Sequel: 'Cause I've Got You
Status: completed!!! sequel on the way...

Walk in the Sun

Chapter 22

It was the last day of exams before we had our winter break. Kaitlyn and I each had one exam. I felt really good going into the exam, but worried as hell when I walked out. I met up with Kaitlyn outside the school. We drove home, talking about Christmas and what we should get the boys.

“I already have Kris’ gift.”

My jaw dropped when I turned to look at her. “How the hell do you have it already? Where the hell did you get it?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “I just found it the other day, no big deal.”

“It is a big deal. I need your help finding Sid something. What do you get hockey’s Boy Wonder who has everything he could possibly need?”

She laughed and let out a small sigh. “Not sure, you’re gonna have to think really hard on that one.”

I leaned back in the chair, trying to think of ideas as to what I could possibly get him. Nothing was coming to mind. I was thinking I’d have to resort to the old=fashioned way, and call him, to give me ideas.

Kaitlyn dropped me off at home, with the promise that we’d go shopping the next day, to try and find something for Sid. I smiled and walked into my house. I waved at my mom, who was putting the finishing touches on the Christmas tree.

“You still have to put up your ornament for this year, you know.”

I smiled, dropped my book bag and walked over to the box she pointed to on the table. I picked it up and couldn’t help but chuckle. It was a little hockey player. I took it out of the box and tried to find the perfect place to hang it on the tree. Once I found it, I stepped back and admired my “lovely work.” My mom stepped down from the step-ladder, finishing putting the star on top of the tree.

“Oh, I should tell you, mail came for you today. I put in on your bed.”

I raised my eyebrow at her. Before she could say anymore about it, I walked out of the living room, picked up my book bag and ran up to my room. I slammed my door shut behind me and jumped to my bed. I picked up the lone envelope. There was no return address, but my heart fluttered at the thought of it being something from Sid. I saw that the envelope had already been opened. Thanks for giving me my privacy, Mom. Fully opening the envelope, I saw that a little note and another envelope. Opening the little note, I read it with a smile on my face.

Thank you. You’ve helped me more than you know.
See you soon. (Yes, Kaitlyn’s coming too.)
Kris.


When I finished the note, I was a little confused and yet excited to open the other envelope. When I opened it, I couldn’t hold in my excitement. I screamed with joy. My mom must have heard me, because she came barreling into my room.

“What is it, honey?”

I smiled and showed her the ticket. “Like you didn’t know. It’s a plane ticket. To Pittsburgh.” I saw the smile on her face. I raised an eyebrow. “You know something, don’t you?”

She shook her head. “I don’t know anything, other than how happy Pittsburgh, or should I say a certain boy in Pittsburgh makes you.”

I gave her a wide smile. “He does make me happy, mom.” I looked at the ticket, and then looked up at her with a shred of guilt in my face. “Oh mom, what about our family Christmas? I can’t go. I can’t miss it.”

My mom shook her head. “You’re going. Don’t worry about us, we’ll be fine. We’ll have Christmas tomorrow before you leave.”

I nodded, but still felt a little guilty. I looked over the ticket again. And looked at the date. My eyes widened. I’m leaving tomorrow Knowing that Kaitlyn will probably get a surprise just like I did, she would call me. So, I decided to start packing. I wanted to call Sid, but I didn’t know if it was a surprise for him too, so I decided against it, knowing I would say something about going down there. I went into my closet to grab my suitcase, only to find that it wasn’t there. I opened my door and yelled out to my mom.

“Mom! Have you seen my suitcase?”

She came out of her room, holding my suitcase with a smile. She handed it to me, and I could barely carry it. I looked up at her with a confused face.

“You packed it?”

She nodded. “I know you’re leaving tomorrow, sorry for lying to you about our Christmas, but it’s okay. I’m going to have to get used to not having you around all the time. You’re going off to college next year. This is just preparing me for that.”

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I pulled her in for a tight hug. “Oh, Mom,” I felt a few tears fall, “I’m not leaving you for good. I’ll be back before school starts up again.”

She pulled away and nodded. “I know. Now, finish packing up your small things. All I packed was your clothes.”

I smiled at her and walked back in my room and placed my suitcase on my bed. I walked over to my dresser, trying to find small things I could pack when my phone went off. I looked at the caller ID, and couldn’t wait to answer the call.

“You know, you are the best best friend’s boyfriend ever. Did I ever tell you that?”

I heard him chuckle. “I take it you received the envelope.”

I turned away from my dresser and picked the ticket up off of my bed once again, admiring it.

“Yes, yes I did. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Does Sid know about this?”

