Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

It Was Just How You Looked In The Light

I must have fallen asleep because when I opened my eyes it was light out. It took me a few seconds to realize that I was underneath the blanket. Someone, probably Pete, had put it over me. I was mad at myself for falling asleep, some very important conversation had probably happened and of course, I would have missed it!
I sat up and realized that I was the only one in the room. Pete was nowhere in sight and there’s not that many places that you can hide in a hotel room. Getting out of bed, I searched the room for my shoes. Darn it, they weren’t there! This day was off to a bad start already!
Feeling angry, I sat down on the bed. I wondered what time it was, but of course, there was no clock in the room. Of course there wasn’t, it would be too convenient if there was one!
I jumped as the door opened and Pete walked into the room. He was carrying my shoes, and when he saw that I was awake, he tossed them to me. I put them on quickly; it’s amazing how you can miss the simplest of things! I honestly missed my shoes! They’re like some kind of weird, messed up security blanket.
“How’d you sleep?” Pete asked. I didn’t answer. I’m never a happy person in the morning, especially not after I’ve been forced to spend the night somewhere I don’t want to be. Call me crazy, but that’s just me.
“Fine, be like that!” Pete said, rolling his eyes. He walked over to me and grabbed my arm, just above the elbow. He pulled me off of the bed and basically dragged me over to the door.
“Let go, I can walk by myself!” I said angrily. He smiled but didn’t let me go. I was really starting to regret coming down to Detroit.
Patrick, Andy and Joe were already out in the hallway. Judging by the way Andy and Joe didn’t seem surprised to see me I figured that Patrick had already told them what had happened last night.
“Let’s go.” Pete said, once we’d reached them. I went along nicely but Pete still didn’t let go of my arm until we were out on the street. Even then, he stayed right beside me.
They were all talking but I wasn’t paying attention. I was wondering about what happened to my book. Had it really disappeared or was I just going crazy? Neither choice was anything but depressing.
“What are you thinking about?” Pete asked me. I glanced at him.
“Purple gnomes.” I said coldly, wishing he could shut up so I could remember exactly what had happened right before Patrick had grabbed me. There was a dark shadow, or was there a shadow? Maybe I had imagined it.
“You are a crappy liar.” Pete said. I ignored him. I couldn’t get rid of the feeling that somehow, the scarf was connected to the stupid shadow and my book disappearing.
Pete started to say something but was interrupted by someone yelling my name. I looked up to see Devin, Jimmy and Skylar all walking towards us. I was so relieved to see them!
“Skyla Conner, what am I going to do with you?” Skylar asked once he reached us. I grinned at him to let him know that I was fine.
“First, you’re never going to call me Skyla ever again. Second, you’re going buy me a pony, and third, you’ll dye your hair turquoise.” I said, counting them off on my fingers. Everyone looked confused.
“Why turquoise?” Devin asked.
“Because I’ve never seen anybody with turquoise hair.” I said. Everyone laughed and I was amazed at how quickly everyone, excluding Devin, Skylar and Jimmy, could act like nothing had happened.
“You’re a freak!” Jimmy said. I shrugged. That was one argument I would never win.
“Yeah but you love me for it!” I said. He grinned and put his arm around my shoulders.
“Yeah, I guess.” He said. Usually I would have pretended to cry but I just wasn’t in the mood for that today. In fact, I wasn’t in the mood to do anything today.

*******

It was a week later and the night of the first show! I’d been very careful to avoid the members of Fall Out Boy, and they seemed to be avoiding me in return. To my surprise, Jimmy, Devin and Skylar didn’t ask me what happened that night so I said nothing.
We were all excited; we’d never played in front of this many people before. The place was packed! I played a few songs on my bass, trying to calm my nerves. It worked a little bit.
“You ready?” Jimmy asked me. I took a deep breath and nodded. This was it; this is what we had been waiting to do for a long time.
“Let’s go then!” He said with a grin. I nodded. It was time.
As we had worked out early with Mr. Simpson, we started playing the first song when it was still dark enough that no one could see us on stage. We started with
You’re Like The Stars, Nice To Look At, A Bitch To Hold. ((Okay, this part might get a bit confusing anything that is this colour is what Skylar sings. Anything that is this colour is what Izzye sings. This song is mine, so no stealing, it’s not that good but it’s good enough for the story I guess.))
“First time we spoke you touched my arm
Well it never stopped from there though I knew
I wasn’t enough you made your trips

Dark streets at night bedrooms at light

I’ve had enough of this cyanide and happiness
Let go of my leash let go of my soul

Get out of my head get off of my bed

If I could I’d place you in the sky
So I could stare at you all day and nothing more
I want no part of your lived in
craziness
A gazing from afar is all


I should’ve known after the first call
You lived in a psychedelic world
vacancy for noneTrusted my gut instinct and ignored your looks
Listened to my friends and dumped you then

It’s time to go the bells are ringing
Give me back my soul give me back my pants

Love and Lust have lost another

If I could I’d place you in the sky
So I could stare at you all day and nothing more
I want no part of your lived in
craziness
A gazing from afar is all


Let me gaze only gaze
The craziness well lived
All day for staring
Placing in the sky

I found your place in the sky
Let me help you disappear
Take along your pills and colours
A gazing from afar is all”

To our delight, the crowd cheered! The lights had come on during the song, so we could get a good look at the audience. I’d never seen so many people packed into one place! There was well over eight hundred people there!
“Hey guys, we’re Hearts Intact! That song was called
You’re Like The Stars, Nice To Look At, A Bitch To Hold! This next song is about having friends who will stand by you no matter what choices you make! It’s called Pop Rocks and Coke!” Skylar said. And with that we started playing the next song with the audience cheering.

*******

“Hey, congratulations, you guys were great!” Joe said after the concert. There was a lot of congratulations going around. I was leaning against the wall, trying to be invisible. I just wanted to keep reliving the show inside my head. The crowd had really seemed to like us.
Nothing else really happened that night, we were all tired so we went to bed early. (Mr. Simpson had given us a huge motor home to use, it was awesome!)