‹ Prequel: She Makes Me Wanna
Sequel: Bring Me To Life

We Found Love

Chapter Twenty Two-Aftermath

I never thought I’d see so many people crammed into Pittsburgh International Airport as I walked out of baggage claim. I was mobbed by fans and media alike, all of them clamoring to get a glimpse at my gold medal. I was eventually stuck in a corner, and I hopped up onto a bench to get the horde to calm down.

“Guys, calm down!” I called out, and the crowd quieted slightly. A few members of the security staff came over, but I waved them off, mouthing ‘it’s alright’. They nodded but stood a few feet away, ready to pounce if anything went awry. I slowly answered every question that was thrown at me, from what it felt like to score the game winning goal to how I felt about being in Russia. The only question that made me freeze for an instant was when a reporter asked me about Sidney.

“Miss Vance, a very interesting photo of you and Sidney Crosby was released just after Canada won the men’s gold medal in hockey. Can you elaborate on the relationship between you and the Penguins’ captain?” the reporter asked. Sidney and I had decided to say that it was a moment of passion and that we hadn’t really thought about it just to avoid any awkward accusations further on down the road.

“Well at the time I don’t think either of us was expecting that. Emotions were high, and Sidney was ecstatic to have won his second gold medal…I think that when he saw a familiar face he just reacted instinctively,” I laughed, trying to play the moment off.

“Are you saying that had he seen, say, Evgeni Malkin, he would have reacted the same way?” another reporter asked. I raised my eyebrows.

“No, I don’t think he would have. Had he seen another woman he knew, I think he probably would have though,” I said. The reporters seemed satisfied after that and dispersed, leaving me to handle the fans. I signed every stick, puck, and jersey thrown at me, and by the time I made it out of the airport I had been there for over 2 hours. I walked outside to find myself standing in front of a very familiar looking black SUV. Sidney was standing there, leaning against it with a sign that said Vance in one hand and a rose in the other. He had a knit hat on his head and large sunglasses on, so he was harder to recognize than I had been. I laughed and kissed him on the cheek before tossing my suitcase into the back of his SUV.

“You were in there forever,” he said.

“Well us American heroes go over better than the Canadian type,” I smirked, and he shook his head before kissing me on the forehead and ushering me into the car.

The minute we got into the apartment Sidney picked me up bridal style and threw me onto the couch.

“Woah, what’s gotten into you?” I laughed, looking up at him. His dark eyes were mixed with lust, and I swallowed roughly.

“I haven’t gotten to be with you like this in over two weeks…you won the gold medal…you handled the press like a champ…you look beautiful…” Sidney said, kissing me deeply between each statement. I felt my cheeks turn red as he complimented me, so I just grabbed the back of his neck and kissed him equally as deeply, letting him know how I feel with my actions and not my words for once. His hands wound through my hair and he straddled me quickly, almost sitting on my waist.

“God Emily…one day, I want to marry you…have kids, everything,” he gasped as he looked at me and I felt my heart stop.

“S-Sid,” I squeaked. He paled.

“O-oh my…I didn’t mean now, I-I meant like…later. You still have like…twenty bajillion years left in the NHL before anything like that happened,” Sid stammered, his face turning bright red as panic set in. I cupped his face gently in my hands and smiled softly at him.

“I love you Sidney. Don’t ever question it. I want to marry you too, but not now. I know that you want kids, but you’re going to have to wait a long time…not until I retire,” I whispered, and Sidney smiled sadly.

“I know Em…I know,” he whispered before kissing me gently. I felt something sinking in my chest. Somehow I knew that even without talking about it, Sidney wanted a family more than anything. I felt guilty that I couldn’t give it to him now when he was in the prime of his life, but I wasn’t ready to retire. I wasn’t ready to give up hockey to start a family. I had given up so much of my life to make it this far, and I wasn’t willing to quit yet.

“Emily, what’s wrong?” Sidney asked, wiping a tear off of my cheek. I hadn’t even realized I had begun to cry. Suddenly it was like a dam broke, and I began to sob.

“I-I am so s-sorry Sid! I-I want to give you th-the life you want but I c-c-can’t right now!” I wailed, and his eyes widened.

“Emily, please stop crying! Don’t!” he cried, pulling me tightly into his chest.

“B-but you d-deserve a f-family!” I hiccupped, still crying. Sidney cradled me into his body and began to rock me back and forth as he smoothed down my hair and kissed the top of my head.

“I only want a family with you Emily, and if I have to wait I will. You’re worth it,” he whispered, which caused me to cry even harder. I had never felt so much guilt in my life, and Sidney grew pale as he failed to comfort me.

“S-stop you’re making it w-worse!” I eventually wailed before leaping up and running to my room. I threw myself into my bed, sobs wracking my body as I hugged my pillow to my chest. Sidney crept into the bed with me and wrapped his arm around my waist, kissing the back of my neck as he did so. Eventually I stopped crying and he rolled me over so that I could see him through my puffy eyes.

“Emily look at me. I know you feel guilty, and I know you’re mad at yourself, but I fell in love with you and nothing will change that. One day, when you’re ready to retire, we can start a family, but until then I will wait. Being with you is enough to make me the happiest man on Earth,” Sidney whispered, and this time I nodded before snuggling into his chest.

“I love you Sid,” I squeaked.

“I love you too,” he said, kissing the top of my head gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
The first real "issue" in the Sidney/Emily romance has risen up in a while :)