Status: Comment<3

Little Bit of Truth

The Family

Eliza awoke the next morning with her head buried in the crook of Noah’s neck. She took in his scent and snuggled into him even more. He smelled of musk and mint, an odd combination, but pleasing nonetheless. Noah was giving off warmth and the open window from the previous night had created a chilling air within the room so Eliza sought what Noah had to give. He responded to her coming closer by wrapping his arm tightly around her and making their two bodies one.

Eliza closed her eyes once again and wished she did not have to leave the bed. Her mother was waiting downstairs and that alone was enough to make Eliza want to stay in bed. She wanted to spite her mother in every manner possible. However, Marianne had orders she had to obey because at seven sharp, there was a rapping at the door to Eliza and Noah’s bedroom. Twenty four hours ago, Noah and Eliza had been at Heathrow and now they were curled in bed in Maine.

“Who is it?” Eliza managed to struggle out.

“It is Marianne. Your mother wishes to see you at breakfast in a half hour. Please be on time.” Marianne said before leaving to attend to her other daily duties.

“Come on, Lie. It’s time to go to your mother and see how much she truly dislikes me.”

“I don’t wanna be fed to the dogs.” Eliza said whining like a little child.

“It won’t be too bad. Besides, you get to act like you’re dating me. That should be enough to brighten anyone’s day.”

“I’m dating you? Now I definitely don’t want to leave this bed.”

Noah got out of bed and pulled the covers off of Eliza. “Oh the cold, the agony!” Eliza exclaimed dramatically.

“Go take a shower, I’ll wait for you.”

“Fine.” Eliza said with a groan.

After a quick shower, Eliza wrapped a towel around herself and dried her hair. Make-up was not necessary because that would show she cared for her mother’s stupid breakfast. After looking around the bathroom, she knew she had not brought any clothes into the bathroom. Eliza opened the bathroom door a crack to say

“Noah, pass me my clothes. I didn’t bring them in.”

“Sure thing, sweetheart.” He said and Eliza could clearly visualize the smirk on his face.

Noah handed Eliza a green dress that she did not remember packing. Before she could ask a question, Noah said

“Marianne dropped it off. She said your mother wishes to see you dressed in this.” Noah said mimicking Marianne’s proper speech.

She did not want to wear the dress because it would mean she was winning but the dress was green, Eliza’s favorite color and it was such a pretty dress. The fashionista in Eliza took over and she quickly put on the dress.

“Someone looks pretty.” Noah said when Eliza walked out of the bathroom. “Are you doing all this for Mommy dearest?” Noah asked.

Eliza merely scowled at him and told him to take a shower hoping the water was cold. Noah came out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist, hanging dangerously low, and Eliza had to look the other way, hoping her blush didn’t show. However, this was reality and this was Noah she was dealing with. So, Noah turned around and saw Eliza’s head bent and went to her.

“Is that a blush gracing your face?” He asked leaning dangerously close to Eliza.

“Oh come off it, I’m not blushing. However, I would appreciate it if you would put on some clothes.”

“Does my nakedness bother you?”

“You’re not naked and no it does not bother me.”

“Really? Is that why you’re looking the other way? It’s fine, I’m so attractive that I understand.” Without a word, Noah moved away to take some clothes and dressed himself.

This was becoming too much for Eliza. There was this tension that danced between Noah and Eliza. She refused to admit that it was a tension of the sexual nature and continued to wonder what else it could be. How could they go from being at one another’s throats to being friends to being makeshift lovers? How did they get here?

“Let’s go, Lie.” Noah said and Eliza looked up to see him dressed in a grey t-shirt that showed a sliver of his tattoo and black jeans. He was so attractive and so Noah-like that Eliza could not help the emotions that were taking shape in her.

“I will warn you. My mother will ask you things that you probably didn’t think were able to be questioned. Just nod your head and go along with her. I don’t want her hating you when I’m the one she has a problem with.”

