Status: Going slowly

Living My Dream

Five

Three Months Later

“I don’t know how you do it Dasha, I miss Gabe so much.” Rory bounced Logan on her leg as the three sat in the café. Dasha and Rory had grown exceptionally close throughout the first few months. “It’s like he’s barely around anymore. Practice, practice, game, road trip for five days. It gets pretty lonely around the house without him.” She waved her hand around while talking.

“Well good thing they come home today!” Dasha smiled sympathetically. She knew how hard it was getting used to the boys’ rigorous schedule. When she and Semyon started dating, she almost walked away from the relationship because of how alone she felt. It got better once they spent their first summer together and realized that they were in love and they could make it work. “It gets better though, Rory, I promise.”

“I mean he calls me every night and we try to Skype, it’s just that we did that for 8 months you know? We had a long distance relationship for 8 months and now that I’m here, I want to be with him all the time. I’m just being selfish I guess. Even if he is home though…I’m always just taking care of Loags, don’t get me wrong I love that I get to spend so much time with him but…I was thinking about looking for a part time job.”

“It’s understandable, Rory. What were you thinking?” Dasha asked, taking a sip of her latte.

“Well, I was thinking about applying at the public library. They’re only open a few hours a day and if needed I could just work morning hours and then come home to do whatever is needed at home. I just want to get out of the house for a few hours you know?”

“Who would look after Logan?”

“I was thinking of putting Logan in daycare, so he can learn to socialize with other kids, you know?”

“I say you do it. It’ll be good for you and Logan.” Dasha patted Rory’s hand. “What do you say we go welcome our boys home?”

“What do you say Logan? Ready to see daddy?” Rory asked her son with a kiss on his cheek.

“Daddy!” He screamed. Both girls laughed and gathered their things. They arrived at the Pepsi Center just ten minutes before the returning men did. As soon as Gabe stepped off the buss Logan pounded on the window of the car. Rory unbuckled him and allowed him to run to his father. Gabe picked him up enthusiastically and placed kisses on his cheek. Rory wrapped her arms around herself, shielding her sweatshirt clad body from the cold, as she walked to Gabe.

“Welcome home.” Rory tip toed and kissed Gabe’s warm lips.

“I enjoy coming home from road trips to that.” He held Rory close to his side, trying to keep her warm. “What do you say we head home?”

“I say it sounds pretty damn good to me.” She held on to both her men as they walked to their separate cars. Once at home, Rory whipped up a quick dinner for Gabe. They all sat in the living room while he ate and Rory played with Logan.

“What did you guys do while I was away?” Gabe asked with his mouth full.

Rory giggled, wiping sauce off his upper lip before answering. “Well, we found a gym for me to join with a little play area for, Loags. And I just cleaned around.” She contemplated on telling Gabe about her thoughts on the part time job.

“Well that’s nice.” Gabe said, his eyes focused on the TV. Sports Center was on.

“Yeah, but I got to thinking about something.” Rory’s voice showed her nervousness.

“What’s that, babe?” Gabe said absentmindedly.

“Well…I spend a lot of time at home and I can only clean so much and re-arrange the rooms so many times.”

“What are you getting at?” Gabe paid more attention.

“I was thinking maybe I should look for a part time job. Maybe just a few hours a week, just so I can get out of the house.” Rory said quickly.

“Where would you apply…?” Gabe narrowed his eyes.

“I’ve thought about this and I was thinking I could get a job at the public library. I could work a couple hours in the morning on weekdays and have off on the weekends.” She searched Gabe’s face for any sign of his reaction, but found her answer in the tone of his voice.

“Who would watch Logan?” He said annoyed.

“I was thinking about the daycare on Rosemont.” She pulled her knees to her chest.

“Have you started looking for daycares?”

“Well…yeah.” She said in a small voice.

“Without even talking to me first? You just assumed I was okay with this?” Gabe got up and walked downstairs to the kitchen.

“I just looked! I didn’t sign him up, Gabriel.” She shouted down to him as he tossed the plate in the sink and walked away. “Could you please wash your plate?” She asked.

“I just got home from a road trip, Rory, I’m tired.”

“Gabe! It’s a plate and a fork. I think you have enough energy to take a sponge, scrub it down, and rinse it.” Rory was now annoyed as well.

“Why don’t you do it since you’re all of a sudden looking for more work now?” Gabe shot back.

“All of a sudden? This isn’t all of a sudden. I had a job back home in Kitchener and I loved it.”

“Your parents were there to look after our son. I don’t want to leave him with strangers.”

“It’s a good daycare! They help him start learning too, working on his motor skills, and stuff he’d need when he does start school. Plus, being stuck in this house isn’t going to help him socialize.”

“He’s fucking 2, he doesn’t need to socialize!” Gabe said rather loudly.

“Gabriel! Language!” Rory got up and swung Logan onto her hip. “You know what forget it.” Rory walked away. She climbed the stairs and carried Logan into the bathroom to give him his nightly bath. She whispered angry words as she filled up the tub. Logan looked up at her with confused eyes. “I’m sorry baby.” She kissed his head and began to remove his little Avalanche shirt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. I've been dealing with a bit of writer's block. But in that time, to get my creative story juices flowing, I wrote a one shot on Kris Letang. If you guys are interested, just let me know and I'll post it! It's a play on the song Stay by Sugarland.

Thanks for sticking by me, loves. Please COMMENT!

Peace. Love. Hockey.