I'll Hum Along

Baby Faced Skype Calls

We were getting close to being on the final leg of the tour. The band was in Saskatoon, Marque’s absolute favourite place in the world (sarcasm), and I was starting to feel more homesick than usual. I never really got that way when I just had Finley, but when the twins came along, it became harder to be away from them for long periods of time. The boys knew that I was feeling a little upset, so they left me alone for a while so I could have a Skype call with Josh.

It was around three in the afternoon, one in Vancouver, so Finley was still in school, but Josh said he was home with the little monsters. I was sitting on my bed in the hotel room reading, and soon the little noise telling me someone wanted to talk to me on Skype sounded. I nearly flung myself off of the bed to get to the desk, and then clicked accept on the screen. It took a little while for the chat screen to pop up, because the hotel’s Wi-Fi was shit, but the biggest smile spread across my smile when it did.

“Hi baby.” I said to a tired looking Josh, who smiled. “How are you?”

“I’m good. How are you?” Josh asked me.

“Better, now that I can talk to you.” I smiled. “How’s everything at home?”

“Everything’s good. Finley absolutely loves grade two.” Josh said. Finley had recently started second grade, and it was hard to believe he was growing up so fast. I wasn’t sure I liked it. “And he misses you.”

“I miss him too. I miss all of you.” I said. “I don’t like being away from you guys.” Josh gave me a sympathetic smile.

“How much longer are you supposed to be on the road for?”

“About a week.” I said, with a slight frown.

“It will go by fast.” Josh said. I opened my mouth to say something, but he held up a finger, “Hold that thought.” Josh got up and disappeared from the screen, but soon reappeared, sitting back down in the chair with Kodiak on his lap. “He’s being a bit fussy today.” Josh told me. I smiled lightly. Josh tried to get Kodiak to look at the screen. When Kodiak finally did, he noticed me and tried to grab at Joshes computer.

“Hi, Kodi!” I said, waving my fingers at him. Kodiak got distracted by something else at the desk and started to play with that inside. “How’s he doing?” I asked.

“He’s doing really well. He had a bit of a fever last night, but he seems to be doing alright now.” Josh said. “Matt and Stephanie were over yesterday, and he was blowing raspberries at Matt all afternoon.” I giggled at that.

“He’s obviously my kid.” I said.

“Oh, yeah, he is. You know those white sunglasses I have? The ones you don’t like?” I nodded at him. “Kodiak got hold of them the other day and threw them across the floor.”

I snorted, “Ah, such a momma’s boy.” I said, rather proudly.

“Both of the boys seem to take after you.” Josh said.

“Well, they need some kind of fatherly role model in their life.” I smirked and Josh pouted. “Come on, let’s be honest, I’m pretty much the guy in our relationship. I don’t walk around with pockets of glitter.”

“That was supposed to be theatrical.” Josh said.

“It was kind of lame.” I said. Josh frowned again. “So many gay jokes stemmed from that, you have no idea.”

“How would you know that?” Josh raised an eyebrow.

“I have a Tumblr. I know things. People also ship you and Matt.” I said.

“Ship?” Josh looked confused.

“It’s like a pairing.” I said. Josh still looked confused. “People pair you and Matt up in a romantic way, you idjit.”

Josh thought for a moment, and then a look of disgust spread across his face. “Oh.” I chuckled and shook my head. “I’m not going to be able to look at Matt the same way ever again.”

“You’ve had a sex dream about him, and this is what got you?” I raised an eyebrow.

“He rejected me in all the dreams, so…” Josh shrugged.

“How many dreams did you have?” I exclaimed and Josh only laughed. Kodiak started to get fussy again. Kodiak didn’t like being in one place for too long.

“I should probably put him down for a nap before I have to pick up Finley.” Josh said, and then huffed. “This whole ‘parenting’ thing is much easier when you’re around.”

I smiled, “I love you Josh.”

“I love you too.” Josh smiled back before waving Kodiak’s little arm at me. I ended the call and leaned back in the chair.

“One more week.” I told myself. I exhaled and got out of the chair, going to look for the rest of the boys.