Father Figure

Fifty-One

Once I'd gotten the boys in bed and Sidney had finished unpacking, we went to the living room. I sat down on the chair, leaving him to sit on the couch. He gave me a confused and slightly worried look. 

"Is everything okay?" he asked once more. 

I nibbled on my lip. "Well... I guess so. I don't know what you'll think of it. It's just, um..." My eyes fell down to my hands. "Unexpected. Again."

"What is it?" he pushed. 

I inhaled deeply. The only thing I could think of was his expression when I'd asked him about the jersey for Vero. He didn't seem like he wanted more kids. He seemed almost horrified. What if he didn't want this baby at all?

"Whoa, why are you crying? Nathalie, come on. Talk to me," he begged as he moved to sit on the coffee table in front of me. His hand tried to hold mine, but I pulled away. 

"Sorry, I just... Okay," I whispered to myself. I quickly wiped at my face. I made eye contact with him finally. "So... Remember when we had sex the night before we officially became a couple?" I asked softly. 

His eyebrows nit together. "Yeah?"

I took a deep breath and reached for the dress I'd stashed under the chair in a bag. I pulled it up and rested it on my lap. Sidney looked even more confused than ever now. "We forgot a condom," I whispered. 

His face went white as he stared at me blankly. I looked away again as I pulled the little pink dress out and held it out to him. His eyes stared down at it, his expression unchanged. Slowly, his hands gingerly took it and held it in his lap. I pushed the bag off to the side and watched him. 

His thumbs ran over the soft, delicate material. His eyes studied the little eyelets at the bottom of the dress. "We're having a girl?" he finally asked as he looked up at me. 

I swallowed hard. "Yeah. In about four months or so," I added on. 

And then he pulled me forward into a tight hug. I didn't question it at all, I simply wrapped my arms around his waist and squeezed my eyes shut as I took in the feeling of his embrace. His hands rubbed my back slightly before we parted. 

He let out a sigh as he stared at me. I could see the smile on his face. "Looks like I'm screwed. I'll be whipped by two girls," he commented. 

I let out a soft laugh and pulled him into another hug. "At least you'll be loved by them, too," I mumbled. 

"Marc's little boy better stay the fuck away from her," he quickly added. 

I smirked and pulled back to kiss him. "Don't worry. Vero and I already started planning their wedding," I teased. 

He frowned. "They aren't even born yet. I don't even know if I like him yet. If he's anything like Marc, he's not marrying my daughter," he stated. 

I laughed and patted his cheek jokingly. "Whatever makes your little girl happy, though," I pointed out. 

He scowled. "We aren't talking about this for at least another thirty years. For now, we're going to get stuff figured out for when she gets here." He suddenly grinned. "I'm going to get to see everything this time..." he mumbled happily to himself. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Expect the last chapter tonight. =)