“Don’t worry, doll. Parents never like me when they first meet me. It only takes a five minute conversation to change their mind.”

“I doubt it’ll work with my mother.” Eliza said wearily.

The pair walked down the stairs and right before they walking into the dining hall, Noah reached out and took Eliza’s hand into his.

“Good morning, Mrs. Barnes.” Noah said when he saw my mother seated at the table. My father sat at the head of the table and Stephen and Amber sat opposite Mother.

“Steve!” She exclaimed before running over and giving him a tight hug. Eliza had missed Stephen a great deal and seeing him only made it that much more obvious.

“You’re still quite short, Lizzie.” Stephen said before giving Eliza’s head an affectionate ruffle. Stephen and Lillian looked exactly the same. They both had bright blue eyes and blonde hair. They even had the same nose. If Stephen and Lillian looked like one another, Eliza took after her father. They shared the honey colored eyes and dark hair.

Michael Barnes looked up from his plate at Eliza and smiled. He had not seen her in so long her forgot how her very presence made him smile. She had always been his little girl. He rose from his chair and everything became quiet. Michael made his way to Eliza and in front of everyone, wrapped her into a hug.

Michael had steered clear of Eliza for two years after a terrible fight the night of her graduation. Lillian had said a few rather unkind things and when Eliza looked to Michael for support he remained quiet. Eliza felt betrayed but her manner of dealing with the betrayal was not the smartest. She had moved the next day and over time, a rift was created between Michael and Eliza that Lillian only widened. However, seeing one another brought back emotions from before that fight. Eliza was his daughter and he loved her.

Lillian cleared her throat and said “Shall we proceed with breakfast?”

Everyone wordlessly moved to their seats and began to serve themselves. While passing the orange juice to Michael, Lillian asked

“Noah, how long have you known Eliza?”

“I met her a week after she moved to London. She bumped into me and ruined my mother’s birthday cake. She brought a new one to my house and we’ve known each other since.”

“I did not bump into you. You were not watching where you were going.”

“Of course, dear. I’m at fault.” He said placing a kiss at her temple.

“Already bending over for Eliza? You’re a smart man.” Stephen said.

“What else can I do? You know your sister. She's a tad crazy.” Noah said with his hands up in surrender which made everyone laugh.

“Do you have any family?” Lillian asked continuing with her interrogation, ignoring Stephen’s joke and Noah’s response.

“I have a twin brother Luke, he’s in med school and a younger sister studying film. My mother and father live in London too. My father was the one who met Eliza first. He dropped her on her first day in London. He drives a cab.”

“He drives a cab?” Lillian repeated with a condescending tone.

“Yes, he owns a taxi company and drives sometimes when he’s bored.” Noah answered. Lillian’s face seemed to lose some of its disgust.

“What do you do? Are you in school too?”

“I studied media and now I’m a musician. I’m in a band.”

Any respect Lillian might have had for Noah was gone when those words left his mouth. “A band.” She said with clear distaste.

“Yes. We’re doing quite well though. We headlined the Brixton Academy two months ago.”

“I see.” Lillian said leaving it at that.

“A band? That’s quite cool.” Stephen said. “I always wanted to be in a band. Mother never approved.”

“I still don’t.” Lillian said shooting Noah a look. “How long have you and Eliza been together?”

“Almost two months.” Eliza said.

“I see.”

“Treat my daughter well, Noah. You seem good enough. You hurt her and I’ll make sure it’s the last thing you do.” Michael said with a playful tone but the warning was there. At least someone seemed to like him, Noah thought.

Eliza could not help the smile that came onto her face. Not only did her mother dislike Noah, her brother and father liked him. Maybe this wedding would not be completely bad. She reached over to Noah’s hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eliza's outfit
It's longer! Yay! Comment and tell me what you think. Subscribe and make me smile.
The World Or Nothing check this story OUT!
I've spent the weekend rereading the entire Hunger Games series. Weekend was spent well. If anyone hasn't read it, do so right away!
Marie