I didn’t hear him say anything. I heard nothing but silence. I didn’t know what to think. Did he know? Does he not want me there? “Kris? You still there?”

He cleared his throat. “Uhh..yeah, I’m still here. No, he doesn’t know. If he knew, don’t you think he’d tell you himself?”

I shrugged my shouders. “Yeah, I guess you’re right,” my excitement creeping up again. “Oh, I’m so excited for this. Wait, what about Kaitlyn?”

“She’s got an envelope coming her way, too. Not sure when she’ll open it. Hopefully tonight, though.”

“Yeah, well I got to get back to last minute packing. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

We shared goodbyes and hung up. I had walked back over to my dresser and continued last minute packing, praying that Kaitlyn would phone me soon so we could share our excitement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sid’s POV

I sat with Kris while he phoned Steph. I smiled, hearing her excitement. Halfway through the conversation, Kris turned to me. He didn’t say anything, but he gave me a look. I gave a look that said ‘what the hell?’ He took a pen and wrote on a piece of paper. He held the paper up to me, showing a note asking if I wanted to let Steph know that I knew about her coming to Pittsburgh. I violently shook my head no. I wanted to surprise her with her family, and the invitation to the team dinner. Kris finished up the phone call and looked at me.

“Why didn’t you want me to tell her you knew she was coming?”

I pulled the dinner invitation out of my pocket. “I want to give her this in person.”

Kris’ eyes went wide. “Whoops.”

My eyebrow cocked. “What’s the ‘whoops’ for?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “I may or may not have given Kaitlyn the invitation in the envelope I mailed her.”

I let out a long, drawn out sigh. “Seriously, Kris?”

He raised his hands in defeat. “I’m not sure. I can’t find it anywhere.”

I stood up and began to look through the small stack of papers on his coffee table. Kris stared at me for a few seconds before getting up from his seat to help me look for it. He ventured into the kitchen, knowing he had a small stack of papers in a basket on the countertop. I hoped we would find it. If Kaitlyn got the invitation and Steph didn’t, I would feel so awful. I was hoping to giving her the invitation as a surprise. And since the tickets were technically sent from Kris, I didn’t like the idea of having an invitation to a team Christmas party from me being in the same envelope would have the same affect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steph’s POV…

The next morning I was a nervous wreck. I was running around my room, trying to see if I had forgotten to pack anything. I had began to frantically rummaging through my drawers, throwing my clothes around everywhere.

“So, are we going to Pittsburgh, or are going to stay here and built a fort with your clothes?”

I turned around to see Kaitlyn with a shirt that I had tossed, draped on top of her head. I flopped my arms to my sides.

“We’re going to Pittsburgh.” I looked around. “Have you seen my..?”

“You have everything you need, trust me. We went over the list you made in a panic last night. I even had to add things for you, which, by the way, you did put in your bag.”

I rolled my eyes, then smiled at her. I plunked down on my bed, sinking into a small pile of clothes, sighing. “Where would I be without you?”

Kaitlyn laughed. “Completely lost, that’s for damn sure. Now get up and let’s go.”

Together, we put my clothes lazily back into my drawers and then walked downstairs. Kaitlyn put my bags by the door while I walked over to my mom. She stood in the kitchen and turned towards me with a huge grin on her face, but tears in her eyes.

“Mom, what’s wrong? I can stay if you don’t want me to leave.”

She shook her head. “Oh no, sweetie, it’s okay. I’m just finally realizing how grown-up you’re getting. Go, please. You need to be with Sid.”

A huge grin spread across my face. I didn’t know my relationship with Sid made my mom feel like this. I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her in for a tight hug. Pulling away, I still had the huge grin on my face, but tears began to form in my eyes.

“Christmas won’t be the same without you.”

She shook her head violently, and turned my around, pushing me towards the front door. “You’ll be fine. You’ll have Kaitlyn, and more importantly, Sidney.” She turned me around to face her. “Just remember to come back home.”

I gave her one last smile, picked up my bags and followed Kaitlyn out the door. There was an airport taxi waiting outside my house. Just as the driver was putting our luggage in the backseat, Kaitlyn and I smiled at each other.

“To Pittsburgh?” she asked me. I smiled, wrapped an arm around her shoulder, pushing her closer to the vehicle.

“To Pittsburgh.”
♠ ♠ ♠
En route to Pittsburgh for Christmas. Some questions left unanswered, but all is coming in the next chapter or two, depending on how long Christmas in Pittsburgh would like to be written. Haha.

Thank you to all of those who have commented so far, you guys are awesome. Make me want to continue writing this story, and every story I have going.

Hope you enjoyed.

steph <3