Teenagers

Fixed Converter; Broken Face

The following morning in 2nd period, working on a catalytic converter in Autoshop, Carlos asked me what was up. I told him nothing as i pried out the stupid peice of junk.

"You seem angry."

"I'm fine," I half-snapped at him.

"Alright," he said, even though he knew I was lying. "Did Amaya get a ride with Kyle yesterday?"

Glaring at him, I said, "Go away."

Of course, he did the one thing no one else would dare do. His arms wrapped around my waist from behind, and he whispered in my ear, "I'm sorry, Adira. Is that what's bothering you?"

My face had gone bright red, and I pushed him away. "Of course it is. She's been riding home with me. I thought she was into me." I glared at him desperately. "I really like her, Carlos."

"Yeah, she's cool. I'm really sorry. Do you need a hug?"

Smiling, I nodded. I was in his arms in an instant, smelling the familiar scent of his warm, friendly house. God, I loved him, in a friendly way, because we both knew we could never date. He was the perfect guy though.

Kyle, on the other hand, was not. He had just walked into the shop, 30 minutes late. "Nice of you to join us, Mr. Thomas."

He giggled and headed toward us. I groaned and smelled alcohol on his breath when he said hello to me. I allowed him the tiniest smile, and he said, "Amaya's hot."

I flinched, but just continued to replace the catalytic converter. Carlos laughed a little, just playing it cool, and Kyle said the dumbest thing possible, I swear. "I wanna fuck that--"

His words were cut off by my fist plunging into his cheek. "Don't ever say that about her, or ANY other girl."

Done with my work, I walked to Mr. Hanes, smiling and telling him I had finished my work. He laughed, winked, and told me good job. For a moment, I wondered if he meant the converter, or Kyle's face.