Status: Going on hiatus for awhile.

Trapped in a Vile World

Chapter Thirty-One

I screamed and thrashed with every bit of my strength as I felt the white-hot venom work it’s way through my body, but I was no match for my captor. He detached his lips from my neck, panting. His eyes flashed with triumph as he held my wriggling body against the wall. He seemed almost pleased by my pain.

BANG. The door to the bedroom slammed open, and my captor let go of my wrists. I crumpled to the ground, writhing and screaming as blood dripped down and stained my dress. I heard loud noises, but I couldn’t make out exactly what was happening. It was hard to concentrate on anything but the pain, and my eyesight was coming and going. I felt a gentle hand touch my face, but I couldn’t make out the face.

“Tera, are you alright?” came Zacky’s soft voice. I’d managed to stop screaming, but my eyes were full of tears. He pushed my hair away from my face and neck.

“No,” he said quietly as his hands found the wound. He turned away from me. “What have you done to her?!” he asked in a demanding, furious voice.

“It’s too late for her, Baker,” came my captor’s strained, half-choked voice. “Too late to stop it.”

“No!” Zacky roared, leaping away from my side. There were more loud thuds, followed by a huge splash of red across one of the adjacent walls. I’d taken up screaming again, my body writhing on the floor from agony. Zacky was back by my side in an instant.

“Baby,” he whispered. “It’s going to be okay, baby. I know it. I promise.” I could barely make out his comforting words over the echoes of my own shrieks. “Baby,” he said again as my screams started to fade. “Baby, stay with me.” He shook me gently. The room started fading to black and the pain was so intense I could feel my body turning numb. “Baby, don’t leave me…” Zacky’s voice faded as I slipped into sweet black nothingness.

When I awoke, it didn’t seem like much time had passed. It felt like I was still on the floor where I’d been before. My eyelids didn’t want to open, and all my limbs felt heavy. I wasn’t breathing. My brain suddenly raced. I wasn’t breathing. How was I thinking if I wasn’t breathing? How was I alive? Was I alive? I heard a loud thud and footsteps. I kept perfectly still.

“What’s going on?” I heard Jimmy’s melodic voice ask. I tried to smile at the comforting sound, but my muscles didn’t budge.

“I’m not entirely sure,” Zacky’s worried voice whispered. I felt his soft hand touch my cheek, and a deep sigh when I didn’t respond. “She’s been like this for a good twenty minutes. He said it was too late to save her, which could only mean one thing,” he whispered even quieter. Even if I couldn’t see them, I could feel the tension radiating off of Jimmy.

“So that’s why he’s like that?” Jimmy’s voice came a few minutes later.

“He provoked me. He was all over her.” Zacky’s voice was venomous.

“Here,” Jimmy said.

“No,” Zacky said back, his tone dripping with sorrow. “I don’t want to move her. I don’t know what’s going on or if she’s really transforming or what…”

That’s when it really hit me. My captor, whoever he was, had put venom into my veins; it wasn’t a dream, it was reality. I was going to become one of them, if I hadn’t already. The searing pain had subsided, or my body had somehow adjusted to it. I could feel a small warmth trickle down my limbs with the realization, and I seemed to be back in command of my body. Slowly, my eyes fluttered open. There wasn’t anything fuzzy, no adjusting needed. I could see every little detail of everything in my line of vision; it was amazing. I heard the sharp intakes of breath, and saw Zacky and Jimmy run to my side; I saw every little movement they made. I blinked slowly, and forced myself to breathe.

“Tera,” came Zacky’s sweet voice. “Tera, can you hear me?” I smiled and turned my head to look at him. His green eyes were ablaze with joy, confusion, and concern.

“I’m fine,” I said in a small voice. “Where’s Jim?” Zacky gestured to my other side, and I turned to see dancing crystal blue eyes peering at me.

“You gave us quite the scare,” he said, looking over me. “How do you feel?”

“My limbs are heavy,” I said, struggling to sit up. They both tried to help, but my reflexes caught them before they could. “Let me do this on my own,” I insisted. “I’m not a child.” I managed to sit up and cross my legs without any assistance.

