Status: Going on hiatus for awhile.

Trapped in a Vile World

Chapter Six

I felt as though I’d kind of made a connection with someone. There was something about Brian that made me feel at home. I’d known him for all of five minutes, and I was already starting to trust him.

“So, uhm…” I started, awkwardly. “Who are you guys? I mean, I know your names, but that’s it.” He chuckled.

“We’re just a group of friends living together,” he said, with a hint of a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. I looked at him suspiciously, but accepted his answer for now.

“In a giant warehouse?” I joked. He chuckled warmly, laying his arm across the back of the couch.

“This isn’t the only room we use,” he said, poking fun at me. I stuck my tongue out at him in reply. “What are we, four-year-olds?” he teased. I smacked his hand lightly. He chuckled warmly. “Not to be intrusive,” he began calmly. “But I’d like to check your ribs,” he said soothingly. I looked at him nervously. He gently laid his large hand over top of mine. “Please,” he spoke quietly, his dark brown eyes staring into mine. “I just want to check and make sure than you’re doing okay.” I took in a nervous breath, then nodded slowly. He smiled and squeezed my hand. “It’ll only take a minute,” he promised.

I held my breath and laid flat on the couch; he kneeled on the ground next to me. Gently, he slipped his hands under Matt’s huge shirt, and began to unwrap the gauze. I tried to breathe slowly and calmly so that my chest wasn’t heaving up and down while he hands worked. I felt the last strip of gauze leave my body, and I let out my breath. He looked me in the eyes as he slowly moved Matt’s shirt up. I nodded, telling him that it was okay. He nodded back and I closed my eyes. He gingerly pulled it up so that it still covered my chest, but exposed my rib cage. I smiled a little. He was so conscious of my insecurity; it was kind of sweet. He put pressure on various places along my torso, but never touched anywhere that would make me uncomfortable. A few times I winced, and once I even yelled out. He mumbled apologies constantly.

“Well, everything seems to be healing just fine,” he announced, as I opened my eyes again. We smiled in relief simultaneously. He pulled some clean gauze out of his back pocket. “This will just take a second,” he mumbled, beginning to wrap my torso again. I nodded and arched my back so he could easily reach under it.

When all was said and done, I reached over and touched his hand gently to get his attention. He looked at me with a questioning expression.

“Thank you,” I said quietly. He smiled warmly.

“It’s the least I can do,” he said kindly, picking up the blood-soaked gauze. I cringed a little. He followed my gaze. “It’s okay now,” he said reassuringly. “This was the first gauze we wrapped you in when you got here. You’re not bleeding like that anymore.” I smiled at him, but I still felt a little squeamish about the idea of all that blood coming from my wounds. “Don’t do anything too strenuous while I’m gone,” he chuckled, walking towards the door.

As he reached for the door, it slammed open, and in the doorway stood Jimmy. I could hear Brian saying something to him, and, though he nodded, it was obvious that he wasn’t really listening. Brian walked out the door shaking his head as Jimmy walked toward the couch.

“Hello, my lady,” he said in a drawling tone, exaggerating a bow. I giggled at him. He took the invitation and walked over toward the couch. I curled my feet up and he sat as close as he could without touching me. “Feeling well?” he asked with the same pompous tone of voice. I laughed.

“Why yes, my lord,” I said, matching his snooty remarks. He looked a little surprised, but smiled, a glint of mischief in his eyes.

“Then, let us dance!” he exclaimed, grabbing my hands and pulling me off the couch. He clumsily led me as we attempted to waltz around the room. We were both laughing; I couldn’t remember ever having this much fun.

The door slammed open again and we came to a halt, his back to the door. Our chests were heaving and we were both out of breath, smiling at each other. I looked over his shoulder at the door, expecting to see Matt or Brian returning. That was not the case.

My eyes widened as they took in the silhouette of a short man with a short brown and blonde hair, dark brown eyes, and a smirk that sent shivers down my spine. In front of me stood my attacker.