marcus in the hot tub already with three other girls staying in the hotel that night. Travis was nowhere in sight. I climbed in the pool expecting Cassie to come in beside me but she sat on the edge, her legs on either side of me. She started rubbing my back, massaging my neck.
“Where’s Travis?” I asked, looking around again to see if I’d missed him.
“He went to get food I think,” Drake said shrugging his shoulders.
“Jeremy and Cassie, this is Tara, Sandy, and Kimberly,” Marcus introduced us to the three girls.
“Hi,” I waved to them.
Cassie just stayed quiet behind me. I turned around so I could face her.
“What’s wrong?” I asked her.
She shook her head, “Nothing. I’m just thinking.”
“About?” I asked.
But she didn’t get to answer because then Travis entered. He was carrying a big platter of food. He laid it beside the hot tub and jumped in, putting his arm around Kimberly. She automatically looked uncomfortable and tried to pull out from under his arm. I sighed.
“So, you ladies coming to the show tomorrow right?” Marcus asked.
“Why of course!” the blonde one (Tara said?). She winked at Marcus.
“We wouldn’t miss it!” Sandy said, winking flirtatiously. It seemed as if she and Drake coupled up.
“Ya know ladies, we have beer up in the room if you would like to come up and join us and—“
“Whoa, whoa, whoa, no way. I actually WANT to get some sleep tonight, so you can take it back to their room,” I interrupted Drake. I didn’t add this but I also didn’t want all of them drunk running around in the hotel room. Whatever damage they cause I will have to pay out my ass for.
“I’m okay with that,” Sandy said, her hands cruising over Drake’s stomach.
They all jumped out of the hot tub, dried off, and then went inside, leaving us all alone. It was completely quiet. It was then I noticed the quiet jazzy music playing from somewhere above. I jumped out and grabbed the beach towel off the chaise beside the pool. Cassie stayed on the edge of the hot tub.
I dried off and cleared my throat. Cassie turned around, looking at me over her shoulder. I held my arms out to her. She got up, walking towards me.
“May I have this dance?” I held my hand out toward her.
She hesitated but took my hand. I pulled her closer to me. “Just to warn you,” I told her in her ear. “I can’t dance at all.”
She laughed. “You’re doing a pretty good job right now.”
“Don’t jinx it.”
We danced and kissed and talked and laughed all night. At around midnight we went back up to the room. Travis was a crumpled heap in the bed, guess it didn’t go well with Kimberly. Cassie changed into her pajamas in the bathroom while I fixed the couch up for me to sleep in, since it didn’t seem like the other guys were coming back anytime tonight. I just hoped they didn’t get into any trouble.
Cassie came out of the bathroom and I went in, changing and then brushing my teeth. When I came out, she was sitting under the covers, watching me. I walked over and pecked her on the lips. I pulled away, about to go to the couch when her voice interrupted me.
“You know, you can sleep with me,” she paused and corrected herself, “Wait that sounded wrong. Um, I meant you can sleep in the same bed with me. I don’t mind.” She moved over and gave room for me to climb in with her.
I hesitated but crawled in beside her, pulling the covers over me. I clicked off the light on the nightstand in between the two beds and turned over, facing Cassie.
“Goodnight Cassie,” I whispered.
“Goodnight Jeremy,” she whispered back.

I was awoken by Cassie’s scream. I popped my eyes open, looking around for an intruder of some sort or something that would be the cause of her distress. All I saw was her shivering beside me, tears flooding her eyes.
“Cassie,” I reached out and held her. “What’s wrong, Cassie?”
“Bad dream,” she said sobbing. She grabbed on to me, crying into my shoulder.
I didn’t ask her what the dream was about, not wanting to upset her more. I just rocked her in my arms until her sobs turned to whimpers and sniffles. “Are you okay?” I asked her, pushing her bangs out of her sweaty and tear-soaked face. She nodded slightly.
I pulled her back me, and she buried her face into my neck, slowly falling back to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
So if you haven't noticed yet, the ****s mean that I'm changing POV and I'll be doing that a lot. If this is confusing or you have a question let me know.