Divine Chaos

10

Since Hayden and I split I found myself with a lot of free time on my hands. My mom suggested getting a job, which wouldn’t be such a bad idea. So I searched around and applied at a few places. I hadn’t gotten a call back yet. Then one night Steve suggested an idea during dinner.

“Hey, Oliver, you should look into the restaurants you deliver to and see if they are looking for help. Oliver delivers food to local restaurants around the city.” Steve explained to me and my mom.
“Macy just quit at Kenny’s Angels. It’s a cheesy restaurant, but I know that they pay well and you’d get good tips.” Oliver offered.
I shrugged my shoulders, “I’ll take anything.”
“I’ll check tomorrow,” Oliver said.

Three days later, I started my new job at Kenny’s Angels. Oliver was right. It was pretty cheesy. We even had to wear angel wings with our “white blouse, black skirt, and knee-high socks with black flats” uniform. I actually laughed in my new bosses face despite of myself. Luckily, Kenny was kind of oblivious.

“Any questions?” he asked after directing me around and showing me the ropes.
“No, I don’t think so,” I replied looking around at the place, trying to remember all the things he taught me.
“Well,” he handed me a floor plan with some of the tables highlighted. “These are you’re tables. Get started.”

When I got home that night, I felt exhausted. My feet were burning and my calves were sore. I walked in; Oliver sprawled out on the couch watching Star Wars.
“Nice wings,” he stated.
I looked down, not even realizing I still had them on. I sighed. “Like my uniform?” I turned around, modeling for him.
Oliver looked me up and down, making me feel uncomfortable. I shrugged my wings off and went to my room. I slipped out of my uniform and into purple Sofee shorts and a t-shirt. I kept the long socks on, feeling too lazy to peel them off.

I walked back into the living room. “Feel better?” Oliver asked.
“Much,” I responded walking into the kitchen and grabbing a Noni Berry flavored Snapple.
My mom and Steve came into the kitchen as I was leaving. “Hey sweetie,” my mom greeted me. “How was the first day at work?”
“Eh, it was okay,” I sat down in the floor in front of the couch.
“You’d tell me if that new boss of yours tries anything with you, right?” my mom peeped her head in the entryway of the living room, a worried look on her face.
“Mom!” I said, giving Oliver a look, but he was trying not to laugh.
“What? I don’t like how short those skirts are,” she said disappearing back into the kitchen.
Oliver was still laughing. I hit him. “No, mom, it’s okay.” I assured her.
“Sorry, you know, I just worry,” she said.
“Yeah, I know,” I said rolling my eyes.

Three days later, it was Friday and I was stuck at work. I was coming in from break when I saw Oliver in the back. I ran up and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around, smiling when he saw me. He had a clipboard and was checking stocks.

“Hey loser,” he said.
“What cha doin’?” I asked him.
“Working isn’t that what you should be doing?” he nudged me.
“Oh, yeah! So, that’s why I’m wearing this ridiculous outfit!” I said mockingly.
“I think it’s hot,” he said, looking me up and down.
I played along, “Oh really now?”

We flirted like this for the rest of the week. And then suddenly we were spending our breaks in the deep freeze making out. I didn’t know where this all came from. There was just so much sexual tension between us. We never brought that home. We couldn’t risk our parents finding out. We both agreed to keep it professional, a “no-strings-attached” kind of relationship. No one could find out about it, especially since he began going to the same school as me.

Our parents wedding was right around the corner and the closer it got to the wedding, the closer we got to going all the way. I don’t know what had come over me. It was like all of a sudden, since I left Hayden, I was becoming a new person. Val was enjoying all the juicy details of our secret relationship.

“Ya know, it’s kind of romantic in a way,” she said one day when she was spending the night with me. “I mean if you look at it from the forbidden love aspect.”
“Well too bad the relationship isn’t a romance. It’s a ‘friends-with-benefits’ type relationship and that’s how it’s going to stay.”
“And what kind of benefits are we talking about?” she asked, sitting up at the news.
“Well, we haven’t gone all the way…” I gave her a devilish grin. “Yet.”
She squealed. “Ooh! You are so bad. I can just picture it now. You too going at it with you in that skimpy little angel uniform.”
I threw my pillow at her and told her to get her head out of the gutter.

But lately, Oliver had been a bit more aggressive with me. We were kissing one day and Oliver insisted on putting his hands up my shirt. And he kept biting my lip, not in a bad way, but in a I-want-you-so-bad kind of way. I didn’t know whether I should be turned on or scared, so I settled for both.

“Oliver, slow down,” I told him when he tried to put his hand up my shirt again. “C’mon, we gotta go clean up.” I pulled him through the kitchen and into the restaurant area. I was in charge of closing up tonight which meant I had to sweep and mop. I had already swept the place out when Oliver showed up and we went to the back.

I started mopping but was interrupted by music. I looked over and saw that Oliver had plugged in his iPhone. He smiled at me. “You wanna dance?”
“I can’t dance,” I lied.
“Oh, c’mon! Neither can I,” he walked towards me and took my hand. He twirled me around. I looked down, blushing. “You’re cute when you blush.”
And of course that just made me blush more. The rest of the night was spent bopping through the tables, twirling and swaying.

When I finally stepped out into the rainy night I looked over at Oliver, standing next to me and he smiled. I smiled back, not knowing why we were smiling or what came over us when we were dancing in there. But just being glad it happened.