Sequel: 'Cause I've Got You
Status: completed!!! sequel on the way...

Walk in the Sun

Chapter 23

After the airport, Sid and I separated from Kris and Kaitlyn, telling them we’d see them a little later. Sid and I arrived at his place and I was totally exhausted. I walked through the front door and made my way right to the couch to lay down. I could hear Sid chuckling as he passed the couch, placing my luggage on the floor. I closed my eyes, but I could hear his footsteps. I thought he was coming closer to me, but I began to hear the footsteps get further away. Feeling a slight chill flow through the room, I yelled out.

“Sid! Can you grab me a blanket?” I heard his footsteps coming closer and shortly, he was standing right beside the couch looking down at me. He didn’t have a blanket, but he held his hand out to me. I raised my eyebrow at him. “You don’t have a blanket.” I whispered. He shook his head.

“Come with me.” He said just above a whisper. I didn’t really want to move, but the look in his eyes told me it would be worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sid’s POV

I brought Steph back to my house. I had chuckled as she immediately made her way to the couch and layed down. I placed her luggage on the floor and walked upstairs to set up the frist of many surprises I had in store for Steph while she was here for Christmas. I heard her yell to ask me for a blanket. I smirked as I walked back downstairs and held my hand out to her. I whispered for her to come with me and led her upstairs. She was really tired, so I tried to pull off the first surprise as quickly as possible.

I opened the door to my bedroom and ushered Steph in. Leading her to the bed, I smiled as I looked down at the little envelope I had placed beside a bouquet of roses. She looked over at me with a small smile.

“What is all this?” I shrugged my shoulders.

“I just wanted to do something nice for you, is that so bad?” I wrapped arm around her waist and placed a soft kiss on the back of her neck. She lifted the envelope and opened it. I looked over her shoulder as she read it. When she was finished reading it, she turned around, facing me with a huge grin on her face. She wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me in for a slow, long kiss. Pulling away, I placed my forehead against hers and smiled.

“So, does that mean you’ll go with me?” She nodded.

“Of course, I will. Who else would I go with?” She turned back towards the bed and picked up the bouquet of roses and brought them up to her nose, taking in the smell.

“I know roses aren’t your favourite, but I bought them last minute. Sorry.”

She placed them back on the bed and looked over her shoulder at me with a smile.

“It’s okay, I love them.” I walked over and took them out of her hand and placed them in the vase I had already brought up from the kitchen. I put the vase on top of one of my dressers and turned back to Steph. I was going to talk about her flight and how she was feeling leaving her mom behind, but seeing her cuddled under the covers, sleeping peacefully, I guessed the conversation would have to wait until she woke up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steph’s POV…

I woke up, feeling refreshed. I rolled over and saw Sid laying beside me with a smile on his face.

“Rise and shine, sleepyhead.” I smiled and snuggled into him.

“Do I have to get up?” I whined, not wanting to leave his warm bed. I felt his chuckle through his chest.

“Well, I would love to say no, but we have dinner plans.” I looked up at him with a slight pout.

“Can we reschedule? I just wanna lay in bed all day.” I felt Sid wrap his arms around my waist and pull me up into a sitting position.

“Again, I’d love to say we could, but I don’t really like saying no to Mario.” My eyes widened.

“We’re going to Mario’s?” He nodded. “Okay, I’m up. I have to get ready. What time are we leaving?” I hopped out of bed and began to look for my luggage. Sid got off the bed and began to laugh at me once again. He walked over to me and pulled my hands into his. When my eyes met his, he gave me a small smirk.

“Your luggage is over there in the corner of the room, but your clothes are already in the top two drawers of the dresser behind me. Please, don’t think you have to dress up too much. We’re only going to their house, nowhere special. You can wear whatever you want, but please, don’t make a big deal out of this. Jeans and a t-shirt will be just fine.” I couldn’t hide my smile, he knew exactly what was going through my head. I took my hands out of his and walked over to his dresser. I turned my head back and smirked at him.

“How do you do that?” He turned around and raised an eyebrow at me.

“Do what?”

“Always know what to say. I’m freaking out on the inside, and you come around and tell me exactly what I need to hear to calm down.”

