Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

Till Tonight Do Us Part

When I woke up the house was silent. I glanced at the clock and was startled to see that it was three in the afternoon. Usually at this time there was a lot of excitement, usually some yelling and always some music blaring. But the house was silent, it was scary.
I got out of bed and walked out into the living room. No one was there, which was extremely strange. Pete and Spencer never sleep, never. Ryan and Brendon do, but Pete and Spencer like to stay up all night watching TV. And they defiantly never sleep during the day.
I sat down on the couch and just stared at the TV. It wasn’t on but I kept staring at it. I kept expecting Skylar to walk through the door, but he wouldn’t. He was gone.
But it was strange; I didn’t feel any different than I did when we were apart for a long period of time. I’d expected to feel like half of me was missing, it was weird.
Finally, after I don’t know how long, I decided that I needed some fresh air. I walked over to the front door and opened it. To my surprise, Pete and Spencer were sitting on the front step. They looked surprised to see me.
“Izzye, how are you doing?” Pete asked, moving over so that I could sit in between him and Spencer. I shrugged as I sat down.
“Okay I guess.” I said. Yeah, I was only slowly dying on the inside. Ryan is right, I am such a liar.
“Jimmy and the others came home last night.” Pete said. I nodded.
“That’s good.” I said. I wasn’t really paying attention.
“Are your parents coming?” Spencer asked. I nodded. Couldn’t they tell that I didn’t want to talk about that? Apparently not.
“Where’s everyone else?” I asked after several long seconds of silence.
“Sleeping.” Pete said. Well this was extremely awkward. There was another extremely long and awkward silence.
“How did you guys get turned?” I asked suddenly. Spencer and Pete looked at me, then looked at each other, and then looked at me again.
“Why?” Spence asked slowly. I shrugged.
“I’m just curious.” I said, staring out into the street. Maybe if I wished hard enough Skylar would show up. Impossible I know, but I can dream, can’t I?
“Well it’s a long story for another time.” Pete said. In short, they don’t want me to know.
“You look tired, how’d you sleep?” Spencer asked. My twin brother just died, how do you think I slept?
“Fine.” I said, still staring out into the street. If I concentrated hard enough I could see Skylar walking towards us. But it was just my imagination.
“Do you know when your parents are going to get here?” Pete asked. I shook my head.
“No.” I said. And I didn’t care. I didn’t want to see them, seeing them would just mean a lot more crying.
“Are you sure you’re okay?” Spencer asked. I nodded again. Yes, I’m fine, my brother just died but you know, it doesn’t bother me at all! I was going to kill the next person who asked me if I was okay.
I won’t bore you with what happened the rest of the day, because, frankly, nothing happened. Everyone kept asking me if I was okay, (I didn’t kill anyone) Jimmy wouldn’t talk to me. (I found out later that he had been the one driving and felt guilty, I was going to have to talk to him soon.) I didn’t blame him for the accident, though I think that he thinks that I do.

