Status: Work in Progress

Physical Therapy

meeting the team

Ray, Dan and I have spent the last hour talking and I am getting nervous again because the meeting is coming to a close and I still don’t know if I have the job.

“Well Roxanne, I think I speak for both of us when I say we would love for you to join our team and become the physical therapist here.” Ray said

“Oh my gosh, thank you so much you have no idea what this means to me.” I said excitingly

“Well all I think we need to do is sign couple forms and then you start tomorrow, how does that sound?” Dan asked.

“I would love to start tomorrow. I just have a couple questions, will I be that only woman on your staff?” I asked

“Yes you would be the only woman. Is that going to be a problem?”Dan asked curiously.

“No, no problem I like guys better anyway, less catty” I said with a small laugh.

“Yeah you don’t have to worry about that here. Did you have another question?” Ray asked

“Yes, what is the right outfit to where to work? Am I going to be working in jeans or sweats?” I asked curiously

“Oh you can wear whatever allows you to do your job the easiest, so sweats or jeans if that is what you’re comfortable in.” Dan said

“Okay, so where do I sign?” I said smiling like I just won the Stanley Cup.
*********************************************************************************
“Where are you!?!” I texted Sarah

“At my desk, Why?”

“I need to talk to you now!” I texted back, making my way to her desk.

I finally found it and just about cried when I saw her.

“What? Oh did you interview go bad? Don’t cry you will find I job, just don’t give up” she said thinking these were sad tears. Then a smile broke out on my face and I jumped for joy around her little desk.

“So I guess it went good?” she said smiling at me.

“It was amazing. I am starting tomorrow and I am so excited.” I said “Oh and guess what?”

“What?”

“I get to wear sweats to work! Ha! No heels and pantyhose for me” I said smiling.

“Wow you’re lucky. I have to wear this to work every day and your get to be comfy” She said looking down at her outfit.

“Well I am going to go home and get ready for tomorrow. I will see you at home. Bye sis” I said with a smile and left.

“Bye, see you later” she shouted after me.

After getting into the car I let out a big happy sigh and drove home with a smile on my face.
*************************************************************************
The next morning I woke up 3 hours before I had to and got ready too fast and had about 2 hours to kill before we had to leave. So I got something to eat, drank my coffee and watched some T.V. before we left.

“You ready?” Sarah asked

“Yeah, a little nervous but who wouldn’t be?” I said going down stairs

“I still cant believe you are going to be working with the team and I am stuck up in an office all day.” She said sadly

“Tell you what, when I have a good relationship with them I will introduce you to them.” I said trying to cheer her up.

“Really?” she said looking at me

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I. You’re my big sister I would do anything for you.” I told her honestly
“Thanks that means a lot.”

“I know now let’s go before we are late” I said starting the car up.

The drive to the arena was a relaxing one and I was ready to face the day head on.

Pulling up to the arena Sarah said “well I need to get to work so I will see you at…?”

“I get off at 2 but I will be back to pick you up then I was thinking we could go out to dinner to celebrate?”

“Yeah that sounds good. See you then, love you and have a good first day.” She said during our hug.

“Thanks I need it” I said hugging her back.

I made my way into the arena and then the back hallways to the trainer’s rooms. I finally found Dan and he welcomed me to the arena and told me he would be introducing me to the team
soon so I should stick around. Waiting outside the locker room my nerves came back full force. I could hear Dan talking in the locker room to the guys.

“Yesterday we hired a new physical therapist and I hope you all are on your best behavior. Make her feel welcome without scaring her off.” He said

“Her?” I heard someone say.

“Great here we go.” I said under my breath

“Yes, her, so if you could keep it in your pants that would be greatly appreciated.” He said, I had to laugh at that one. He sounded like a father talking to his sons not a coach talking to a team.

Then I heard Dan say “Roxanne can you come in here?”

I walked in trying to look confident and not letting 20 full grown men that are twice my size intimidate me.

“Okay everyone this is Roxanne, Roxanne this is everyone” he said and laughed a little.

“Hi” I said kind of shyly

I got a chorus of Hi’s or Hey’s back and felt a little better that was until I saw a guy stand up and start walking towards me.

“Hello, my name is Max and might I say you are so beautiful” he said while taking my hand and kissing it.

“I know who you are and if you want to stay standing I would back away now” I said calmly

He just looked at me and said “What are you going to do to me. What are you 5 foot?”

“5’1 to be exact and seeing that I am a chiropractor I know every single pressure point in your body and can put you on your knees in seconds” I told him with a fake smile.

“Oh I would love to see that” he said full of himself

“Well I wouldn’t want embarrass you in front of your friends” I said looking around noticing every pair of eyes were on us.

“I don’t mind” he said
“Don’t say I didn’t warn you” I said putting my hair in a pony tail. Then I took his hand and twisted it behind his back and kicked the back of his knees and he was laying face down with me on top of him. Every single person in the room was laughing so hard they were either crying or turning another color.

“Say you are sorry” I told him still on top of him.

“I’m sorry, please get off” he asked nicely

So I got off him and stood up looking around as if saying ‘anyone else?’ Everyone just looked at me and I think I earned some respect.

“So tell us about yourself” Dan said after the awkward moment

“Well, my name is Roxanne Stone but you can call me Roxy. I just moved here from a small town in Florida with my sister. I went to Florida State University. What else do you want to know?” I asked

“How did you do that?” another guy asked which I recognized at Marc-Andre Fleury the goalie.

“That? Oh when you’re as small as me you need to know some self defense.” I said easily laughing a little.

“Okay, do you know anything about hockey?” Sidney Crosby my sisters lifelong crush asked.

“Just because I grew up in Florida doesn’t mean I don’t know anything about hockey. My mom grew up in Minnesota and my dad is a big Detroit fan. Actually you guys are me and my sisters favorite team.”I said

“You like us?” Evgeni Malkin said in his cute broken English. He was way better looking in person than on TV not saying he was ugly on TV. I don’t know what I am saying.

“I mean…yeah…well I don’t really know you but…from what I see on TV and in interviews I like you guys already?” I said ending it sounding like a question. ‘Great now they think I am crazy or a babbling idiot’ I say to myself

“Well not to cut this short but we have to go practice and you have to start working on some of the guys” Dan said turning to me.

“Sure, tell me who I am working with and where you want me to work.” I told him

“You will be with Geno today he needs to rehab his knee. You can work on him in the workout room right through those doors Geno will show you the way.” He said looking at Geno.

“Sure thing, coach” he said in a heavy accent

“Okay I will leave you to it. Let’s go guys time to practice.” He yelled trying to pump them up for practice. They all barreled out of the room leaving me and Geno alone.

“Hi I Evgeni but you call Geno” he said in broken English pointing to himself. He is so cute but I know he is off limits.

“Hi you can call me Roxy” I said shyly like a school girl talking to my crush. ‘Oh lord, no you can’t fall for him, it’s not right’ I told myself but my heart still fluttered in my chest when he looked down at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading and tell me what you think, good or bad. Thanks so much,
Kirsten :)