Status: Going on hiatus for awhile.

Trapped in a Vile World

Chapter Sixteen

“Zacky, I really don’t know what to say,” I mumbled, completely overwhelmed. The hope faded from his eyes and he slowly nodded.

“I understand,” he said, squeezing, then releasing my hand. He turned his head to the door. “I think someone’s waiting for you,” he said, annoyed. He zipped to the door and opened it. Brian was pacing in the hallway in front of the door. Zacky looked pissed. “And what the hell do you think you’re doing?” he asked venomously.

“Just making sure nothing bad is happening,” Brian replied with forced calmness.

“You think you need to babysit me?!” Zacky said, his voice escalating.

“Well, based on your disgusting behavior earlier? Hell yeah,” he spat back.

Zacky’s hands curled into fists, and he shook with anger. I walked up behind him and slipped one of my hands over his fist. He instantly relaxed and looked back into my eyes. I stood on my tiptoes and whispered in his ear.

“Just let it go.” He took a deep breath, and walked out of the room, glaring at Brian as he passed, but nothing more. Brian looked at me, surprised.

“How did you do that?” he asked. “I’ve never seen him back down like that once!”

“I honestly don’t know,” I shrugged. Then Brian launched into overprotective mode.

“Are you okay? He didn’t touch you, right?” He asked, inspecting me.

“Brian!” I laughed. “Back off, nothing happened. We just talked a little.” He looked at me suspiciously. “Seriously!” I insisted, getting a bit annoyed.

“Fine,” he said, still looking me over. I rolled my eyes and pushed my way past him. “Where are you going?” he asked, taken aback.

“To talk to Jimmy, I said, closing my door in his face. Brian was sweet, and I cared for him, but he was really starting to get on my nerves. When I opened Jimmy’s door, it was dark. I knocked softly. “Jimmy?” I whispered, knowing he would hear me if he was awake.

“Over here, sis,” he said, turning the lights on to a dim glow. He was sitting on his bed with his glasses on. I smiled; he looked so adorable. “What’s up?” he looked up at me.

“I have a few questions,” I said softly. He smiled, crossed his legs, and took his glasses off.

“I’m all ears.”

“Uhm, well first, why do they listen to you? When you tell them to do something, they do it. Like when Matt was hurting Zacky earlier…”

“Well, there’s a hierarchy among us,” he explained. “Vampires are born when other two vampires mate. When vampires mate with humans, their children are at the bottom of the food chain. Vampires who mate with vampires who were once human are just above them. Vampires who mate with vampires without a trace of human blood in the family tree, sometimes called ‘purebloods,’ are at the top of the tree. The top is a very, very small fraction of vampire society. Most are in that middle section of the pyramid, a mix with once-human blood. The number of vampires who mate with humans is also a small number, but not as small as purebloods. Those children are usually looked down upon, and a lot of them separate from our society. But the way the hierarchy goes, a command from a pureblood must be obeyed. They have the power to control those below them, but only to a degree.”

“So that makes you…”

“A pureblood, yes,” he said, not ashamed, yet not boasting. He was humble for such a grand creature. “But I don’t make the guys do what I say. That’s their own choice. They just respect me.”

“So they’re…”

“All in the so-called ‘middle-class,’ yes. But I don’t judge them by that.” I nodded.

“So… How do you become a vampire?” I asked nervously. He laughed a little.

“You’re safe, sis.” So he did know what I was thinking. “It takes more than a thirsty bite. You have to be injected with a vampire’s venom. It’s a conscious effort for us. And it’s draining.” I nodded, relieved.

“Uhm, another thing,” I asked softly, looking into his crystal blue eyes. He nodded for me to go on. “Why do you call me ‘sis’?” He chuckled warmly.

“Because, as far as I’m concerned, you’re like a sister to me. It’s the chemistry we have. That’s why I protected you the way I did the other day.” I shivered, remembering the sounds of his bones cracking. He rubbed my arm. “It’s okay,” he cooed.

“And, if you’re a pureblood, why did Johnny attack you?” His expression went cold.

“Johnny was thirsty. He was lusting for blood. It’s a state no vampire should ever put himself in, but Johnny has been trying to wean himself from drinking directly from humans. The four of us typically drink from blood we can swipe from blood banks. We don’t like to hurt people unless we really have to. We don’t enjoy being blood-sucking monsters, ya know,” he tried to put a light spin on it, but the subject was still heavy.

“So Johnny didn’t inject me with his venom?”

“No, you definitely would’ve noticed. It’ll put you in searing pain.” I flinched. “Don’t worry sis, I won’t let that happen to you.” I looked over at him. His blue eyes were filled with pain. “I’ve let that happen before. And I lost someone I truly cared for. And I’ll never forgive myself,” he said softly, his voice full of sorrow.

“Oh Jimmy,” I said, throwing my arms around him comfortingly. “I’ll always be here for you. Always.”

He smiled and kissed my forehead.

“Let’s get some shut eye, kid.”

We curled up together on his huge bed, and fell fast asleep.