He smiled at shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. I’m just doing my part of being a good boyfriend, that’s all. Now, hurry up and get dressed. We’re going over there in about an hour.” My eyes widened at the limited amount of time I had. I shooed him out of the bedroom, Sid chuckling all the way out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sid’s POV

I sat on the couch downstairs, flipping through a few magazines waiting for Steph to come downstairs before we went over to the Lemieux’s for dinner. I heard my cell phone go off, but I couldn’t see it anywhere near me. I got off the couch and walked into the kitchen. Sure enough, I left it on the counter. I picked it up and answered it, without even looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?” I heard a scoff on the other end.

“So now you think you can just answer your girlfriend’s phone whenever you feel like it?” I raised my eyebrow and pulled the phone away from my ear just to double check that it was, indeed my phone that I picked up.

“Um.. this is my phone. Kaitlyn, you called me.” After a few seconds of silence, I heard muffled laughter. Finally, Kaitlyn came back on the phone.

“Sorry, Sid. Kris told me he was dialing Steph’s number. So, where she at?”

“She’s upstairs getting ready. We’re going to Mario’s for dinner.”

“Oh, okay. Well, if she has a second before you guys leave, can you have her call me? It won’t take long. I just want to ask her something quick.”

I heard footsteps behind me. I stepped out of the kitchen and saw Steph stepping off the last stair into the living room.

“You know what, she actually just came downstairs. You want to talk to her now?” Steph looked at me, I mouthed Kaitlyn’s name, so she knew I wasn’t going to make her talk to a stranger. She nodded and I listened for Kaitlyn’s response.

“Uh, sure! Thanks, Sid.” I walked over and handed Steph the phone. I quietly waited til she was done. When she was finished, she handed me back my phone.

“You ready?” I nodded and pulled her in for a soft, sweet kiss.

“Let’s go. Natalie is excited to meet the girl I can’t seem to stop talking about.”

She smiled at me, laced her fingers through mine and we walked out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steph’s POV

When Sid and I walked the whole 50 feet to the Lemieux’s back door, we were greeted by a woman I could only imagine was Natalie. She pulled Sid into a tight hug and then turned to me.

“You must be Steph. I’m Natalie.” I gave her a small smile, she pulled me into a hug.

“It’s nice to meet you.” I said, taking off my coat and handing it to Sid, who was standing behind me with a hanger waiting for it.

Natalie walked Sid and I into the living room, where Mario was seen sitting on a chair reading a book. He looked up at up as he heard our footsteps. Closing his book and setting it on the table beside him, he stood up from the chair. He walked up to us with a smile.

“Well, I see you’re a little too lazy to cook tonight, there Captain?” Sid chuckled and I stood there a little nervous. He looked from Sid to me.

“This must be Steph. Sid’s told us a lot about you.” He held out his hand. I shook it while giving him a small smile.

“All good things, I hope.” Mario chuckled lightly.

“Oh no, we know all your secrets.” He smirked at me. I felt Sid run his hand up and down my back. I was finally beginning to relax as I smirked back at Mario. We walked in and sat down in the living room. Natalie offered Sid and I something to drink while we were waiting for dinner to be ready. I sat on the couch while Sid and Mario talked hockey. I wasn’t bored, I knew how important hockey was to Sid, so I just enjoyed that he wanted to share these moments with me. However, I was getting hungry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sid’s POV

After a delicious dinner, I looked over at Steph, happy to see that she was getting along well with Natalie. I was happy that if there was a case that she didn’t bring Kaitlyn with her to Pittsburgh, she had another woman she could lean on. Natalie stood up from the table, taking all of our plates.

“I’m just going to do the dishes. You guys can go into the living room and talk a little more if you want. I’ll be out there short thing.” Steph stood up from the table.

“I’ll help you. Let the boys talk hockey and what-not.” Natalie smiled at her. Just before Steph followed Natalie into the kitchen I reached out to grab her wrist. I pulled her down and place a soft kiss on her lips. Pulling away, I smiled up at her, a smile she gladly returned and I let her go.

After the ladies left, I turned to Mario. He had a huge grin on her face.