*******

It was later that night and I was sitting in the living room with everyone, except for Jimmy, who was in his room. A few people were talking but I was not among them. I was staring at the blank TV again.
Suddenly there was a loud knock on the door and everyone turned to stare at me. It was my parents, we all knew it. Forcing myself, I got up off the couch and walked over to the door. Spencer followed me and I knew it was just in case it wasn’t my parents at the door. Well he didn’t have to worry because it was them.
My mom didn’t say anything; she just hugged me, bursting into tears. I didn’t cry, I was out of tears.
“Skyla, darling!” Mom said as she pulled away from me. Then my dad hugged me, and after him, Alexia hugged me. It was a bit awkward.
“Mom, Dad, Alexia, these are my friends.” I said, leading them into the room.
“Pete, Patrick, Andy and Joe. Brendon, Spencer, Jon, Rae and Ryan, my boyfriend.” I said without thinking. Everyone stared at me in surprise, including Ryan. Well I guess it was about time we made it known.
“You-your boyfriend?” Dad said, stuttering. I nodded and stood beside Ryan. He looked both confused and happy.
“Well then.” Mom said, staring at the floor. She was crying again.
“Why are you wearing sunglasses?” Alexia asked Rae. Crap, stupid little sisters!
“Um, well, because…” Rae started to say but I cut her off.
“Alexia! If you must know it’s because Rae was dating Skylar. Not everyone likes people to see them cry!” I snapped. I was proud of myself, it was a believable story.
“Oh, sorry.” Alexia said, glancing at Rae. Rae just nodded. Mom looked up, ran over to Rae and hugged her. Believe me, everyone was surprised.
“If you were dating him then you’re just like my daughter!” Mom said through her tears. Awkwardly Rae hugged her back.
“Um, thanks, that means a lot to me.” Rae said. She sounded believable.
As everyone started talking to my parents, making arrangements for them to stay, I slipped out of the room. I really didn’t feel like talking and everyone kept staring at me as if they were afraid I was going to break.
Unfortunately I apparently wasn’t going to get my way, I heard footsteps behind me. Turning around, I was surprised to see Rae. I had been expecting Ryan.
“Thanks.” She said. I nodded.
“No problem, you’re part of the family now.” I joked. Rae smiled weakly.
“I’m really sorry about your brother.” She said softly. I just nodded slowly.
“If you ever want to talk, I’m here.” She offered. I nodded again.
“Thanks.” I said. And I meant it.

*******

It was a week later and we were back in Calgary, for Skylar’s funeral. I’d finally gotten the whole story about what happened that night.
It had been raining and Jimmy was driving. Skylar had been in the passenger seat while Joe and Andy had been in the back. They’d been joking around, having a good time when suddenly, someone had been in the middle of the road. To avoid hitting them, Jimmy swerved, which caused the car to hit the ditch. It rolled four times, crushing the passenger side. Skylar was killed almost immediately and it’s a miracle that Joe survived.
I was chosen to speak about Skylar and I did, numbly. I can’t even remember what I said; it felt like I wasn’t really there. It was just my body, going through the motions of living.
It was a beautiful day, the day of the funeral. I would’ve felt better if it was raining, at least then it would have felt like God cared. But to me, with it being sunny, it felt like he was rejoicing. Why wouldn’t he, he had Skylar now.
Once the funeral was over we all went back to my parents’ house. Jimmy still wasn’t talking to me. I’d tried talking to him but he’d gotten mad and yelled at me. It hurt me so much to see him like this. I’d already lost my brother, and now I was losing my best friend too.
“Seems like our hearts are no longer intact.” Devin said. I jumped. I’d been sitting by myself in the backyard and hadn’t heard him come outside. I nodded as he sat down beside me.
“One piece is gone, one piece is breaking. We only have two now.” I said. When we’d first started the band, we’d decided that there were four parts of our hearts. One for each of us. Skylar’s part had died with him and now Jimmy’s part was breaking off with him. Only Devin and I were attached now.
“You know what I think?” Devin asked. I shook my head.
“I think we need to have F.I.H Day early this year.” He said. Slowly a smile spread across my face. My first smile since that night.
“That’s a great idea!” I cried, jumping to my feet. Devin grinned and stood up.
“Only, let’s not tell Jimmy about it, it’ll be a surprise!” I said. Devin nodded.
“Okay, we’ll say that we need to go pick up ice or something and then we’ll go out and buy presents. Then, later tonight, I’ll get Jimmy to come on a drive with me. You’ll be at the fort already and then we’ll surprise him!” Devin said. I was nodding vigorously.
“Okay, that’ll work!” I said, starting to walk towards the house. Devin grabbed my arm though.
“Izzye, maybe we should include everyone though.” He said. I stared at him in surprise.
“Why?” I asked.
“Because they’re apart of this too now.” He said quietly. He had a point.
“Fine, but don’t tell them what it is, I’ll get them to come to the fort.” I said. “Man this is going to be expensive!” I added. Devin laughed.
“Okay, let’s go!” He said.