I Stay Calm Through the Storm

Who is Roger Federer? : What of a Die-hard Nadal Fan Thinks

When you talk about legends, one name instantly comes to your mind that is Roger Federer. When you talk about sporting legends then you actually can’t think of anyone better than him. There are legends in many sports – be it Michael Schumacher in Formula 1 or Sachin Tendulkar in Cricket or Muhammad Ali in boxing or Tiger Woods in golf. But one name separates itself from the rest, which is Roger Federer. Not just because of his magic on the court but due to his magic off it too. By magic I mean true sportsman, a role model, a gentleman who cares for the community and society. He is a generous and kind hearted man who simply loves tennis and plays for the passion he has for the game.

Roger Federer has a complete game which any tennis player could ever wish to have. He has the powerful forehand, single handed backhand, excellent volleys, nice soft hands to play the drop shots, can play the lob, has a blistering serve, you say it and he has it. Yet, what makes him so special is his elegant style of playing which very few have. He makes it look ridiculously easy the way he plays gracefully and smoothly as if he was born to play tennis. Another feature he has is his ability to play almost impossible shots from nowhere. His epic in between the legs shot has been labeled as the greatest shot ever played in the history of tennis. Not just because of the class in the shot but also because of the occasion at which he played it for the first time in the US Open semi- final against Novak Djokovic.

Roger Federer has all records which a tennis player could dream of. Here is a list of some of them :-

Federer has won 16 Grand Slam titles, breaking the previous all-time men's record of 14 by Pete Sampras. Federer won 16 Majors in a span of 27 Majors (2003 Wimbledon – 2010 Australian Open), while Sampras won 14 in 49 majors (1990 US Open – 2002 US Open)
Federer won five consecutive men's titles at Wimbledon from 2003–07, matching a feat achieved only by Borg in the open era.
Federer holds the open-era record for most consecutive US Open titles at five (2004–08).
Federer won his first eight hard-court Grand Slam finals (2004, 2006–07 AO and 2004–08 US Open), an all-time men's record. His first loss in a hard-court Grand Slam final came at the 2009 Australian Open against Nadal.
He has also been the world no1 for most no.of weeks.

Apart from all these things mentioned above what Federer has achieved as a professional can’t be written in records. His rivalry with Rafael Nadal is rated as the greatest tennis rivalry of all time. His consistency and longevity in the game is remarkable which makes him also one of the greatest sportsperson of all time.
In the end I would like to conclude by saying that when you talk about tennis you talk about Roger Federer because he has redefined the sport.

- A Nadalator Through and Through (Aditya Sen)
♠ ♠ ♠
My friend was quite articulate with his views,right?I never edited it. I wanted authenticity. And I pretty much guess I got it.
Comments?Oh c'mon - I need them!! Clean,please - and long if you prefer.

Love,
Tanushree