“You are kind of a newborn,” Zacky said quietly. Jimmy glared daggers at him. I touched his hand and nodded.

“Everything is… sharper. I can see and hear everything. It’s like being in a brand new world,” I murmured. Zacky and Jimmy exchanged a look that didn’t look too happy.

“Tera,” Zacky said as I turned to face him. “You’re one of us now. You have to learn the world again.” I frowned, not quite understanding until I felt my throat begin to burn. I grabbed it with one hand. They exchanged another unhappy look.

“What’s going on?” I asked, fearful that my pain wasn’t over.

“You’re thirsty,” Jimmy said almost silently. My eyes went wide as I realized what he meant.

“You mean…” I trailed off. Both men nodded, and Zacky rolled up his sleeve. I stared at his arm, and I could practically see the blood racing through the veins in his arm. I shook my head. Zacky gave me a hard look.

“Tera, you need to learn,” he insisted. There was a loud thud from somewhere beyond the door, causing both men to look anxious. “And the sooner the better.” I sighed, staring at his arm again. I slowly raised my hand to my mouth, and felt along my teeth. I almost gasped when I felt the fangs protruding a little more than they had a few hours prior.

“I… I can’t,” I whispered, afraid to use my new weapons, especially on the men I loved. Zacky sighed impatiently and pulled a small knife out of his pocket. He pulled it across his skin too fast for even my new eyes to see. When I saw the red beginning to surface, the burn in my throat became near unbearable. I shut my eyes tightly, refusing to give into the impulse.

“Tera, we don’t have time for you to be squeamish,” came Jimmy’s soft voice. “We’re on a bit of a deadline,” he added after another loud crash. I nodded nervously and lowered my head to Zacky’s arm. I placed a soft kiss above his wound before connecting my lips to the trail of blood. My senses danced as I tasted the tangy liquid. It was the best thing I’d ever tasted, and I couldn’t help greedily wanting more. When my drinking became too selfish, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I immediately withdrew from Zacky, realizing what I’d done. He looked a little pale and sickly. I bit my lip gingerly, doing my best not to slice the soft skin open.

“Are you okay?” I asked silently as he cleaned the cut with his shirt. He nodded, rolling his sleeve back down and looking at Jimmy.

“We need to move,” Jimmy said as the thuds and bangs got louder. I saw Zacky nod, but I gave him a puzzled expression.

“We’re not exactly supposed to be here,” Zacky said, smiling mischeviously. “The elder’s house is almost sacred in our world, and coming here to crash a party isn’t exactly well looked upon, or easy for that matter.” I smiled a little at the humor, but didn’t miss the seriousness of his words.

“Where are the guys?” I asked, glancing around the room. I heard yells and more loud noises.

“That would be them,” Jimmy said, glancing towards the door. “Can you get up?” I nodded hesitantly, using my new strength to lift myself to a standing position.

“This new body might take some adjusting,” I mumbled, extending and testing all my limbs. “It’s a lot heavier than my old one.” The boys gave me a puzzled look and I rolled my eyes. “Human thing. I guess,” I tried to explain. They both nodded, but didn’t seem to understand. As we began walking toward the door, I heard a raspy laugh. We all turned simultaneously to see my captor, crumpled in a bloody heap and laughing. Zacky sure worked him over.

“You’ve already lost,” he choked out. I walked over to him. “You’re one of us, and no one can save you now.” I glared at him and picked him up by the throat. He was gasping for air, his breaths sounded pained. I put my face inches from his.

“That was the last mistake you’ll ever make, motherfucker,” I growled before ripping his throat out. I dropped what was left of his body on the floor, dropping the bloody mess in my hands. I charged back toward the door, wiping my hands on my dress. The guys both looked at me with surprise. I shrugged, pulling the door open. “Let’s get out of here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm trying to update as much as possible. :)
Please leave comments telling me what you think is going to happen or just if you like it. :)
xoxoMel