Status: active-hopefully lots of school work and work

Crazy Mixed Up World

Custody

So here we are sitting in our dining room with my parents lawyer. We were going over their will. Admittedly I was not really paying attention I was to busy thinking about my life and what could have been and what should have happened. How I should have died instead of my parents. At least if I had died my brothers would only be missing one sister and not both parents and none of us would be orphans.

“Mel, Mel, MELISSA!!” Jon said trying to get my attention, “Are you listening at all? You do know you are a part of this family and whatever happens will affect you the most? So Mr. Lawrence what is…”

“What is going to happen to me?” I said interrupting Jonathan. “I don’t want to go into foster care! I’ve heard stories of what happens there. I can just file for emancipation!!! Except how would I, I don’t have any parents to sign the form. I need to get a job; I need to go to school. I need…” I said rushing my words out not even listening to what I was saying.

“Melissa, no one said anything about you going into foster care.” Mr. Lawrence said. “Now your parents will was written a couple years ago. So it says… regarding custody of Mr. David Towes and Ms. Melissa Towes it shall be awarded to Mr. Jonathan Towes. In the chance that Jonathan is unable or unwilling to take custody of the children they shall be sent either to foster care or to a boarding school that shall be paid for and Jonathan would take care of the children during the summer if willing. Seeing as David is over 18 he is exempt from this. However seeing as Melissa is only 14 some decisions need to be made.”

We all kind of sat there. I knew that I really wanted to go with Jonathan. I really didn’t want to go into foster care or to a boarding school. I love my family and since half of them are gone now I would like to spend time with the family I do have. I would even go with David if I had to but him being 18 I would basically be taking care of my self anyways.

I knew that I couldn’t ask Jon to take me in though it’s a decision he would have to make for him because it would turn his life in Chicago upside down. He was the captain of the Chicago Blackhawks. I idolised him growing up I could never ask him to change his life for me.

Amidst my thinking I never heard Jon say, “I’ll take custody of her.”
I asked Jon to repeat what he said.
“I will take custody of you Mel. You are my sister and I love you. I want to hold what family we have together. Of course it will not be easy and with my schedule there will be some major changes. However, if you are up for the challenge I am to.” He told me with the first genuine smile I have seen on his face in a long time. I tried to smile back at him but I just couldn’t.

Of course I was happy to be staying with my brother but that made it so much more real that my parents were gone. Jon started talking about packing up and leaving. I started feeling suffocated again. I didn’t want to leave just yet. I was nowhere near ready to leave Winnipeg for Chicago. Jon said that he was still grieving over mom and dad but that he had responsibilities in Chicago and that mom and dad would want us to move on.
I got up.
“YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MOM AND DAD WOULD HAVE WANTED. YOU ARE OFF IN CHICAGO LIVING YOUR LIFE. YOU NEVER CALL. YOU NEVER CALL BACK WHEN I CALL YOU. DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN MY LIFE ANYMORE??” he looked ashamed. “I DIDN’T THINK SO. YOU MAY BE READY TO FORGET MOM AND DAD ALREADY BUT I’M NOT!!!” I yelled at him before getting up and storming out of the house as best as I could on crutches.
♠ ♠ ♠
What Melissa wore to meet with Mr. Lawrence (lawyer): http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/app

yay fourth chapter. i wanted to thank all my readers and subscribers (5) i didn't think i would get any so thank you :)
please leave comments :)
also for the polyvore thing anyone know how to do the intent thing so I don't have to put a link at the bottom of the page? it would be very helpful