Status: Going on hiatus for awhile.

Trapped in a Vile World

Chapter Fifteen

Everyone in the room stared at Zacky with disbelief, especially me. I couldn’t believe my ears. I must’ve imagined that, I thought. But as I surveyed the expressions of those around me, I knew I was wrong.

Brian’s eyes were full of utter disbelief, and Matt’s were full of shock and anger. Jimmy was standing behind me, so I couldn’t see his face.

“Tera,” Zacky said softly, taking a step toward me. Jimmy’s hand squeezed my shoulder, Brian jumped between Zacky and I, growling protectively, and Matt grabbed Zacky, choking and restraining his arms. He didn’t struggle against Matt, and he didn’t take his eyes off of mine. There was something in those pleading green eyes that made me want to comfort him.

“Let him go,” I said quietly. Brian turned around and looked at me in shock and Jimmy squeezed my shoulder again.

“What?!” Brian asked incredulously. “Tera,” he said, putting his hands on either side of my face. I could hear a very low growl come from Zacky. “Are you thinking straight, love? Are you sure you want to do this?” I nodded confidently.

“Yes, Brian,” I said, looking into his dark brown eyes. “I’m sure.”

“I’m not,” Matt snarled, tightening his grip until Zacky groaned in pain.

“STOP IT!” I yelled, taking a step forward. Matt continued to squeeze.

“Matt,” Jimmy said quietly. Matt immediately loosened his grip. “Let him go.” Matt grimaced, but reluctantly let Zacky go. He smiled at me. I never realized how his smile made his green eyes glow.

“Can we talk?” He asked, all eyes on him. “Privately?” he said, looking at Brian and Jimmy. Brian looked at me, and when I nodded, he opened the door to Jimmy’s room. Jimmy squeezed my shoulder again.

“You have nothing to worry about, sis,” he whispered comfortingly in my ear. I smiled and kissed him on the cheek. He and Brian went back into his room, Brian giving me a look that clearly said that all I had to do was yell and he’d be there in an instant. I smiled reassuringly at him as the door clicked shut.

I looked over at Matt, who was still hovering angrily behind Zacky. I began to walk towards him, and I saw his body stiffen and his nostrils flare. Zacky was immediately between us, baring his teeth at Matt.

“You heard the lady,” he said, venom touching his voice. Matt growled at him, and walked past me, stopping to kiss the nape of my neck until Zacky snarled.

“Until next time, my sweet,” Matt whispered audibly in my ear. Zacky’s snarl filled the entire hallway, and after a satisfied chuckle, Matt was gone in a flash.

Zacky opened my door and gestured for me to enter. I nodded a thank you, and entered. I tapped the wall, turning the lights up to a medium glow, and then sat at one of the chairs by the fire. Zacky joined me in an instant.

I looked down at my feet – I had no idea how to start this conversation. There were so many questions I wanted answered. Zacky chuckled, and I figured he knew exactly what was going through my head. He gently touched my hand with his fingertips. I looked up and saw reassurance in his green eyes, and I felt more confident.

“Zacky,” I said quietly. “I don’t even know where to start.”

“Then let me start,” he said, just as quietly. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for the way I’ve been treating you. I know what I just said must be confusing, especially considering the way I treated you before. But please,” he begged, his green eyes pitifully sad. “Please forgive me.”

“Uhm,” I said hesitantly, watching his eyes burn with torture. I was truly surprised by the face that he really did seem sorry. “I think I can do that,” I said softly, watching his eyes glow again.

“Well,” he asked nicely. “What do you want to know?” I gingerly reached over and touched his lip with my fingertip. He parted his lips enough that I could see his fangs. He sat completely still, allowing me to touch them. They weren’t long and hideous, like in the fables. They were actually fairly inconspicuous; they looked like canine teeth that were just a little too long. I moved my hand away. “Be careful, love,” he said quietly. “I don’t want you to slice your finger open.” I smiled.

“So,” I asked quietly, looking into the fire, “How did you become…?”

“We were born this way. It’s a hereditary trait when two vampires mate.” I nodded. Well, that makes sense. He looked at me patiently, waiting for my next question. I looked down, remembering when he had kissed me. “You want to know about last night,” he said softly. It wasn’t even a question. He must’ve known what I was thinking. I looked up at him, and I couldn’t really recognize the emotion that dimmed his green eyes. “Well, I don’t really know what came over me,” he admitted, looking away from me. “I guess I was angry, I was jealous, I was frustrated, and I was thirsty. I just couldn’t control myself. I’m sorry,” he said quietly. “Well, for the way I acted, not for kissing you.” I blushed.

“You know,” I said looking into the fire. “Love is a strong word.”

“Yes, Tera,” he said, glancing at me. I kept my eyes on the fire. “It’s a very strong word. And I meant it.”

“How could you possibly –“

“Tera, I just know. It’s a vampire thing. We just know when we find that special person. And I knew the moment I ran into you that day on the street when you were running from Johnny.” He took my hand and gently kissed it with his soft lips, the lip rings making it tingle. “Tera,” he looked up into my eyes. “I want to protect you. I want to love you. Please be mine.”

I looked into those hopeful green eyes, speechless.