Status: new story that i happen to love the plot for.... comment/ subscribe if yo like :D

Ten Things I Love (to Hate) About You

Breaking down walls and other things that shouldn't be broken

“How do you know all that about Kelic?” Hecklin demanded as soon as she left the lunch room. Hailey sat down next to me and I squeezed her arm so she looked at me.

“I didn’t know you had a brother.”

“I don’t anymore.” She said, shrugging just slightly. But I knew better, that lifeless look was in her eyes. She turned to Hecklin. “Harris and Andrew both where at a suicide help house. They became good friends, and when I went to visit my brother over the summer me and Andrew became good friends, too. He told me everything. Anything he knew about his little sister, Kelic, and how she was moving to my school, and he was soc excited because we were going to be best friends like me and him, and yada yada yada.” She said, waving a hand in the air. She looked around at the quiet table, until her eyes landed on my plate.

“Nuh uh. No way. Not gonna happen, Hailey don’t you-!” I exclaimed before she snatched my chicken sandwich away and took a large bite out of it.

“Now you’re going to get my coodies.” I said mildly, deciding not to fight her for it. Brent and Trent gave me a disbelieving look while Hecklin snorted. “Like she doesn’t have them already?” Hailey stayed quiet, eating her food carefully while a conversation started around us. I nudged her leg under the table, and without so much as looking at me she nudged me back, harder. I chuckled and nudged her again, and this time she looked at Trent as her foot connected with my shin.

“Trent, tell Mocan to stop playing footsies with me under the table. That’s definitely a middle schools act.” Everyone snickered as I glared at her. She winked at me before standing.

“Alright, I’m going to have to go. Ms.Gallen wants me to help her sort through the poems that are turned in so far.”

“Wait, aren’t you doing a poem too!? How is that fair?” Hecklin whined. She shrugged, backing away. “I don’t have to do one because I’m judging all of the poems anomalously. That’s my grade. See you later.”

“Hey, wait! You staying for the game?” she gave me a confused look. “I kind of have to, don’t I? I mean, you are my ride home.”

“You could walk.” I teased, and she snorted. “Last time I did that the repercussions where not what I thought they would be.” I realized she was talking about Friday night.

“Well, no one will be there to save your ass this time, so I guess you are staying.” She snickered and walked off. I turned to my table to see everyone giving me a funny look.

“What!?” I asked innocently. They burst out laughing. “You two are either dating or screwing, I swear.” Brent said between fits of laughter. I frowned. “No, we’re not.”
“Dude, you are head over heels! I don’t know what she did to you to make you like this, but you have suck a love sick look with her around it’s not even funny!” Hecklin gasped as he held his stomach.

I was so confused. I didn’t like Hailey like that! She was a… friend? That word didn’t taste right in my mouth ,and I realized what Hailey must have felt when she said it earlier. Because really, we weren’t friends. I was the guy getting her through a tough time with the help of my single parent. Like a boyfriend would? I don’t really know, exactly. I’ve only ever really dated Kelic, and that’s because she was so persistent when asking me.

So… I guess I could be?

“Man, look out at the crowd! I’ve never seen so many people!” Brent said at half time. I grinned. “It’s because Hailey’s here. Do you not see her in the center of that mob?”

“Yeah. Isn’t this the first game she’s been to?”

“Since our freshmen year, yes.” I said, nodding. At that moment she looked at me suddenly, and grinned, waving. My jacket was way too big on her, but she didn’t bring her own, so she had borrowed mine. I felt my self grin and wave back as well, until someone hit me in the back of the head.

“Hey!” I exclaimed, but when I whirled Trent was hiding behind Hecklin and George. “You are so, totally smitten!” he cried, laughing. I gave him a confused look, and he stepped out from behind the two big boys to stand in front of me.

“in love. Obsessed. Completely devoted to one person.” He clarified. I scowled. “I am not!” I whined, only to have all of them snicker at me.

“Hey, if it’s any consolation, I think that she is completely falling for you, too. I mean, who else did she show up for?” everyone snickered again and I felt my face go beat red. Coach came out of the bathroom, pale. He was still sick, and had likely been throwing up.

“Hey. Alright. You boys ready?” we all roared a yes, and he smiled slightly.

“Good to know. If you guys win this one, no practice for the next two days.” We all whooped, and he laughed as we began filing out onto the field again. I grimaced as my side tweaked a bit. Hailey had graciously wrapped my ribs before the game- making me think she shoved one or two of them into my lung as she did so- and now it didn’t hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would. She also drugged me with a couple more of her pills, too. So I was feeling pretty good.

That is, until someone slammed into me fourth quarter.

I was focusing on Lucas, who was supposed to be throwing it to me. I didn’t see the mountain of a guy coming up on my left side until he hit me, sending me flying as I heard things pop and snap. I gasped as I hit the ground, pain erupting from what seemed like everywhere. Brent was their immediately, reaching towards me.

“Don’t touch me! Get coach.” His eyes went, wide, and he rushed to the side lines. I heard the stands go silent as I waited, trying not to breath too deep because it hurt too much. Finally coach was leaning over me.

“What hurts Grant?” he barked, concern in his eyes.

“My arm I landed on and my ribs, sir. I bruised them up pretty bad over the weekend.” He pulled my arm out from behind me and gasped.

“Son, we need to get you to the hospital.”