“She’s a keeper, son. Don’t let that one go.”I smiled at him.

“I don’t plan on it. “ We stood up from the table and walked into the living room. We sat down on the couch and turned on the tv. Sportscentre was covering the games that were going to be played that night. Mario and I listened to the panel for a bit before he turned to me again.

“So, you bringing her to the team dinner party?” I nodded.

“Yeah, and you’ll get to meet Kris’ girlfriend, Steph’s best friend. She’s awesome and perfect for Kris.” Mario smiled.

“I’m happy for you and Kris. Finding two great girls. If Kaitlyn’s anything like Steph, I’m sure she’ll be welcomed into the Penguins family with open arms.”

I smiled, remembering when the girls met some of my teammates. “Well, the girls have already met some of the boys and they fit it quite well. Better than I expected, I’m so happy, but I hate how far away she is.”

“Well, she’s graduating this year, right?” I nodded. “Well, you even think of maybe giving her a tour of the school here? She might like it and consider it.”

I smiled at him. That was a great idea, but then I remembered her dream of going to school in Halifax. I sighed. Mario looked over at me.

“What’s wrong, son?” I ran a hand through my hair.

“Her dream is to go the university in Halifax. I don’t want her to give up her dream just for me. I want her to still be her own person.” I leaned back into the couch. “Her being in Halifax won’t be so bad, though. She loves me parents and Taylor, and they love her. I’d be happy with her being there.” Mario smiled and clapped a hand on my shoulder.

“Well, I’m glad that you don’t want to change her. I’m proud of you for letting her be who she is on top of being in a relationship with you. That’s s good quality to have.”

I smiled at the man I called my second father as our conversation faded and we turned our focus back to the television.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steph’s POV

“So, did you get here?” Natalie asked me as she handed another plate to dry. I nodded with a smile.

“Yeah, just got in this morning. I had a nap almost right after I got to Sid’s, though.” Natalie chuckled lightly.

“Not an early bird, I take it?” I shook my head.

“Oh no, if I can get away with waking up around noon every day, I’ll be a happy camper.”

Natalie smirked. “I hear ya, but with four, or rather 5 kids,” we both chuckled, “sleeping in is not an option.”

I smiled as we finished up the dishes. When we were done, we stayed in the kitchen and talked for a little bit, giving the boys a little more “hockey talk” time.

“Do you and Sid have any plans while you’re here in Pittsburgh?” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Well, Sid’s bringing me to the team party. He gave me the invite just after I got here.” Natalie’s eyes lit up.

“Oh, that’s exciting. Do you have a dress?” I shook my head.

“No, I didn’t know I was going, so I have nothing to wear. No shoes, dress or anything.”

Natalie clapped her hands together. “I can help you! I can take you dress shopping.”

I smiled at her. “Really? That would be amazing. Oh, I have a feeling my best friend may be invited as well, could she come with us?”

Natalie nodded. “Of course, but you know that she can only go to the party if she is invited by a player or someone in the Pens organization.”

I nodded with a smile. “She’s dating Kris Letang.”

Natalie clapped her hands again. “Well then, that’s perfect. Why don’t we go tomorrow afternoon?”

I nodded in agreement, followed closely by a yawn, which I tried to hide, but Natalie caught on. She put an arm around my shoulder.

“I think it’s time you lay back down, eh?” I smiled at her and nodded weakly.

“I didn’t think I would be this tired today. I’m sorry.”

She waved it off. “Oh, it’s fine, really. Besides, we have tomorrow to talk some more.”

I smiled as we walked into the living room. The boys were standing up now, looking like they were finishing their night. Sid walked over to me with a smile.

“You ready to go?” I nodded. I said goodbye to Mario and told Natalie I’d see her the next day. Sid and I slipped our coats and boots on then walked back to his house. When we stepped through the door, Sid took my coat from me then pulled me close to him. He looked down at me with a smile.

“I forgot to say something earlier.” He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. Pulling away, he whispered. “Welcome back.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we go, Christmas is right around the corner, but first.. shopping with Natalie, and the dinner party... )))

Hope you enjoy...

steph <3